Poker table banter and cross talk: Viable strategy, or unacceptable behavior?

CNXRegie

CNXRegie

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
William Kassouf rose to notoriety during the 2016 WSOP Main Event for his use of verbal tactics to throw his opponents off balance and constant pushing of rules and boundaries. What is your opinion - is this type of play a valid strategy in live poker, or was Kassouf's behavior just way out of line and bordering on cheating?

There's a fine line between gamesmanship and just being downright annoying. William Kassouf, he's a character at that 2016 wsop, that's for sure. But you know, the game's always had its share of talkers - Phil Hellmuth, famous for his emotional outbursts and trash-talking; Tony G, known for his aggressive and provocative table talk; Daniel Negreanu, for his friendly banter and attempts to read his opponents; Mike Matusow, who's not shy about expressing his opinions and trash-talking and Phil Laak, for his quirky and humorous table talk. It can definitely be a valid strategy to get inside your opponent's head. It's all part of the psychological warfare that makes poker so damn interesting.

Now, there's a point where it goes too far, and I think Kassouf might've danced on that line a bit. Pushing the boundaries is one thing, but you've gotta be respectful of the game and your opponents. Poker's a game of integrity, and if you're crossing the line into outright cheating, that's just not cool.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's perfectly acceptable as long as it's not abusive or offensive. Live tables take Poker to another level. The psychological game shows all its grandeur at live tables.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
William Kassouf rose to notoriety during the 2016 WSOP Main Event for his use of verbal tactics to throw his opponents off balance and constant pushing of rules and boundaries. What is your opinion - is this type of play a valid strategy in live poker, or was Kassouf's behavior just way out of line and bordering on cheating?

I don't think it's valid, it's ugly and border grotesque, and the punishment for doing that? one round penalty, and if don't shut You'll get 2 rounds sir.:confused:

Last edited:
dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Often a player with a loose tongue and not the best upbringing tries to unbalance his opponent before an important decision. Inappropriate jokes, thinking out loud, psychological pressure or veiled insults can turn you into an ordinary fan for a while.However, systematic abuse of this technique will not decorate your game at all and will make your opponents be hostile towards you.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think banter is part of the game as is trying to put players on tilt. I don't mind it if the players talking spread it around to all players but I do not like it when they target a particular player. A silent table can be boring and part of poker is the social aspect so some table talk is appropriate. However, abuse, criticisms, and bullying should not be allowed. Also, if someone complains to the floor, the offending player should be told to stop their behavior. I also think the dealer should be paying attention and let players know to settle down if things go too far or are bordering on going too far.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Уильям Кассуф прославился во время Главного События WSOP 2016 года благодаря использованию словесных тактик, чтобы вывести своих оппонентов из равновесия, а также постоянному нарушению правил и границ. Как вы думаете, является ли такая игра допустимой стратегией в живом покере, или поведение Кассуфа было просто выходящим за рамки нормы и граничащим с мошенничеством?

This means players should be fined or disqualified for such behavior. And if poker rules don't provide for penalties and disqualifications, then let players continue to behave like this.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I think talking can be part of the strategy... but not trash talking in my humble opinion.
Trying to influence an opponent decision when there is a huge pot in the middle of the table can be profitable, it depends of course on the mental strength of the opponent. And if you don't break the "insult limit", I consider it an acceptable behavior, provided that the talkative doesn't disturb obviously voluntarily the concentration of his opponent.
But as soon as trash talking is used, the dealer has to stop it.

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips

In my opinion, poker is "war", and you should use all methods allowed by law to win. I only play online poker, so I have no experience in playing live, but even when playing online, I cut myself off from all stimuli that may distract me. So in a live game you can use all verbal methods to keep your opponent off balance, or you can keep him off balance by completely ignoring his chatter, treating him like an air.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion it's a valid strategy game, officially it's not against the rules, a lot of poker players do the same thing. Of course it's disturbing other player to make a right decision but this is a poker. Kassouf's behavior might have been seen as excessive or even annoying by some, it did not technically violate the rules of the game. It's up to individual players to decide whether they want to engage with this kind of strategy or not, and adapt their own approach accordingly.

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Aways will depend on who are your oponent and how are there mood :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
God bless

billibooo

billibooo

Giddy Up!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

First of all....this guy is quite annoying...but I must say the sassy biotch inside me would love to sit at his table. Years of bartending made this way...sorry. It is a weak strategy that does not phase me but it should get him a punch in the face from time to time. That is a comforting thought :p
It is acceptable in tournament play, so you just have to know how to counteract it <3

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any kind of abuse verbal or otherwise is unacceptable. he should of been warned and punished in my opinion.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
disgusting behavior , very bad attitude . Sometimes speech play is part of the game , i dont use it , but i know that most people use it , in a very important pot , crucial for their tournament life

But to do this all the time , in almost every hand , in every tourney that sucks

In this hand he was warned to stop doing it , but he kept on doing it . The tournament director came (which means possible punishment) , yet he went on with this speech play . Even when he was told not to speak anymore , he tried with gestures . Apparently he did it to insult that woman , show his talent . he was punished and that was right

I believe that this punishment should be imposed in every similar occasion , or even more harsh and strict . Such a disrespectful behavior should not be tolerated at the tables

One thing is strategy using speechplay in a respectful way , with limits , and another thing is this behavior , this aggressive , insulting behavior . Its way out of the line

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, it is a live poker strategy, it reminds me of a fragment of the Molly Bloom movie, in this case what I see is that it bothers the competitor's decision where it bothers until she uses her time bank, which happens and in the last seconds he throws his cards. For me it is well penalized, it is fine to use this strategy but not to the point of losing concentration and/or bothering another competitor, as well as ruining the game atmosphere as the annoyance is also noticeable in the other players, I think that when one uses your time bank. Another player must not be allowed to intervene in it.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe poker talk/chatter is OK and part of the game. I have had players try all sorts of stuff to get me to crack including this one very 80+ old lady showing me a good portion of her breast trying to get something out of me. Its just part of the fun of the game. By the way after she folded the hand and went off to the break, I was told I did not flinch at all by the players at the table. LOL

I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to play against one very well know professional (Shaun Deeb) in my 1st WPT main and people know his reputation. I saw his rougher side. The thing that I also noticed over the 8 hours we played together was the way most people played and talked to him to get him. Some were rude and a few were being outright jerks to get him to react. I on the other hand was myself and Shaun and I did talk some about our kids and other stuff. When another person he knew joined the table they started playing some game to entertain themselves and got a few people including me to join in. It was actually a blast. One of the greatest poker moments in my life happens just after Shaun was knocked out. He came over and shook my hand and said "You have played really well today, and it was a pleasure playing with you." Many players from my area have played against him since he is from the area, and most are shocked by what happened to me. You have to wonder is there would be less issues with the table talk if people just did not be jerks to some of these people who blow up.

As for players like Kassouf especially in that video. Its not good for the game. It may be good for him but not overall for the game. In my early days of playing, I was in Vegas playing a cash game before flying home. Ine player came to the table and was acting just like Kassouf and going hard after me. After a while some pro told him to stop tapping the glass. He did not and after a while I said I was done and left the table. I had planned to play for a few more hours but was no longer having fun playing. The pro left with me. We had played a lot over the few days I was there, and I got the nerve to ask what don't tap the glass meant while in the cash out line? I knew it was referencing me. After a few moments to think about it he said since I was leaving, and we would not probably play against he would tell me. You know when you go to a pet store and got to the fish tanks and see the sign don't scare the fish? I knew what he meant. I was the fish and I knew it. He then said "don't tap the glass, you scare away the fish and aggravate the sharks. There are 2 types of players fish who get scared and leave the game for good and baby sharks why get scared and leave but then learnt the game so next time you see what a fish is, is now a shark. " If players like Kassouf keep on doing this or more players start to do the same how many players will stop playing those events.

Table talk is OK even if being used to an advantage. It's not OK once it crosses a line and what he was doing crossed the line for sure.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
First of all....this guy is quite annoying...but I must say the sassy biotch inside me would love to sit at his table. Years of bartending made this way...sorry. It is a weak strategy that does not phase me but it should get him a punch in the face from time to time. That is a comforting thought :p
It is acceptable in tournament play, so you just have to know how to counteract it <3
Now you need to qualify for WSOP 😀

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, as long as the opponent doesn't lack respect for the other player, it's valid.
I learned to completely ignore this type! of tactics in which the opponent tries to take my concentration!;):rolleyes::cautious:

Antonioadv

Antonioadv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

it can be a viable strategy, as long as it is not abusive, there are players who use this strategy and become very insistent in their jokes and conversations, and end up causing discomfort and enmity with other players. Poker is a game for making friends, so we have to be careful with any kind of excess.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Cross-talk at the poker table, on the one hand, I don’t mind if it doesn’t distract me, or rather, if it doesn’t take me out of my comfort zone. I understand that there are players who use such tactics, and it does not take a great psychologist to know that such tactics are not born without advice. The atmosphere at the table should be friendly, despite the fact that poker, as they say, is war; Yes, we gather around the table to play for money, but that does not mean that offensive or demeaning conversations are acceptable. This behavior must be punished.

Last edited by a moderator:
ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Communication at the poker table gives additional color to the game. If someone does not behave very nicely, then this relates to his upbringing. In any case, it seems to me that poker broadcasts are a show, and there should be something other than cards. Let someone look like a rude person, someone like a nice person, maybe this is part of the script.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Well I watched the video and didn't find what he did offensive at all. I do wonder if it was a man he did this to, would it even be mentioned. I know women sometimes get bullied at the tables and that absolutely needs to stop, however I wonder if all women are now being treated as if they need to be coddled ?? It's a fine line sometimes, people are on edge, not wanting to offend someone.
I think banter is acceptable, I mean good grief, has no one watched Hellmuth....lol. As long as its reasonable, but that goes back to the first point, who is to say what is reasonable? I guess that is up to bosses at the tables and people will have to accept that.

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
When you get an attention call is becouse you are out of line. Anyway"talking" is a normal strategy in a game with incomplete information and make the Game friendly and interesting, You want do to everything is possible to get more info on your opponents but what he were trying to was pissed her off, looking a fold, affecting her mind and that should not be permit, of course she just had to ignore him and don't play his Game, is theres a Poker Face, why not a Poker Ears too 😂😉

SES Inc.

SES Inc.

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I agree there should be some talking at the table. It keeps the game light and social. I don't believe one should be allowed to be rude or ultra aggressive in speech . That is just unacceptable.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I believe talking to other poker players at the table and making fun of a situation is ok, but you need to be careful not to cross the line. I mean if your banter is insulting the other players or even talking about the hand in progress to try influence the results or the action of another player I think that is disrespectful and in my opinion the person that does that should be kicked out from the tournament/ cash table.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips

it is a valid strategy because he is just using his mouth to keep his opponent off their strategy it's not like he is looking at their hands or something

as long as he is not using foul language i'm all good at it, it will add spice to the game instead of all people are quiet and just thinking