When to fold pocket jacks?

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to always see a cheap flop (limp in or raise a little) with JJ and hope to hit another J on the flop. If not, then hope for no Q,K or A on the flop and start betting. If its late in a tournament (big blinds) you have to pay more attention to position and player stacks, bets/actions before your turn, players tendencies, then you can either fold, limp, call, raise min, or go all in depending on players and situation. Don be afraid to fold JJ if you think you might be beat any time. but also try to play them like KK with bets.

Last edited:
kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold if a lot of raising has been going on before you unless you are absolutely sure that you are on a table full of donks who will play like that with low pocket pairs...
You should avoid multiway pots with this hand like the plague...
If you are up against 1 opponent you have good chancesm but each additional player entering will make it almost impossible to figure out where you are postflop.
Try to see cheap flops and then buy the pot on the flop... If there is someone with a higher pair you shouldn't be able to see a cheap flopm so this is unlikely then...

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising and re-raising from early position with pocket jacks is a good idea to see a cheap flop.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are 4 ways to play pocket Jacks and they are all wrong.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to think in terms of opening ranges. If a player UTG raises and you look down at pocket J's you should only call here and set mine as your J's are more likely behind on an UTG opening raise. However, if you are in the SB and the button opens you should be more apt to raise for value as your J's are more likely to be ahead of a late position raiser.

T

Tystick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online if you min raised and get re raised always!

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn’t fold em pre flop unless the price is extremely high

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wish there was away to play jj without losing 90 percent of the time.

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
From personal experience. I think you should fold them, as soon as you see that you have been dealt pocket Jacks.

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold if a lot of raising has been going on before you unless you are absolutely sure that you are on a table full of donks who will play like that with low pocket pairs...
You should avoid multiway pots with this hand like the plague...
If you are up against 1 opponent you have good chancesm but each additional player entering will make it almost impossible to figure out where you are postflop.
Try to see cheap flops and then buy the pot on the flop... If there is someone with a higher pair you shouldn't be able to see a cheap flopm so this is unlikely then...

Yes sir! That’s what I say. There is no one answer here. It all depends on situation.

mandachuva

mandachuva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've only folded jacks pre-flop a few times in situations where there had been 4 bets and 5 bets ahead of me though it seems that I should be folding them more often. I tend to shove on top of any re-raise but I realize that hand ranges really tighten up when deep stacked. What situations are you folding jacks pre-flop? How many BB? What position? Etc? Yesterday I tried flatting a 3 bet with my jacks to be cautious but the flop came 494 and I check raised then got jammed on and he had queens, how can I avoid this scenario?

Giving up post flop

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I can play for a set on the cheep, I'll do it , but with a full table It's kind of tough.
Big raise, I am gone, especially out of position. In position, short handed, raise.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
After the flop,if 2 of the cards are higher,I usually fold.

Folding in Poker