What do you recommend to learn to play poker... books or videos?

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books are way better, because you get a better insight of the thinking process, when experienced players review their important hands. Videos are mostly only highlights and don't reflect poker as it is.

oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
Videos, and especially play in free games to gain experience, practice

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Poker is practice , and otherwise there is no such thing as teaching poker...
This is my personal vision..
To learn , play free roll and you will learn
Watch videos that entrench information in your brain

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Me difficult to advise, but I personally more prefer learning video: this is more visual by my opinion...

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I recommend the videos, you can watch more games sooner than from a book.
The more parties you see, the more you can incorporate what you see into your game.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can read and watch all you want, but i think the best way to learn and develop your own game is by playing freerolls or very small entry fee tournaments

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want learn poker you must play poker. This is the best school of poker. Of course learning from books or videos isn't bad but getting experience from playing is the most valuable i think.

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In my opinion, all material that can be consumed is good. I also agree with many of my colleagues, when they say that you learn more from the videos, the point is that there are various concepts in poker that sometimes do not appear in the videos, such as the "Mental Game", which is so necessary to withstand the Bat Beats that happen every moment and let's not go into TILT, for which there are very important books that talk about how they cope with that psychological part of poker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You would do well learning from both sources to be honest. The only think about books is make sure they are still relevant to today's game. Harrington on holdem was a great series of books in 2005 and many things in those books would help beginners today. The problem is there is a lot of dated material that would not fit today's game. You should try out the CC course, "Become a winning poker player in 30 days" Its free and one great course to start with.

waitandblead123

waitandblead123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I watch videos of other players playing

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What do you recommend for learning how to play poker... books or videos?

I want to learn how to play poker and not what is the best option

Both, but be careful when watching videos there are some lucky plays out there, Doyle Brunson's famous 10/2 hand is one that is worth watching but you need to understand why he called an All-in from his opponents with that hand, first of all he had a massive chip stack over his opponent that would not hurt him too much had he doubled the other player, also he knows that the hand is never over until the River is dealt.
But to be honest, the only way to learn Poker is to play the game, It is often said "you can learn to play in 5 minutes, but it takes a lifetime to master" which is very true, the most important thing in being a profitable player is to find a game you are comfortable playing. Whether that is Limit, Pot Limit, or No Limit is up to you, but every game variant needs a different approach, in Limit games there will be less bluffing because calling a bet from someone only costs 1 blind, but in No Limit there will be times where a bluff is the only way to win.
Finally have a bankroll Management Strategy that works, there is no use in depositing $100 Dollars and buying into $25 Dollar games hoping to win big, because in no time you will need to make more deposits, Find a strategy that works and stick to it. I know many players that start by playing freerolls then using those winnings to buy-into micro stake games, it takes time but is profitable in the long run.

Good Luck!

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
It depends upon what you like , if you like to read then go for hte books. if you like visual then go for the videos. both are equally good for improving poker

Adi_XAS

Adi_XAS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
I think both are very helpful, but practicing it is also important.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the videos and charts and icmizer for tournaments.

A

Ajames2206

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I
What do you recommend for learning how to play poker... books or videos?

I want to learn how to play poker and not what is the best option
would say it depends how you’re best at learning.
some people are visual and some are better off reading.
if you don’t know try both and see which works best.
pits not one size fits all

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
IMO both, I learned a lot from different books(if I had to pick one I'll go with The mental game of poker by Jared Tendler) but every content is good and lately I enjoy watching different poker streams on Twitch/ YouTube and I recommend watching pro players that stream the games you plan to grind and for sure it will help improve your game* same with other videos on YouTube about strategy and other tips...

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
To be honest: I was playing terribly until I joined the cardschat.com forum. Video, Books, beeing CC forum member and practise - this is the way to upgrade Your skill. Sometimes I also play wirtual money at pokerstars - the players play as good as for real money. But for sure beeing an active member gives me a lot of knowledge. I will alwayse mention it and thanks to CC when I will win some good turnament. I am sure it will happen soon.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, both are important. The books teach you theory and in the videos you train the applicability of the theory. It's almost like you're playing the table with them. That's why videos increase your gaming experience. However, in both cases it is necessary to have a student attitude, when reading the book and watching the video.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have to pick one, then definitely videos. Books are static and tend to get outdated, whereas you can always find videos, that are current, either on training sites or even free on a platform like Youtube.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why don't you start at the beginning with video lessons, and then gradually move on to books. Despite the fact that books may be more difficult for a beginner, it is better for you to combine the lessons. A combination of visual and mental contacts.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think vidoe with good coach and then read sone books and repeat

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, nowadays there is a lot of video material, which you can take advantage of on YouTube as on other platforms, I recommend that to start, here in the club there is also study material.