How to play a freeroll with thousands of players

C

capara20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, you should play tight at the beginning and have a lot of patience.

in these kind of tournaments at early stage you should only enter with tops or pairs.

dont tempt to do ALL-IN pre-flop .

R

RandyMarsh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the game but the table can be pretty crazy until the 1st break. As its a freeroll a lot of players will just be shoving extremely wide early on so if you want to accumulate decent chip stack I would loosen ur calling range early

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the game but the table can be pretty crazy until the 1st break. As its a freeroll a lot of players will just be shoving extremely wide early on so if you want to accumulate decent chip stack I would loosen ur calling range early

Have you cashed with this strategy? It's better to be patient and sit and watch the "Crazy" until you have a premium hand and then you're prepared.

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no secret formula to always reach the final table, you have to play each hand as a final hold it in not always who has the best hand wins, you have to show all your knowledge and skills to beat your opponents.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have the mindset that you need to play A LOT of freerolls with >1000 entrants before you make it to the money. In your tournament, the only significant money (more than 25 cents) is probably on the final table, so only 10 of 3000 (equivalent to 1:300) to win some money. Therefore, you should not expect to get into the money with this tournament more than about once per year (if you play it everyday).
My advise is find freerolls with less entrants; play lots of freerolls from many different sites (I play about 10 freerolls a day from various sites); play in the cardschat freerolls which have a good prize with few entrants.

L

ljstephens11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have the mindset that you need to play A LOT of freerolls with >1000 entrants before you make it to the money. In your tournament, the only significant money (more than 25 cents) is probably on the final table, so only 10 of 3000 (equivalent to 1:300) to win some money. Therefore, you should not expect to get into the money with this tournament more than about once per year (if you play it everyday).
My advise is find freerolls with less entrants; play lots of freerolls from many different sites (I play about 10 freerolls a day from various sites); play in the cardschat freerolls which have a good prize with few entrants.

Once a year!? Well, that put some things in perspective for me. Thank you

J

jacksonionh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll Strategy

I play on a lot of bet online freerolls. About 1200-1900 people normally sign up. I have found that the strategy that works best for me is to get an early double up on a good hand from one of the super aggressive players who don't care because it's a Freeroll. Then I play normal and tighter poker from about 1000-400 players. Then it gets tougher because all the players left are not total fish. I end up regularly getting out around 150 people left. Do I need to play much tighter when I'm around that many players left? Normally top 40 or less cash. I keep struggling to get to that area even though I'm normally in top 100 in chips til it breaks 200 players then it goes downhill. Any and all freeroll advice is welcome, especially advice specifically for 1000+ player freerolls.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no strategy for tournaments that always works...you always have to focus on the player(s) you are against and try to outwit them.
But I can say that TAG playstile is usually a good choice for these tourneys. :)

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most mass freerolls are push/fold shootout, skill taking less than 10% of the things needed to win it, if you don't have luck and don't crack aces with 78 offsuit, you probably won't win much.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
with the same strategy strong premium hand grind grind grind

I played very freeroll and all that is plaform , with the same strategy strong premium hand grind grind grind , marginal weak hand fold fold fold , but poker has not regularly have day that works the other not , want to form starting bankroll of freeroll to have skill after deposits and larger tournaments
good luck in poker and in life

FaelN

FaelN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to win a freeroll you need a lot of patience the difference between freerolls and regular games is that people shove more in the beginning and this is where one strategy works you wait for a good hand and shove and double up easier its really works

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Free rolls are generally where I like to practice making solid percentage decisions. I am not usually trying to set a trap or make a move on a player as there are too many people that have no idea I am doing anyway. Solid play and well timed aggression are generally the things that will win you a free roll.

M

Mattlemore03

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've cashed in several and have won acouple on ACR, but finish right around 30th consistently... Looking at some graphs on Hold Em Indicator and noticed I get really nitty later in the crap shoot, then dwindle away

M

m3th0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play hard and fast during the first hour- your goal is to amass a bunch of chips but get your money in with good hands and win your flips-
Once you got the chips then bully the rest of the low stack players and be aware of big stacks- Ride the waves up and down to the final table.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My record in a freeroll is 68th out of roughly 7500 players.

My strategy was:
- Fold 90% of hands in the early stages
- Use the "shove-or-fold" strategy when under 10BB
- Steal blinds
- Take advantage of players who are sitting out

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early look for cheap flops and get it all in with nuts or near nuts postflop.
Play tightagg until about level 8 when the antes are added. Most of the allindonkeys will have eliminated each other by then. Make potsized raisesteals in position to build stack. Get more aggressive near cash line, players will be folding to protect their stacks.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some peeps go all in and if they can double up a few times, then they play regular, I use to play these, but not anymore, I like smaller crowds if you know what I mean.

zarrmonster

zarrmonster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whew, that many entrants, you better have an enormous amount of patience and plan on folding a lot.

Without a doubt, it will be a donkfest or sure.

Good luck to you on and off the felt

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advise by other posters (early tight - only good hands)
My advise though is for you to realize that with 150 players ITM out of a pool of 3000 entrants means you are only going to make it to the money 5% of the time IF YOU PLAY GOOD POKER. So don't get discouraged if you play 20 games and only make it to the money once. Statistically, this is normal.

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the first few hands you must go all-in with AA,KK,QQ,AK people will call you with a lot of worse hands so that's a easy triple/double up. Then i would recommend playing tight-aggressive. Don't bluf to often a lot of players will call with almost everything and play your hands aggressive for maximum value.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such a variation on advice here ! all in early... tight early... It seems there is no ideal way to play because the overwhelming factor is the huge amount of entrants pushes the luck element much higher than tournaments with fewer participants...

Bullwink is spot on... If you're gonna play Freerolls... Find ones that have the fewest entrants possible

J

Joaquin Moris

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the pool prize is low (related to your BR), just all-in in the first hand and play doubled. If the pool is low it doesn't deserve my time.