How do you analyse other players?

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. I meant 'lanterns' & 'semi-lanterns'.
Since even CardsChat's Poker glossary has no entry for 'lantern' nor 'semi-lantern' I can only assume that you are speaking in foreign.

I have told you at least 20 gazillion times not to exaggerate or speak foreign!

Translation please. Pretty please. :)

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not use a HUD

I start with the 2 players to my left and the 1 player to my right, as these are the players I'm most likely to get into hands with. I am looking for things like:

How often do they play a hand (loose or tight)
Are the normally raising or re-raising? or are they normally checking, calling or folding? (aggressive or passive).
What is their standard preflop raise size and does it ever change?
How do they react to a 3 bet?
Do they play more hands in position?
How do they play post flop? Do they Cbet? Do they "fit or fold" on the flop?

Once I've got a pretty good idea of how the players nearest me are playing, I pay attention to who are the most active players at the table, since they are the other players I'm most likely to play hands with.

Finally, I start paying attention to the remaining players and usually more interested in those to my left.

Interesting analysis, I observe my opponents a lot too, trying to find changes in their play

T

Tiltt2424

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it is helpful to take notes on betting patterns when players are the aggressor, in/oop, opening ranges and three betting ranges pf etc. Anytime a hand goes to showdown a lot of a player's game is exposed.

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. I meant 'lanterns' & 'semi-lanterns'.

Ok still confused (plus, not Canadian, if this is a country/culture-specific thing).

Even checked here and here.

:(

23jrhxz.jpg

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By making a lot of notes, watching every hand at your table carefully even if you are not in it, and it is important to find who are the weakest and the best foes at your table and try to isolate the best one's! !

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok..............so i'm interested to know....what are 'lanterns' and 'semi-lanterns?' Are these new poker terminologies? am I like missing something?

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok..............so i'm interested to know....what are 'lanterns' and 'semi-lanterns?' Are these new poker terminologies? am I like missing something?

LOL! This is definitely not canadian slang. :D If you trace the conversation you will see that PO was sarcastic (could be canadian vibe :D ) and the first one to say lanterns and semi-lanterns was the guy from argentina. hahaha

A

adam76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no doubt that the very best poker players have actually taken matters even further into the mathematical realm. Some players analyse hands incredibly closely and make numerous in depth mathematical calculations to determine how they will play.

But not everyone needs to approach the game like that, particularly not beginners.

As the many PokerSchoolOnline courses progress, some of the mathematical aspects of the game will become more prominent. But at this stage, it is only really necessary to have a general idea of some of the core concepts.

One of the very easy calculations you should learn even at this stage in your poker career concerns counting your "outs".

J

jancika77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also just take notes and replay hands. You should bet on strength of your hand and not really care about other player behavior.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should bet on strength of your hand and not really care about other player behavior.

uhmmmmm.....no

being aware of how your opponents play is the difference between just hoping to get lucky with good hands, and actually being a skilled poker player.

Last edited:
abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can see only few, like:
1)timing - how quick they make decision
2) the size of the chips they put to pot, when they have good eq. hand, and when they don't

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look out for sandbaggers, blind stealers, overly aggressive bettors, value bettors mainly.

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i let my HUD do the work for me, manually keeping track of all oponents is just to hard

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Maybe lanterns are those players who signal their hand by time taken or bet patterns eg a LAG will make river hero calls more frequently so if his lead up betting pattern models what I've seen previously when he has called the river light, I will value bet the river lighter than normal to elicit calls from small pairs and AK type hands

I

Ivan11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not use a HUD

I start with the 2 players to my left and the 1 player to my right... (loose or tight) / (aggressive or passive)...preflop raise size and does it ever change?
reaction to a 3 bet?
Do they play more hands in position?... the most active players

An extremely helpful answer to me.
I took a note.
Thk u,

I

Ivan11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We will be in hands with players on our left and right evenly enough. Think about it, we are BTN or CO, we are getting in tons of hands vs the blinds (to our left) and also vs MP/CO (to our right). As long as we have position. So we need to analyse everyone.

I don't totally agree. Actually I liked exactly this idea that 1 on ur right is enough as the starting point. Players on ur left are much more important. You need to Guess what they're gonna do. Players on ur right have made their plays and you can analyze them based on Real not imaginary information.
Besides there are tones of information available on the table. If one doesn't prioritise them it's nearly impossible to make good use of the most important data.
I liked her answer because it helped me ctegorize And prioritize data based on the importance.

Z

ZaXXoR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm interested to know how you analyse other players and how it affects your decion when calling, raising or folding.

On what do you focus?

Im talking here about poker without using HUD.

Thanks!

Edit: Online Poker

Get a HUD and look for their VPIP (loose/tight ranges vary depending on structure and gametype), opening ranges, 3bet/4bet ranges, fold to 3bet, call 3bet, limp-fold, fold to f-cbet, x/r , many other good stats to track

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i write notes all the time on weak players if have that feature I also play same tournaments constantly so know my field of players whose going to finals with me etc...

i study their betting habits if really good player so can use at another point ... how they play certain situations etc... most is in my head cause most people do same things read same books so to speak....

but you do want to know the sharks from the sheep that is the biggest step so putting notes on really bad players is important

but know this sometimes a person is tired in a mood or even becomes a better player over time so read your notes as you play the same people

online is more about what I do imho then what they do so much at least to me. I want control if I cant take control my rule is to get out of the way for safety etc.. in bubble situation etc...

Is not as many people playing online in states as elsewhere this helps a lot

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if not using hud you should make manual notes on the players. Could start by categorizing them based on their playing styles. See who's limping or who is playing tight and folding most hands. Once you start their you would have a good sense of the players you are up against and would play according.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case i have a few steps

1- the tournament. (freeroll- or pay, sit and go, etc)

It is a freeroll you should know People are more unpredictable in the early stages of the tournament.
In final stages you should pay atention oponents moves... When he rise, whe he pass, he bluff or not, how he play strong hands. The timming on his bet.

In cash tournament. You can start to analizate opponents at start. Because nobody want lose money.

If you can take notes take it.

Sit and go whit small tables you gonna meet whit the same people a lot. So you can learn about an opponent so easy and fast, but he is gonna do to.

2 - the stack
High stack opponent.
Middle stack
Short stack.

You should analizate this 3 situation of the opponent.

3 - your stack. That is important if you wanna know to much. Because if you have a short stack you are not abble to bluf in a final table so easy.

scorpi224

scorpi224

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to see if they are aggressive in their game style or they just check always , that's the type you should not come close too because they always have the best hand and will fold when they think they don't ... you can take notes also about the players on your table

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just play my normal game and see who is raising or playing tighter. I'm mainly just watching out for the maniacs and cold callers. One of my leaks can be trying to semi-bluff and the other player calls down with bigger pair when I miss my redraws.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm live I just go by age, looks and gender.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm live I just go by age, looks and gender.

is this sarcasm?

you don't analyze the technical aspects of how they play? just judge the book by it's cover and call it good?

by the way, there are players like this and it's how myself and my older friends who are great players make heaps of cash. we get stereotyped by our age and gender and use it against our opponents mercilessly. i wish there were more like this....