Bluffing

A

aaa.

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CL
Chips
So I do bluff some times so I can keep myself unpredictable, but when should I stop betting and fold?

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When your oponnents start calling all your bluffs with top pairs and high cards XD LOL
I would say its better for you to study,classes and with GTO wizard ands this kind of software so you learn better
Go for the gold
God bless

IPlayToWin

IPlayToWin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MD
Chips
Hi.
You can bluff yours opponents, but you should know when, and when it's the right board for bluffing.
I think every player like to bluff, and it's a part of the game.
You should be very carefully to do right movements.

Last edited:
black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
So I do bluff some times so I can keep myself unpredictable, but when should I stop betting and fold?
It all depends on the situation at the table and who your opponents are. If you bluff too often, someone will most likely set a trap for you. Therefore, you should rarely bluff and only when you have a good understanding of who your opponent is :)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Several factors to consider:
- What your rep is at the table
- What your stack size is
- What your opponent's stack size is
- How many people in the pot.
- How wet the board is.
- How the betting went pre/post flop.
- Table position and players to follow.

But generally, my view is thus: If people aren't calling your bluffs, you're not bluffing enough. I like to bluff enough that people always think there is a possibility that I'm bluffing. That way, I can get more chips out of folks thinking they have bluff catchers.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I never Bluff its not nice LOL

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You kshould stop after you get caught with the bluff. good luck

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop when a nit or calling station confidently calls your bet.:unsure::geek:

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Bluffing is an art but there are some basic guidelines to follow. First, NEVER bluff into a calling station. Know your opponent and figure out his (her) range. Once you have done that, think about what your range should look like. You should only bluff at boards where you have the range and nut advantage. For example: UTG +1 raises and I call on the button. The flop comes AJ5 rainbow. Who has the range advantage? UTG+1 of course. He is going to have AA, JJ and a ton of strong aces and jacks in his range whereas I won't have AA, AK, JJ in my range because I would 3-bet them preflop (most likely). I will have some jacks like AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, J9 (and possibly a few other suited jack combos) in my range but both the range and nut advantage belongs to UTG+1. Therefore, even if he checks, I am not betting whether for value or as a bluff on this board. However, same situation and the flop comes 964 with two hearts. Now the range advantage has flipped because UTG+1 may have 99, 66 and 44 in his range but now I have all of those PPs in my range plus, I have lots of other 9 combos and suited 9, 6 and 4 combos thus the nut advantage is closer to even because UTG+1 still has lots of big PPs in his range. So, if he checks, I am liable to bet (whether for value or as a bluff -- but more on that later) on this board. This will likely induce a call. If he does call, it is hard to narrow his range because he could still have PPs or high suited cards. So, you take a turn and if the board continues to run out favorably (meaning no overcards come) then you can continue bluffing -- ESPECIALLY if that 3rd heart comes.

The next part of knowing when to bluff and when to shut down is whether you have a chance to improve to the best hand. Again, take the above example but this time the flop comes 763 rainbow and you have 34ss. UTG+1 checks. This is a great spot to take a stab. You have a pair and a gutshot but UTG+1 can still have all the high pairs and a lot of big cards. the turn is the 8s. UTG+1 checks and you can safely bluff (or semi-bluff) again because your hand has improved to a pair with a flush and straight draw. Then the river bricks with another 7. UTG+1 checks again. This is where you go for it and bluff the river (pot sized.) UTG+1 is not going to know what you have and very few people are going to call off with just an overpair (ok, very few people in the real world...the fish around here bite a lot..lol). However, if the flop is the same and the turn comes K (even of spades) then it is a good time to shut down because that hits UTG+1's range.

You can apply this to any position at the table whether you are the one in EP and get called in MP or LP or by the blinds. If you are first to act, you can always bluff boards where you have range and nut advantage. Say for instance that you raise from UTG with 77 and the HJ calls you. The flop comes A62 rainbow. You make a cbet and that pot is most likely yours. But say in this instance, HJ calls. What does he have? I can tell you what he doesn't have: AA, AK or AQ. Maybe AJ but I would doubt it (unless he is a very loose player). Those hands are ONLY in your range. The turn comes a K, you should blast again, and if he still calls (you can be certain he has an ace) then I would likely blast the river because he is going to have a hard time calling on all 3 streets with an ace that has a weak kicker.

I could talk about this all night but I will digress. If you want to know more, PM me and I will make a few posts about bluffing strategies.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
You should be bluffing with the worst hands that can be in our range at this point in the hand, given the developments on previous streets.Why is this so? We shouldn't turn our average hands into bluffs. With such hands you need to check-call. They are not strong enough for a drawdown bet, but they can win at showdown if we lure our opponent into betting a drawdown with a weaker hand or provoke him into bluffing.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Stop bluffing against more than one opponent.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There is no need to bluff an opponent who calls all your bets. You want one that folds a lot.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the local situation. Knowing when to bluff will make you a top player.