The Benefits of Aggression (Day 2 Course Discussion)

O

okiepokerplayer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
day 2 done

default play - aggressively

consider doing this with hands that have a significant amount of equity. What I mean is, bluffing with a hand that has combo straight and flush draws or even back door draws on the flop. And continuing the bluff as the board improves. often you'll win the hand outright before the river, and sometimes the river will bring your gin card.

O

okiepokerplayer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great points and yes it can be difficult sometimes to call all ins as wide as we should; it’s an easy thing I think for players to incorrectly talk themselves out of— even with relatively strong holdings!

So take it to another level. If you're unsure and you have significant equity in the hand take the aggressive route.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So take it to another level. If you're unsure and you have significant equity in the hand take the aggressive route.

In general yes I agree! Then down the road this will naturally become your default mode without even thinking—and the passive lines you do still opt to take sometimes down the road will be the result of making a significant adjustment for specific reasons. :)

C

CMack3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a side-bar, if you remember the old "1983 War Games" movie, the computer "Whopper" (aka Pluribus in this context) told Matthew Broderick that sometimes the best move is not to play. The reason I added this is because during a poker game in Niagara Falls some years ago, a player slow-rolled a win and was found in a dumpster the next day. Some games are (unintentionally and not) very high stakes so good etiquette is always appreciated!;)

Ok, I am new to this but here goes.
The dumpster play - AGGRESSIVE
On the bright side, it should have been an easy case to solve.
Peace

C

CMack3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 2

Nice lesson. Well explained. Great follow up to Day 1 - Position.
As explained in the course, Great Players have all three in their arsenal - Aggression, Neutral and passive.
Aggressive play is solid play. Learning the correct balance is key.
I look forward to becoming that player that is truly difficult to play against with the help of these lessons.
Peace

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice lesson. Well explained. Great follow up to Day 1 - Position.
As explained in the course, Great Players have all three in their arsenal - Aggression, Neutral and passive.
Aggressive play is solid play. Learning the correct balance is key.
I look forward to becoming that player that is truly difficult to play against with the help of these lessons.
Peace

So glad to hear that you enjoyed today’s lesson. “Aggressive play is solid play” is a great mantra! :)

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 1 - Chapter 2

It is very important to distinguish when a player is passive, neutral or aggressive. Today in the freeroll, I had a very tough time playing against villain to the point where I started making bad decisions; I folded winning hands to aggression and stayed out of hands that I would have won if I got the chance to limp in.

Response to video question:

Pre-flop - aggressive (bet)
Post flop - neutral (check)
Turn - passive (call)
River - aggressive (raise)

So far this is great fun and informative.

Yes,in freerolls, it can be difficult to implement your good hands, because beginners do not know the position and the card go all in with any cards, thereby knocking players off the path. But in serious tournaments it is quite different.
As for the answer to the video question, I completely agree with you here.
Tomorrow is my 3rd lesson and I'm intrigued. Today's lesson was quite good.

T

tony2here

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry if i missed the reply, someone asked about been passive is a mindset they have change for a while then go back to passive... well i have same question i was nittier than a nit, used to play on a forum and a member got me to change and i started winning forum games and cashing other tournies but now have slipped back to nitville, how can you remove the the, "well i am just calling /folding here because my AKs is buried.. 🙂

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sorry if i missed the reply, someone asked about been passive is a mindset they have change for a while then go back to passive... well i have same question i was nittier than a nit, used to play on a forum and a member got me to change and i started winning forum games and cashing other tournies but now have slipped back to nitville, how can you remove the the, "well i am just calling /folding here because my AKs is buried.. 🙂

It takes a very active effort to switch from a passive to aggressive mindset. Try actively reminding yourself each hand you play. Specifically, if you're tempted to take a passive (or even neutral) action, think about taking an aggressive one instead. "What if I bet here? What if I raised?"

You can do it with some concentrated effort!

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rate my history telling!

Soooo, I was Under the Gun with... KK, yeah! So I raise 2x BB, everyone folds except for the Big Blind, who raise me all in. Well, is a little hard to drop a KK like that, so I paid. It turns out that the other player had the aces. There is still hope for me?!

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is hero playing?

Action number 1: agressive
Action number 2: neutral
Action number 3: passive
Action number 4: agressive

Soooo, lets go to day 3.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Soooo, I was Under the Gun with... KK, yeah! So I raise 2x BB, everyone folds except for the Big Blind, who raise me all in. Well, is a little hard to drop a KK like that, so I paid. It turns out that the other player had the aces. There is still hope for me?!
My opinion is that it depends. Depends on his chip stack and your chip stack and if he has more than you and if he does, are you willing to be busted. You need to decide if you want to play on and wait for a better circumstance calling an all in. It's very hard to muck pocket Ks and experience will help you make decisions.

ahil5000

ahil5000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if u play very agressive, players use it vs u (restealt, push all in) ... i think need play for situations and opportynity...

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is almost always just a cooler -- a situation where you get it all-in with the worst hand, but there's no way you could have gotten away from the hand. Or more accurately: You could of course have gotten away, but your play was correct and will pay off in the long run!

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

The benefits of aggressive: aggression pre flop, neutral flop, passive turn, and aggressive river. Excellent concept the neutralVery clarifying the video, thanks for sharing it

GI
Life :ah4: Nature:ac4:

J

jhonnylucius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Com certeza, responda a qualquer pergunta no Dia 2 quando estiver pronto!

Hi Collin, how are you?

Could you talk a little about aggression in tournament finals? What changes in relation to the other stages of the tournament? What should I observe? What is the relationship between bluff and value, if any?

hug

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Collin, how are you?

Could you talk a little about aggression in tournament finals? What changes in relation to the other stages of the tournament? What should I observe? What is the relationship between bluff and value, if any?

hug

Good thanks, how are you?

We talk about aggression at the final table (and other payjump situations) later in the course. As a cliff's notes: Play more aggro as the big stack, more cautious as a mid stack, and about the same if you're the short stack. This idea also applies to bluff/value, i.e. you can bluff more as the big stack but will be doing more value-betting if you're the mid stack.

There are a lot of exceptions to the above, such as being aggressive as a mid-stack to pressure another mid-stack. But overall these rules work pretty well!

J

jhonnylucius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good thanks, how are you?

We talk about aggression at the final table (and other payjump situations) later in the course. As a cliff's notes: Play more aggro as the big stack, more cautious as a mid stack, and about the same if you're the short stack. This idea also applies to bluff/value, i.e. you can bluff more as the big stack but will be doing more value-betting if you're the mid stack.

There are a lot of exceptions to the above, such as being aggressive as a mid-stack to pressure another mid-stack. But overall these rules work pretty well!

Hello, well thank you! Thank you Collin, it’s good that we’re going to go deeper into this topic. I'll take the tips to the table. GL

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Aggression.

Aggression. I use it when I get a good hand. Also when I see someone bluff a lot. Yes, it is good for increasing our chips. I also use it when I don't want them to raise more than what I have budgeted, so I discourage them. Thank you. for their advice.:cool:

mandachuva

mandachuva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 2 of book

On day 2 the free book that cardschat has for us, he talks about aggression, that aggressiveness and the best way to be profitable ... always looking to face players who play with any 2 cards ...

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Many players are hanging around labeling themselves as 'loose aggressive' player, but the way they play is nothing but stupidity. With such a huge number of players there's nowadays, it has emerged a new stile: SA - Stupid Aggressive.
There is a quote for that, but forgot at the moment.
Anyway I like encounter them at the tables...

Last edited:
ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

How about some fun games?
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello, Collin and Katie !!!
I liked the theme.
And I will see and review it even more today ...
I had no doubts, but I think it will complement each other when talking about Ranges ...
And on the 3rd, my biggest doubts must begin ...