Why aren't women more successful in poker?

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example, in psychology, things like: emotional control, body language perception, thought patter perception. These psychological concepts are normally harder for women than men solely due to evolution. Our species is 200,000 years old and until the last 100, women were subordinates to males. This means that naturally, men are going to be more inept in these aspects.

Ohhh, burnnnnn. :viking: Can I buy a different vowel? :)

B

blueduck88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section.

I'm a woman player (if you can't tell by my username)

I am constantly disappointed at how few women play, and then among those of us who do, I'm frequently disappointned in our results.

To me, the characteristics needed to be a successful poker player are:

*patience
*basic math competence
*psychology
*situational awareness
*well timed aggression

Now, I know supposedly men are better at math than women, but that is really only pertinent to upper level theoretical math. Poker math is like 5th or 6th grade math at best. So I think for poker math, any high school graduate who bothers to apply themselves will have the same performance in the "poker math" department.

As far as patience and psychology I think women in general are better at these 2 things. I know I'm stereotyping...this entire thread is a stereotype so ignore this post if you don't like it! :)

Situational awarenes....I don't know if I think either gender has an edge here....

Then that brings me to the last item on my list which is aggression.

Clearly, men have an advantage in the aggression category. Do we really think this is the primary reason that men outperform women in poker?

Am I missing anything else obvious? Am I overstating the performance of male players in relation to female players?

I think a lot of it has to just purely due to women being far outnumbered. When it comes down to it there may be an edge to men in the long run but I can't see it being much. There's a lot of woman who are just as aggressive as the Victor Bloms of the world and as intelligent as any players out there.

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see more women playing lately than before and its good for the game.

A

awmm1983

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have got it all wrong. There are many great female player. Victoria Coren. Annie Puke. Vanessa Selbt. Annette 15. There's 4 i know of and there's loads more. It's all nonsense.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Annie Puke.

Not to derail, but seems like a lot of people bust on Annie Duke. Why is that? Speaks her mind? Guilt by association?

Back on track: HotJenny314 has game!

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 years ago or so, I was rooting for two women to make the final table. Gaelle Baumann and Elizabeth Hille. Those two Eurochicks were aggressive. Annette Obrestad and Vanessa Selbst are two aggressive players as well. Very loose players.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The wimmins are fine wit me. The more, the merrier.

There's really only one thing that differentiates women from men at the poker table. Women (in general) are fine and they smell good. Men (in general) are fat, ugly, stinky and grumpy.

Now think about this. You want to spend 6 hours with a buncha fat grumps, or a harem of fine, sweet smelling wimmins? Easy choice for me.

"Well... when you put it that way."

vanessa-russo-in-hot-bikni.jpg~original

-

C

cyper1122

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i realy don't think women have much tilt in the game including pros but to be fair women are much less in a poker field than men , so i think they have less chances

etojeLucker

etojeLucker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
women in general play a tight game, which means they are easily exploited by others at the table

M

Marsd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also believe that men are naturally more aggressive and willing to take more risks while playing. But of course this is generalization and JMO :) and as others said there's many more men playing poker.

I think this is a valid assumption and basically why women are not "more successful"-

However, I don't agree that women are not successful in poker.

dipstick2

dipstick2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree there r some very succesful ladys in pokertoday.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe poker has a lot to do with math and women in general aren `t much in this. Its also in physics, chemie or informatic. Looks like its in their nature

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most women who look at the game of poker see it as an all guys sport so they won't try as hard. While those who do have a less chance of doing well because most tournements men will out number women nearly 10:1

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the main reason men tend to be better than women at poker is because as a general rule women are more emotional than men and in a game where the less emotion the better women usually have a harder time.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here you have a woman successful missjacki !! :D

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not think it is only aggression, has other factors in which the woman is overcome and in reading gestures. women are more expressive and you can tell when you have good cards or not. but above all there are many more men than women playing poker will be 10-2 or at most 3. there is the greatest difference in the amount. It is my opinion.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well of course there are successful women. I'm not suggesting there are not. I've won first place in big tourneys too, I know it can be done.

I guess my original post was an assumption that even among successful women players, they are less successful than their male counterparts, and to figure out why so I could work on improving it. For myself.

For example with as much time and study as I've put in the game I would expect to have better results by now, even though I am a winning player... Even with my current downswing I am a winning player... But I don't feel like I win as much or as often as some men who are my equals in skills and experience.

I've still never had a 5 figure cash, still have no hardware/jewelry/trophy

That is all... But it sounds like my assumptions may be untrue and I should look to my game for clues and not my gender.

Anyways my BFF is an amazing female player who just took 3rd last night in another big tourney. She cashed 5 of her last 6 tourneys and is up $28,000 for the month of November. So I should just shut up about this topic and ask her what's wrong with my game! (Except she says my game is fine I'm just in a downswing)...

Ho hum....

A

awmm1983

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 years ago or so, I was rooting for two women to make the final table. Gaelle Baumann and Elizabeth Hille. Those two Eurochicks were aggressive. Annette Obrestad and Vanessa Selbst are two aggressive players as well. Very loose players.

2012? I was rooting for Kevin Spacey..... no, Kevin Pollak . Take that Negreanu ! Selbt was so arrogant but i read her blog and she's actually pretty cool. Poker can make you a bit egotistical when you're the table captain. In cash games , i hear Tony G is very nice away from poker . He is a master of levelling , i guess.
Greg Merson was a worthy winner though. Robert Salaburu made me feel sick.
Bit off topic but it was a good event!
Vicky Coren is my fave woman though. Screw messing with her. She'll make you feel 2 inches tall :)

Last edited:
A

awmm1983

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to derail, but seems like a lot of people bust on Annie Duke. Why is that? Speaks her mind? Guilt by association?

Back on track: HotJenny314 has game!

The whole Ultimate bet thing stinks and i know you shouldn't put 2 and 2 together but i would be amazed if she wasn't in on the game. She allegedly had access to hole cards and with Black Friday i find it hard to trust a lot of the Full Tilt/ Ultimate Bet mob. She was also pretty devious on the Apprentice . I know Joan Rivers is hard work but Melissa is a nice woman and Duke really got on her wick.I know it's reality T.V., but Joan Rivers clearly despises her ( compared her to Hitler , bit O.T.T. ) Negreanu is so funny also and gives so much back to the game. He's a silly kid but that makes him more honest to me. She , according to him, is an angle shooter and ogles your holecards . He really , really, really doesn't like her . Poor Cup boy :p

PrayForSpades

PrayForSpades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woman don't have what it takes to be Poker players, that's why there has never been a female player that has won the wsop main event in over 40 years.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As said before woman j
Are just raised to not take risks when I was younger my dad wanted to buy a boat and my mom started rambling on and on about how it could kill him...long story short no boat because woman are always rigjt :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesnt really matter if he had 1 heart or 2 hearts sarah lol, you need to give them the wrong odds to chase...coz if he rolled over 2 hearts after letting him/her see the extra card for free then you've only got yourself to blame when you make the hero call....dont cross your fingers and hope he doesnt have this or that...use math and bet accordingly.

I'm using math, but my opponents obviously don't :p just yesterday had guy chase flush that he hit on the river.... till then he had nothing. My bet was over half of the pot on on flop, turn.... and river brought him flush. Checked, he made rather small bet, so I called and whoa..... he had flush, lol.

Nice hands Sarah, good job. Alfie already mentioned what should be done differently. I'd also bet K9s hand on the flop. And yep, I'd definitely check squads hehe. Perhaps if I get some interesting hands for you, I'll share them, too. :)

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Us people, we're all different you know, some of us are good at poker, some us aren't, some of us are trying to learn. I never understand generalizations based on gender and reject all of them. Less people get misrepresented that way.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
B/c it is much more profitable to find a doctor to marry.