Unethical to show the bluff?

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i don't think that it is unethical to show the bluff. If you are tight player but bluff rather rarely (for example 1 hand in a total of 4 you bluff and 3 hands you have good cards) this can be very clever move to make other players pay more often to your strong cards.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be careful when you show the bluff in an MTT. You may need bluff power to take the blinds and antes and c-bet or maybe double barrel scary board. In a cash game I should my bluffs to balance my range make them think it could be this or that with maybe bluff.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think that it does not matter whether it is ethical or unethical. The main thing here is whether it will be in your favor, or it may harm you.

Digitaljesus1

Digitaljesus1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no reason why that would be unethical. Showing cards after everyone folds can help you to build up an image of yourself as a player if you play with regular people. For example, if you want to show yourself as a aggressive and bluff player, you should show your cards from time to time. There is nothing unethical in it.

The only way I can see it as unethical is, for example, if you show your bluff and then you start laughing at opponent's face or make some provoking comment about the bluff. In these cases, yes, it is unethical, but the main reason for it are manners, not the fact you won by bluffing.

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A bluff remains a bluff if you don't show it. Once you show it, you've given away information that can be used against you...and why help someone out at the table?

And unless you see the cards, whatever someone says about their mucked hand should be treated as a lie.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will cost you money if you bluff to much. Safe bluffs are good!!! I haven't learned to much. But that's how i think of a bluff.....

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Showing the bluff..

Personally, i think it is part and parcel of poker..

If it was unethical then why do pokerstars give you the option to show cards? Equally a player can opt not to..but sometimes there is a argument to be made where you might want to set a trap for someone and showing your cards can work for you or against you.

I think it would be honest to say that when we are on the end of a bluff it can hurt but the bluff is a legitimate move and showing those card's is a decision i respect as the players choice.

Bluffs tend to work more against you than for you in my opinion..

Regards

pirateglenn:)

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Show or no show bluff

Back in the cowboy days, tables would be turned over, glasses would be shattered, bottles would be smashed and shots would ring out. Always kept the cemetery busy. Today, many have learned to keep their hand to themselves. Some pros have written that show both good and bad at times to keep others wondering if you are or not bluffing. Makes sense, but not sure if it's worth getting the table turned over and a bottle over my head. LOL.

:pcguru:

Digitaljesus1

Digitaljesus1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bluff remains a bluff if you don't show it. Once you show it, you've given away information that can be used against you...and why help someone out at the table?

And unless you see the cards, whatever someone says about their mucked hand should be treated as a lie.

It is still a bluff, even if you show your cards - showing or not showing cards simply doesn't change the fact that you bluffed.

Also, it doesn't say that you should show every time you bluffed - you can show it as much as you want which can later help you to build an image of you as a player on the table. It is not necessary helping out someone at the table, it can be used as traping them.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to show my hands because become easier to people read my game.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ussually show my bluff or other hands when I played different than ussual.
So people will read my game a bit wrong.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, its fun to show the bluff cards... lol....

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is still a bluff, even if you show your cards - showing or not showing cards simply doesn't change the fact that you bluffed.

Also, it doesn't say that you should show every time you bluffed - you can show it as much as you want which can later help you to build an image of you as a player on the table. It is not necessary helping out someone at the table, it can be used as traping them.

I guess what I was really saying is, if you don't show your cards ever (when you don't have to), then nobody knows if you're bluffing or not. If you muck when you don't bluff, but you show when you do...you give away tendencies. I think showing bluffs gives away more of your own tendencies than helps you learn (or manipulate) the behavior of other people, that's all.

I prefer to let people pay to learn whether or not I was bluffing. Don't bluff if you're not prepared to have your bluff called, and don't show anyone when you bluff successfully. They will know when you DIDN'T, so why give free information?

TL;DR - in my opinion, showing your bluff, even occasionally, helps others read you more than helps you manipulate others.

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe do that only if you are sure that you can win the leveling war coming after that.If you know that villain is playing on the level where he will start calling lighter because you bluffed him once then do it and start value betting more, but you need to be sure.If you know your opponent is strong and its risky to change your normal game and you might lose the leveling then do as you wish but dont change your game. Also if you feel that this is affecting their mental game in a negative way somehow do it too.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow rolling is something I would never do but that doesn't mean pros don't. I've watched Shaun Deeb do this frequently. It's not a rule so if it improves your profits go for it. When it comes to showing a bluff, I for sure will back you up on this being a part of the game. Many players do this and like you said it will show people that you're getting out of line. Now they have to open their ranges which a lot of players aren't comfortable doing. Every word that's said to you at the table is someone's attempt to lure you into playing their game so they have the advantage. Play your game and what works for you and eff everyone else.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a post about slowrolling, but someone mentioned that this is highly unethical as well as showing the bluff.... Now, I like showing the bluff because it opens up the game and usually people start calling me with lesser hands.... kinda like balancing my range...

But is it unethical to show a bluff?
show or not show this is your right. I think that showing your bluff for psychological impact on your opponent is not ethical.

J

janisromanov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the main thing is to win, nothing else matters

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards to keep opponents guessing, once you let the cat out of the bag its more trouble than its worth.

prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it also for the same reason you do but then they start calling your bluffs to so guess its not the greatest idea

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see anything wrong with showing a bluff or any hand for that matter. I can understand showing if you're trying to project an image. I usually become a little cautious towards somebody who shows because I know they may be shifting to a tight game.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh Yeah !!!

Showing your Bluff is best done only to get more action on a table where everyone is playing way too tight.

I mean for the player that shows the bluff every one wants a piece of your action there after lol but still when you play tight and luckily have the odd bluff every now and then it can be good for business.

But bad for popularity :)

:D

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depending on the opponent I show bluff sometimes