Can players wearing headphones win pro poker tournaments?

J

JT_Sooooted

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use mine in one ear but not both. As well, I can chat and have no problems paying attention. The music keeps me in check really. Otherwise, I would analyze everything. Reading people is probably my best ability. So, the music helps me focus on that rather then simple conversation that isn't needed.

D

David G

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel is trying to use his pull as a face of poker to eliminate both headphones and sunglasses believe it or not. He's even said sunglasses are a kin to cheating.

He's simply doing this as an angle and to give himself an advantage. He clearly plays a certain style and some of that relies on reading people, this is why he talks so much. He's having trouble with some players that are tuning him out, or wearing sunglasses to shade their eyes.

This is pretty low of Daniel, IMO. I've been around just as long, if not longer, than him and sunglasses have too and this is pretty lame to see him taking this angle.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh, When I play Live I enjoy the social aspect of it. I remember once when I was really down and listened to my iPod, just wanted to be in my own head space, but after a little while I realised it was detrimental and turned it off and ended up playing a helluva lot better and taking 2nd.

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think another disadvantage for using headphones live is that
it changes your table image in a negative way.

But of course if you WANT the table to think you're an
internet nerd who isn't really paying attention ....... go for it

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm playing online, I may turn some mozart or erik satie at a very low decible level to control the background noise. Whether it helps me or not is another story but I do think it helps you concentrate.

I agree with some of the posters above and would think headphones during live play inevitably hurts you because your brain is not operating at all cylinders and you have this added distraction away from the tells and body language of the field.
I :canabis: think my only "tell" would be turning the music up louder if I caught my card!

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sure a lot of them either have nothing playing or only turn it up when they're folding, folding, folding. Maybe Daniel should concentrate more on his own game than distracting himself by worrying what tune they're playing on their i-pod.
Anyone who ignores him completely, whether listening to music or not, will give him less to read surely.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel is trying to use his pull as a face of poker to eliminate both headphones and sunglasses believe it or not. He's even said sunglasses are a kin to cheating.

He's simply doing this as an angle and to give himself an advantage. He clearly plays a certain style and some of that relies on reading people, this is why he talks so much. He's having trouble with some players that are tuning him out, or wearing sunglasses to shade their eyes.

This is pretty low of Daniel, IMO. I've been around just as long, if not longer, than him and sunglasses have too and this is pretty lame to see him taking this angle.

Daniel has an agenda?!?!? SHOCK - DISMAY - SARCASM ;)