from online to live poker for 1st time

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, when I replied there was no answer to string bet question yet. Then, two people beat me to the punch.

Lol.

Guess you got your answer.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I found the biggest difference in live vs. online is my nerves. When I sit at a live table, I feel my heat beating and feel as if my face is sunburnt red. This usually goes away after several hands. Sometimes, in a tourney, I will get there about 5 minutes prior to the start, just to calm my nerves.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found the biggest difference in live vs. online is my nerves. When I sit at a live table, I feel my heat beating and feel as if my face is sunburnt red. This usually goes away after several hands. Sometimes, in a tourney, I will get there about 5 minutes prior to the start, just to calm my nerves.

Isn't that the truth. It is very difficult to mask your emotions in spots.

Such as you are bluffing someone, and they are staring at you looking for any sort of info. Your heart feels like it is going to bust out of your chest sometimes.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't that the truth. It is very difficult to mask your emotions in spots.

Such as you are bluffing someone, and they are staring at you looking for any sort of info. Your heart feels like it is going to bust out of your chest sometimes.

I found the thing that works for me is make yourself a little routine something that you can do every time after you make a big value bet or a big bluff... for me I pick a spot on the table to stare at and shuffle my chips.. once you force yourself to do this everytime it will come second nature

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found the thing that works for me is make yourself a little routine something that you can do every time after you make a big value bet or a big bluff... for me I pick a spot on the table to stare at and shuffle my chips.. once you force yourself to do this everytime it will come second nature

Yeah I do the same sort of thing. I started wearing sunglasses at the table (I know, dorky). This really helps me relax. No one knows I am staring them down, etc. It is like I am invisible, yaaay!:D

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I do the same sort of thing. I started wearing sunglasses at the table (I know, dorky). This really helps me relax. No one knows I am staring them down, etc. It is like I am invisible, yaaay!:D

Lol funny i said the same thing in another post about me wearing sunglasses I just feel awkward staring at someone when they can see me doing it haha invisibility FTW :cool:

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol funny i said the same thing in another post about me wearing sunglasses I just feel awkward staring at someone when they can see me doing it haha invisibility FTW :cool:

I think I read that too! Lol. I wasn't thinking of it when I posted, but I bet you it had something to do with the statement.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No problem vinyl -> it's one of the links that was presented to me when I made a similar thread about making my first live poker trip. It was written a long time ago but it's still quite relevant and all-inclusive, especially for newbies.

On the topic of staring at people - I don't feel uncomfortable doing the staring, ever, though sometimes it actually distracts me from my own thought process about the betting action in a hand.

Organize a Home Poker Game