If there's one thing that makes a good player...

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Extreme run good.

If you want to get the long answer of why run good matters, let me know

Oh and bank roll management does nothing in determining if someone is better than the other.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes but as it relates to this topic, it does not make you a good player.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for what I'm playing, fr cash games, the ability to make hard folds is the most important thing, if you can't lay down AA when you just got baluga'd by some 70/4 dude, even when almost the same situation has just happened on 10 of your other tables in the last 20 hands, then you won't be getting very far imo.

Passive fish don't bluff, no matter how strong you are, believe them and make the fold.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think for what I'm playing, fr cash games, the ability to make hard folds is the most important thing, if you can't lay down AA when you just got baluga'd by some 70/4 dude, even when almost the same situation has just happened on 10 of your other tables in the last 20 hands, then you won't be getting very far imo.

Passive fish don't bluff, no matter how strong you are, believe them and make the fold.
Yah ok but... can't this ^ just all be included in my post? > "bein' smart" :)

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keeping your blood sugar in the 140 range.

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
!

Losing.....being able to lose big hands and shake it off without going on tilt.Now that is a big defference than regular players and a pro.
Theres more to being a pro than just playing cards for a living.

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple...

Lose the least possible in marginal spots.

Get the most value possible with ur big hands.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about a player like Shaun Deeb?
He is always unsettled, and unpatience, but still very successful.

Can you tell me any major live tournament he has ever won?
Or side event even?
Despite the many he has entered.

His dad is a good player.
I think he just used a lot of his dad's money to get lucky online a couple of times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to say patience,
but its already been said enough.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Or side event even?

I think he just used a lot of his dad's money to get lucky online a couple of times.

You're joking.... right?
I've either been levelled or you're totally clueless (hoping it's the first... but thinking it's the second).

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard work and it's not even close, imo.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I think I would have to say experience. Once you have experience all the other skills seem to start to fall into place.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Or side event even?

I was going to say patience,
but its already been said enough.
..... knowing who the bad players are

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I suppose Tournament winnings of $4,999,079.99 is 'get lucky a couple of times', lol. Or how about shipping just about every major tourney there is online? ($1K monday, $750K, $1K SuperTuesday, FTOPS#9- HeadsUP, & the list goes on & on). After announcing that he was quitting online Tournament play, a few mos. later he came back with a vengeance & went on a great turn, Sept.5/2010 he won the $750K for $132,787.50, then a week later he won the WCOOP-28:$1,050nlhe for $243,610.00, then less than 2wks later another '1st' in Fulltilt's $1K Monday for $75,000.000. The following month (Oct.'10) four more '1st' place finishes, & two '2nd's .
Obviously just got lucky.
Pretty sure he's doing decently in wsop 2011 right now too. (has over $600K in live tournament cashes... so far)

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience,
Everything comes with experience, including patience.

that might be the biggest one ... i mean there are naturals and there are those who are just not cut out to be good

but with each hand you see/play, you gain some experience and over time ... for most players ... you will make less mistakes and you will take advantage of more opportunities

i like opportunistic with regards to tourney play ... as the blinds go up, you have to be opportunistic to maintain your stack ... i know this plays into focus and aggression and experience ... but if you can combine opportunistic with the discipline to not make mistakes, then you are doing something right

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Or side event even?
re: Shuan Deeb
quote]
Well... he's had 6 cashes so far in WSOP 2011 for ~$120k & is currently sitting on ~214,700chips in 20th place in the $50,000 buyin Player's Championships... oh.. & Daniel Negreanu personally ranks him as one of the players to watch out for. (wonder if Daniel knows much about the pokerzz?)
maybe he just got lucky.. :confused:

Last edited:
C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK as it seems to bother you so much guess I'd better comment.

Everyone knows he has made a lot of money,
and everyone knows he has won a lot of online tournaments.

Hence the question:
'Can you tell me any major LIVE tournament he has ever won? Or side event even?'

Because he was famous for never having won anything live.

Here is the quote from Deeb himself before his short retirement from tournaments:
“yah Im burntout I hate them I'm done with them. I cant win live everyone was always right I cant win online I just ran good everyone was always right. I'm gunna take rest of year off hopefully and go do something else yah poker was good for a while but **** I hate what I've become”

In regards to the context here:
only_bridge said 'He is always unsettled, and unpatience, but still very successful.'

Patient enough to sit through a few hours of online tournaments.
But perhaps not patient enough to sit through days of live tournaments and maybe his unsettled and unpatience is why he hasn't been successful in long live tournaments.

And don't forget to add up all the entry fees before calculating winnings.
You might be able to make those cashes if you could buy-in to so many.

Every football team has their fans, if you want to support this one its up to you,
Personally I still think his father is the better player.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Everyone knows he has made a lot of money,
and everyone knows he has won a lot of online tournaments.

Because he was famous for never having won anything live.

Here is the quote from Deeb himself before his short retirement from tournaments:
“yah Im burntout I hate them I'm done with them. I cant win live everyone was always right I cant win online I just ran good everyone was always right. I'm gunna take rest of year off hopefully and go do something else yah poker was good for a while but **** I hate what I've become”

Obviously said during a time while running bad. I don't think you could find a single nlhe Tournament player who'd ever say that ShaunDeeb isn't an excellent MTT player. How about after his layoff? Any thoughts on those results? (ie. wins the $750K for $132k, & then takes down the $1K Monday while it was a MET (with close to 1500entrants) for $312k), 8x 1st place finishes in decent sized tournaments... not too shabby imo.
In regards to the context here:
only_bridge said 'He is always unsettled, and unpatience, but still very successful.'

Patient enough to sit through a few hours of online tournaments.
But perhaps not patient enough to sit through days of live tournaments and maybe his unsettled and unpatience is why he hasn't been successful in long live tournaments.
6 cashes & now sitting in Top20 of the $50K PlayersChampionship (8-game) at WSOP.... seems to do ok imo.
And don't forget to add up all the entry fees before calculating winnings.
If you were to do your research, you'll see that these are winnings as in 'profit' (not just 'total' winnings) online. Currently Pokerstars $1.2mil, & Fulltilt $1.043 mil
You might be able to make those cashes if you could buy-in to so many.
Doubt it.
Every football team has their fans, if you want to support this one its up to you,
Who's Shaun's father? Do ya mean like ae jones father is 'Indiana'?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think it really bothers me that much. It's just that alot of what you're saying is just plain wrong.
Didn't know his father played poker? (orig. learned the game from his grandmother at the age of 5). Doubt he got any money from his father to play poker (unless the $30 was saved up from allowance?)

Attachments

• ShaunDeeb.gif
    ShaunDeeb.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 51
  • TedsFishFry.gif
    TedsFishFry.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 51
P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know its not the ONE thing but something that I feel seperates the good from the bad is the ability to see your chips as just that, chips and not money. Seeing players above the usual everyday stakes lose tens or hundreds of thousands sure makes a change to watching a 10nl player whine about one bad beat.