How to deal with emotions in Poker?

mariel619

mariel619

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me its going thru IT, the ups and the down.
it takes time to get use to it at first, sometimes those
bad beats beat you up when a lot is on the line,
those ups are nice though.

R

Robert Bonilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Control and hone your emotion to make good decisions. Feel play is and always will be a strong component in poker.

W

WinglessSoldier

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't remove your emotions. you're just going to have play a lot of poker until your use to the variance.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't remove emotion, but I think it's definitely easier depending on the image you show at the table.

At the tables, I'm very social and having a good time. So, I'm always laughing, chatting it up, cracking jokes, etc. I try to give off a light, fun image of someone who is just there to have a good time. I'll crack jokes like 'If I get aces next hand, I'm raising it.' And then I'll raise it with ATC and say 'you all better fold, I got ya!' The same goes for my bad beats, I always laugh it off and say 'nice hand'. So, it's hard to put me on a type of hand when my image is pretty much the same.

I think if you're playing really quietly, not socializing, just really concentrating, it's a lot harder to hide your emotions (if you're not used to it) because you're concentrating so hard on being stone faced, not showing any emotion, that when you do get a big hand, it could possibly be hard to hide the emotion.

Heck, in your case, smile with every hand you get. You don't have to play each hand, but you can smile and say 'next time' as you fold.

johnxaitafe

johnxaitafe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
emotions

controlling your emotions is very important especially in live poker but many times so hard to find...

D

diserg1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best advice at the onset of tilt will simply close the poker client. Poker tomorrow will be the same as today.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never ever ever assume you are entitled to the pot just because you were ahead when all the money went in ,there is always a chance you can lose if your advantage is not 100%.Entitlement tilt is the worst kind if you feel it take a break,cause bad beats are gonna happen the better you prepare your mind for them the less it will effect you emotionally........scorp

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get it all in with the best hand that is the best you can do. If you get outdrawn is just the luck of the draw. Emotions do not enter into it. Unless you invite them to. :deal:

G

guch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its just daily routine youve get pissed off each time but the more you play the less you start to care about losing to 30% or even less. Its like wakin n brushing you teeth you gotta do it and nothing new happens sometime you suck out to so nothing personal its win win if you keep making right decisions

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will chat them: ""wow man! ure sick! i really want to know u in real life lol!!!"" just post positive things will give you the atm to pass the tilt emotions

I

igor vanillasky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great and usefull answers here. thanks guys.

B

Ballan30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i try always to play my game after a bad beat.you cant do anything about it.
stay calm.stand up en leave the table for 5 min

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My poker theory is that you have to devoid yourself of all thought and emotion to the extent that the only thing that matters is that game of poker. This of course is not always easy. It's a bit like allowing yourself into a state of mind as in the Adjustment Buruea or The Matrix so that you only focus your attention on what matters. More to the point perhaps is not to allow yourself to get focussed on the cards. It is irrelevant to some extent what cards you have, it is far more important how you play them. So if you have AA and they lose to J7o, don't think you were unlucky or unjustifiably beaten, consider whether you played the hand correctly and learn from the experience.

faccarn

faccarn

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was a bad beat, really a bad beat, not those many people say it is but it's not, I take a deep breathe if I'm still in the game or I take a break (depending on some factors this break can take hours).

Sometimes when playing micro limits I take some risks I wouldn't if I were playing other limits. in this case I just laugh as I know I was willing to take such risk and it was my fault.

As simple as that

R

R_dj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have 2 deal either you loose Top-middel- pairs or AK AQ.
The fact is that 99% will go all in with pocket AA the either your in starting/middle/final table. I think that you'll fold AA when you're at the final table and your short stacked that you play for position.
Thats how i think

All tips are welcome!

Examples (these are still easy actually):
1. Lose with AA all in against some gambler J7 or something.

2. Go all in AA vs KQ call preflop table K Q 7 6 J.. Lose half of your stack..

After this kind of situations some of us start doing nervous emotional moves and act emotionally..

So any tips how to stay calm and not act emotionally? All tips are welcome here guys.

M

marinaki85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be patient and play tight..in time you will see your earnings

W

wippedquaze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really have a hard time with this too haha, nice tips guys but nothing really helps for this... I believe each person just has to find a way for himself.

Me for example, ill freak out entirely if I don't immediately say out loud "Well, that's poker!" XDD

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im getting the book today Own worst enemy I have a big problem letting emotions get in my game

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey!

To not be emotional, I just remind myself that even 1% have to happen once in 100 times. It is not easy to do that at first, but when you do it over and over again it helps so much. You just gotta be committed to your game and keep it up, and when you loose, just know that mathematically it is impossible to win every time, and very hard to win, period.

You just have to accept that you are not in control, you are just playing to exploit the weaknesses you see in the game knowing that you can't see all the weaknesses. And when it blows up on your face, take it and adjust to a better game.

Help your game tend to perfection knowing that there is none!

Of course, time out and calming down helps assimilating what happened after a cooler or a bad beat.

I hope this is not non-sense for you guys.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like that ,not always who has the best cards Wins the pot good luck in the games.

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just stroll around or just drink beer and sleep. Wake up and face another challenge. It's always an advantage to play if your mind get relax. Remember if there no lose or defeats, it's not a game!

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's easy mate. I read some opinions in cardschat forum, best way to play is to play with pair on your hand like AA or JJ, you have bigger chance to win :)

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your opp always has out it's uncontrollable

Like i said in the long run you'll end up profiting w/AA, accept what can not be change. This is part of your mental game, jounal if you can express your emotions on paper, meditate, attemp to vibrate at a higher freq...

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is difficult to control the emotions at the time of losing, but many times they have helped me to win my emotions .. I think you have to be angry at times ... but the important thing is to leave that anger behind quickly and think about the next plan.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm still weak it but what I have done is to stop a while when I realize that I stop playing poker and I'm very reactive.

I believe that success is locked in this field as well as more calm and centered in the game even when it takes many bad beats I believe that if desempenharmos the game we know we have much more success

:jd4:mateuspoker