How to deal with anger?

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to deal with anger after strong blows and defeats and make no further mistakes?
When you sit for hours in the tournament and lose or lose almost all the chips with pocket aces?
I immediately want to go olein with almost any card.

roterdama

roterdama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to deal with anger after strong blows and defeats and make no further mistakes?
When you sit for hours in the tournament and lose or lose almost all the chips with pocket aces?
Put fold all cards , and go make cofy, and think you do the best . And whith AA always try to go all in pre flop:ac4::ad4:

or use this and think you doo all , its poker 80 % whith AA you bee a winer next timehttps://www.cardschat.com/pkimg/guides/starting-hands-chart.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dealing with Anger

Going on Tilt (angry poker) is a common phenomenon for any poker player. A bad beat can lead to losing your entire stack in a few hands or less. To deal with this I suggest the following:

1) Sit back for a few hands and try to fold as much as possible. Make a game of folding. See if you can fold 25 hands in a row.
2) Close your eyes and take slow deep breaths. Focus on your breath as the air goes in and out. Exhale slowly. All the while focus only on your breathing. After a minute you should be relaxed.
3) Accept your anger. Try to look at it and examine it. Feel it and make some conscious decisions about your anger. Should you desire use that anger to play more aggressive or to play with a mission. Otherwise let it go. Let that anger have no power over you.
4) Often fear is the underlying reason for anger. You have been had and you don't know what to do. So, you throw in the towel and try to lose. That way you have an excuse for losing. "I was bad beat". Even if you have only one chip, you have your chair. Use that chip and a chair to make a calculated move and you could make a big come back. That is when you really feel proud of your play.

I don't know if this will help anyone. To examine why your are on tilt is a good exercise. You may not be able to do it in the moment. Definitely look at it when you are calm again to determine what you can do. After all, you are the best gauge for your own emotions.

Gook luck on the tables!

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play several tables. Play as many tables as you can. When you play a lot of tables, you simply do not have time to experience every hand of cards. With experience, you will get used to not paying attention to the result of each individual hand. Just play it right and everything will be OK.

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going on Tilt (angry poker) is a common phenomenon for any poker player. A bad beat can lead to losing your entire stack in a few hands or less. To deal with this I suggest the following:

1) Sit back for a few hands and try to fold as much as possible. Make a game of folding. See if you can fold 25 hands in a row.
2) Close your eyes and take slow deep breaths. Focus on your breath as the air goes in and out. Exhale slowly. All the while focus only on your breathing. After a minute you should be relaxed.
3) Accept your anger. Try to look at it and examine it. Feel it and make some conscious decisions about your anger. Should you desire use that anger to play more aggressive or to play with a mission. Otherwise let it go. Let that anger have no power over you.
4) Often fear is the underlying reason for anger. You have been had and you don't know what to do. So, you throw in the towel and try to lose. That way you have an excuse for losing. "I was bad beat". Even if you have only one chip, you have your chair. Use that chip and a chair to make a calculated move and you could make a big come back. That is when you really feel proud of your play.

I don't know if this will help anyone. To examine why your are on tilt is a good exercise. You may not be able to do it in the moment. Definitely look at it when you are calm again to determine what you can do. After all, you are the best gauge for your own emotions.

Gook luck on the tables!

Many thanks for such a detailed good answer.
I hope that your advice will help me in the future.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Gook luck on the tables!
this is a very useful answer , i will try to do so me too in case i find myself in this situation . tilt is a very hard thing to overcome ? it can makes you fall from the chips leaders to a loser . anyway just relax in the game and concentrate ? try to read and learn so u can know which hands will makes you lose huge pots so u can avoid them . and good luck in the tables

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With me now also happens this anger, when I give out KK, I tell myself that it's time to fly out of the tournament, but I still hope for a miracle and put everything, but the result is the same I fly out and it pisses me off.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In life in general, I’ve learned some mediation helps a lot

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all, poker is still a game of chance, although it involved more skill than just the plain ol coin flip. with that in mind, when encounter a bad beat just shrug it off & move on

but if moving on is still a difficult thing to do, then maybe poker is just not for you :)

because those ability to keep a cool head, even after such a devastating beat is one of the key elements to become a better player

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Walk away for a min and calm down.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hope this song helps good luck:hahaha:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just understand that it is just part of the game.

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just understand that it is just part of the game.
LOL. Hell of a lot easier said than done!! If that was so easy there would be no such thing called "tilt"

This is something I STILL struggle with even with years and years of experience playing the game. It's a constant battle. I have lost so much money this way. I am trying to learn how to do meditation as that will not only help your mind in poker, it also is beneficial for your life in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We do not have to worry so much about this just a game, joy and anger are waiting for us whenever we enter the game.

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is something I STILL struggle with even with years and years of experience playing the game. It's a constant battle. I have lost so much money this way. I am trying to learn how to do meditation as that will not only help your mind in poker, it also is beneficial for your life in general.
This problem has haunted me for two years already.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
this is hard at the begining I usually take a deep breath and save the hand for analysis to se if I did the correct call and tell myself is poker bad beats will come evry time in a while and every day when you become a pro or even semipro so this is part of the game I know that at a long term I'm winning money I think after a year playing I really don't tend to get anger anymor from bad beats is just variance and part of the game ... PS: but deep breaths always help for anger hehehe Good Luck!

FrankL

FrankL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
dealing with anger

Here's my two cents worth. If I have a bad beat or get sucked out on. The first thing I do is ask myself if I made the right play? If I made the right play and the other person got lucky playing junk. I take a breath and remind myself I played correctly, just got unlucky. But if I feel I made a bad play, I ask myself why. Am I being to aggressive, am I tired and only playing my D game? In that case I walk away from the table for as long as needed. I play cash online, so that makes it easy to take a 30 min break, or as long as needed.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus on the actual decisions you made. If you played the hand well and suffered a bad beat, don't worry about it. Tell yourself you would do the exact same thing again if you were dealt the same cards. Bad beats hurt a LOT. I remember reading about bad beats in Annie Duke's book. Bad beats are actually good. They mean you made the correct +EV decision. You got your money in when you had the edge and luck just went against you THIS TIME. So, naturally a person who is making more correct decisions is going to suffer more bad beats. It happens. Just focus on playing the next hand/game/tournament well.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I am totally convinced that apart from knowing the rules of poker as well as the mathematical aspects of probability calculations ... you should have control over external aspects such as emotions ... and especially anger ... If you you find yourself in an angry state the best you can do is stop playing ... because you will end up losing everything ..!

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a lot of posts about meditation and I am all in for that but in the heat of the moment try mindfulness. Combine several of the posts above

1- Fold next hand or more no matter what
2- Get up and walk away
3- Use the power of 3's. Close your eye's and
a) Hear 3 sounds around you
b) Smell 3 smells near you
c) See 3 things around you (Not the computer screen)
4- Always remember to breathe

If I followed my own advice along with others I would do well but yeah...I struggle with that feeling of wanting to blow my stack after a bad beat

Good gaming all

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Morning ! The online good you can open multiple screens it will often happen is only you close the screen what you missed and open another and forget the defeat ok.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Alas, I still can not control my emotions . :( Of course I'm trying to do it . But so far it turns out badly .:( But I'm not losing hope !:D

B

blueyedwop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bad beat

first of all, poker is still a game of chance, although it involved more skill than just the plain ol coin flip. with that in mind, when encounter a bad beat just shrug it off & move on

but if moving on is still a difficult thing to do, then maybe poker is just not for you :)

because those ability to keep a cool head, even after such a devastating beat is one of the key elements to become a better player

lol
some should tell Phil Helmuth that

:eek:

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is one of the most difficult things to control playing poker. I have read a lot and I have tried to improve but I always fall into the same reactions. I get very angry when I lose almost impossible hands that I do not understand how other players can play with these cards and I get into tournaments for more money to calm the anger and I end up losing everything. I hope to improve that very soon