Have you ever considered giving up poker?

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately I am thinking about it!

Ofcourse, Just like anything in life. There comes a point where you might feel like giving up. That is usually when your on the edge of success.

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giving up on something shows weak mentality etc - therefore i'd never do anything like that :rolleyes:
so have the "strong mind" and jump off a cliff saying you won't die! Let's see what happens!

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No !!! It's my hobby, pastime, adds a little cash to my income. I only play freerolls and Micro Stakes tournaments. Only other things in my life are reading and sports. Of course I'm 73 years old. :)
My thoughts exactly. The only difference is, I paint, that is my passion. I've always been an artist, but have only been painting for 10 years. I sell them, and occasionally give them as gifts. Poker is my second passion! And I'm 43. It's my hobby, and entertainment. Plus it adds a little to my income.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I can totally live without poker , the thing is to control it and not be controlled by the urge of playing :)

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I used to think that I could give up poker but something always brings me back to the game. I take breaks from poker from time to time.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep...unless one is playing professionally or semi-professionally sometimes the twists and turns of life gets in the way :)

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes.

When you acquire skills (engineering & science), you plan on not playing poker again.

Acquire skills so you won't rely on poker for any aspirations to be successful.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Countless times.

Then I take a few deep graphs, look at my long term graph and realize that it is just routine short term variance.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I play for hobby and not for profession, I have a lot of fun playing.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy answer , No :p
as too motivation, if I ever feel beaten down or just want to walk down memory lane, I watch reruns of HSP or similar PAD episodes , the jokes and commentary and just poker in general always get me itching for more ! good poker, and hope we all compete at highest levels and be inspirations to the younger Gen :)

motorcity1957

motorcity1957

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have quit for periods of time for a variety of different reasons. I miss the game when I don't play for long periods.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it´s normal to think about leaving poker after a bad run or a deep bad beat.
Take some time and then you will return with renewed airs.

Good Luck !

D

dagscags

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes at time when keep getting bad beats

I like to have a extended break away from the game and come back fresh

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll just like to add more, I used to play a lot of chess, and had deep thoughts about it, my relation to it and the chess world , the history of chess and contributing to that history etc, long lines indeed, so some people may have similar thoughts about poker, in general I have always wanted to give back to chess , but as I was gearing up for a big thrust in that direction, I met poker and it's been a steep upward curve ever since with no upper limit in sight, chess is hard, and the want to view from perspectives , add ideas, leave a mark to help and inspire others is great, however poker is easier imo, and same goals are possible, but with higher fiscal returns :) .
maybe I'm just waffling, but each will have their own desires and reasons for playing, my main point I guess is like anything, there are many ways to view or understand something, and if at the end of the day you find something more productive, then do that :) . .. until then , shuffle up and deal

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately I am thinking about it!

After black Friday I was forced to give up online poker. I didn't trust any of the poker sites online after that event. Recently though I've started to play again on Americas Cardroom. I'm still suspicious of online poker, so I have not deposited any money. I'm only playing the freerolls and entering giveaways. I'm hoping to build a bankroll without having to deposit money.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
Yes, this happens and it's sad that I am visited by thoughts at times and all this is the fault of dispersion.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes sure when im in the REM phase of my brain

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker playing gives a lot of fun especially when it's going good but sometimes when i have bad luck for long time and poker is not giving me that thing i start to consider to finish my playing.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No never, it is a great pastime in fact I am having people over tomorrow night. Tequila Y Poker night.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, such thoughts came, I remember even quit playing for half a year, but then started again.

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes threw several times but still came back.

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends of the people, but no, dont give up, if u give up its only on internet, i love to play real tournament.. its different! :elefant:

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyday after loosing and loosing and not really seeing any results makes me want to just quit.