The fun is gone

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No advice, I can just relate. I've noticed poker has lost a lot of the "fun" for me the last few months. Most of the forum freerolls I use to play are gone, the sites have tightened up on the promos and increased rake. It's so much harder to win the few dollars I was scraping up before. I've also had less time to work on my game. Definitely not "fun" anymore.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to be very result oriented cause it will do you no good in the long term.And you should stop playing when you are tilting cause its bad for the bankroll and take same break if you are feeling tired.

J

jjsevillados

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fun comes from winning when a poker player runs bad fun stop, what a recomended is to go to back to the basics , to A B C poker , play less hands and be more agresive with premium hands , all you need is to get your coinfidence back , trust me we all been there , stop playing those conectors cards or suited garbage that at the end of the day are still trash , keep playing but play tight until you feel in THE ZONE again once u get there u will come back and be a profiable player again.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup if it gets to the point its not fun kick back and take a look or take a break. some people that play for a living has to treat it like a job putting the hours in can be a hard go too.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I been doing here lately is to spend time on my forums and later in the day I play maybe 2 tournys or 1 and play ring game at the same time. Most of the tournys I play last for about 2 1/2 hours, so I do other things then. And I'm back winning because I don't sit here all day and get stressed out.

X

Xiao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I've seen people post on this thread and then I have nothing to contribute because I just wholeheartedly agree with taking a break if the game no longer is enjoyable and that mentality is a big part of the game as it is a definite plus to go on the table with a fairly clear and untiltable mind.

I post as I am in a micro tourney right now where a few gentlemen (or ladies, but I'm assuming gentlemen) are really killing the mood by constantly complaining about "suckouts", "donks", "lucky mfers", you get the idea. One of them is doing quite well for the most part, the rest have tilted and gone away. Even then, I think the one doing well may be on tilt soon if not already. In my mind I wonder what is the point of playing if your psyche isn't in the most stable position and then you just go on a losing spiral physically (money) and mentally.

Nothing new here but just a quaint observation on the felt that I thought might be worth posting

S

slash407

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes when you start losing the fun goes away fast. take a break and clear your mind

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like most have said, it is break time before it gets to be hammer time. Sucks to go through variance but is refreshing to take a break. Lot things can be done poker wise if you are jonesin. Good time to read, look at instructional videos or just watch some of the many poker entertainment shows. Some of the biggest battles in history have concluded with victory with some well timed breaks.

STL FAN

STL FAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mental part of poker when a person feels they have taken enough of what is happening to them when the negative experiences take their toll. That is one of the toughest opponents to play against, the one opponent that is not setting across from them but is actually themselves.

Balance, taking time away each day is also productive for the brain to stay fresh for example, walking or mowing the lawn if a person is walking instead of riding. This helps the frontal lobe of the brain too relax to help spawn creativity. The mindless exercise of doing something that each of us can do without thinking helps promote creativity; this helps this player think about poker while doing something away from poker that will promote growth within my game.

Reading books instead of playing, this helps with a few things confidence, new information, and fixing mistakes that might not have presented themselves otherwise. While taking a break is when this player started reading other interests related to poker philosophy for example, and this also gives peace of mind; also confidence for balance of poker and life as an example.

Returning to having fun is probably the most important especially because the challenging part of poker is to continue to have fun. This is the reason to challenge my game to get better each day and gather as much information as possible for hopes that the game continues to be fun as long as we all play.

S

seventhcereal

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The worst sessions I had, I reviewed my big pot losses and could only honestly account for 1/2 losses through badbeat/cooler. The other 1/2 was just small/medium losses from playing too loose (tilt?) and having to fold. Are you really running bad or just playing horrible?

knileh

knileh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey PapaC -- I'm Kris.

If the bankroll is running out I would take a serious break and use the time you would spend folding all those bad hands walking outside and enjoying nature. You don't realize how precious green things truly are until you experience the wonders of the Earth! The is joy in many things, some which don't cost while you learn.

If you still have a poker bankroll-fund left and are adamant about playing NOW, then stick to the free-rolls until you get your confidence back. Maybe one per 2 days at the shortest interval. It'll teach you TAG all over again because you won't want to bust out early and have to wait a whole 48 hours to play again!

C

catfisher999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
unless you are playing as a job remember it is recreation and not your livelihood.

RaizeR1205

RaizeR1205

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain sir, I've been on a very long break myself. I came back with a glimmer of hope, but nope, same thing. Bad beats, cold cards, etc. etc.

I guess all you can do is take another break and come back to it when your mind is cleared of all the mess of poker. And get back in the saddle!

I love playing poker myself, but being a single 32 year old male, living by myself, Isn't going to help my game. I think i'm using poker to be social, and of course that can lead to disastrous things..

P.S. sorry for the rant. :eek:

Maiuchi

Maiuchi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those bad streaks are very tedious, it happens to me similarly, which is like it takes away my fun, stresses me and I only wish for the moment when everything balances a bit or I will end up frustrated.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those bad streaks are very tedious, it happens to me similarly, which is like it takes away my fun, stresses me and I only wish for the moment when everything balances a bit or I will end up frustrated.

How could you dig this topic out??? The last post from 2014.... and plenty users, even who started it, are already banned.... probably the fun really gone for them.

You never get the balance, you will have chances to compensate it.

Anyway personally, the poker was only fun back in the time, when I played live with guys I knew, next to some drink and talk about bullsh*t, without money.

Online, generally if it is about money, even about a small, cannot be fun, or the fun is the last, smallest part of it. When I've played for fun, I've played totally differently, as the max prize was some stupid bet, but never money.

L

lesson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all inevitably and periodically face this BUT the streak of failures will still be replaced by good luck. We must understand this and believe in it. And if the sadness is really very strong, a pause of a couple of days will change the mood and a new desire and strength will appear, the cheerful mood will definitely return.will definitely return.

Maiuchi

Maiuchi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How could you dig this topic out??? The last post from 2014.... and plenty users, even who started it, are already banned.... probably the fun really gone for them.

You never get the balance, you will have chances to compensate it.

Anyway personally, the poker was only fun back in the time, when I played live with guys I knew, next to some drink and talk about bullsh*t, without money.

Online, generally if it is about money, even about a small, cannot be fun, or the fun is the last, smallest part of it. When I've played for fun, I've played totally differently, as the max prize was some stupid bet, but never money.

haha just reviewing old posts, I like to read back and see what the community thought years ago.

I share that fun if there is some money is lost. It was of course much better with friends, a drink and without money or without money being the star of the night hehe.

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I miss the free rolls also but at least they have a decent amount on Acr with a passcode or sometimes no passcode so that's nice

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I miss the free rolls also but at least they have a decent amount on Acr with a passcode or sometimes no passcode so that's nice

Yes, even there are less than it was years before, and there is no more on demand freerolls, for me still that's the best site playing freerolls, build a small bankroll for micro stakes.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No joy does not go away, especially for those who manage the money well, so the loss should be, but with good direction comes victory and joy

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

I think it is advisable to rest a little, then have fun, play for pennies and build a good bankroll and start climbing levels. ;)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a break is good to come back then with fresh strength and the pleasure of playing well again.

K

karaafrika

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, no matter how hard it is for me in poker, everything happens and not every day is successful, I practically do not take breaks in the game, as for me, no matter how you postpone the game, you will still return to it!
For one moment I play mostly in the evenings and if I had a bad session yesterday I have half a day to reflect on my mistakes and fight again in the evening!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play a lot of poker every day and with the bad run I been having, playing has become real stressful, and the fun is gone that I once had. Like when I make mistakes or have a real bad beat, I carry all that around with me for days trying to figure out what happened. Could I have played it different and got away from the hand. That I don't like. So for awhile I will be playing for pennies, very low buy in tournys, and of course my forums freerolls, and other freerolls. I just want it to be fun again. Any advice. Should I just stop playing for a time?

My first question would be are you managing your bankroll correctly? Buying in for no more than 1%, if not then I can see why it can become stressful. Depositing $100 and buying in for $5 or $10 games, is a sure way of losing money fast.
I have been playing for over 20 years, Live and On-line and I still find Poker fun and enjoyable, because I know my limits and stick to them, I still play low stakes on-line because I am comfortable with the 1% rule and stick to it religiously.
We all suffer from bad beats and suck outs, because it is the nature of the beast but being able to suffer them without it getting inside your head is the real issue, I have had days when i could not win a single hand, other days I can make the money in every game I play and win a few, The important thing is don't believe in these fairy stories that you will become rich from playing Poker, it is a rare occurrence, go back to basics, refresh your self by studying, and believe in your self! "Become a winning Poker player in 30 Days" here on Cardschat is a great way to refresh your game play, I do it regularly when I am on a losing streak, and it is amazing how much I had forgotten about the course.
Good Luck on the Felt and remember--

When the fun Stops, STOP!
(Study, learn, and refresh)

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, managing your bankroll is the hardest part of the business. I totally agree with @Pokerpoet2, however I have the same issues as most players.