Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thinking about my obvious hands, how much is behind me and in the pot, then who's in and then what variants they might have.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what your position in the hand is. I think that AK is a tough hand to play post-flop. Twice in the past two weeks I've gone bust with AK after making two pair on the board. In each case, I was beaten by a set. I don't know how you get away from that.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The flop comes - what do you see?

This is an open ended question..what are you “thinking” in your head and analyzing when the flop comes:)
What is your first priority?

This is my checklist for what I'm thinking when the flop comes down

It also happens to be the 2nd most popular video on my youtube channel so I think the advise is probably pretty solid : )

Couple of up to date points I picked up in studying
1) Who's range hit this board harder
2) How dynamic is the board (how often will the nuts change from street to street)
3) What is the stack to pot ratio
4) What type of opponent am I up against (aggressive, passive, loose, tight)

From there... It's into the action, to bet or not to bet, and if I bet what bet size is best!

Hope that helps and looking forward to hearing all the CC members thoughts about the flop as well! :ciao:

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IfI have a made hand, I'm thinking is it still likely to be good. If I have a drawing hand, I'm thinking do I now have the draw, and if so, is it to the best hand, or how close to best hand. If I flop a monster, I'm thinking how do now make the most money. After I figure out where I stand, I then try to figure out how the flop may have hit my opponents.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of tells do you think happen when someone sees a set on the flop? I recently been watching this amazon prime vid called the poker brain where they analyze minds of poker players - ok terrible description of video, but I have a million hobbies and can add more detail if asked (once I finish watching)...but I think it would be interesting to know certain tells that can be described or recorded when a set happens..there are certain involuntary things that happen with people’s reactions.. and it’s why I don’t look at my whole cards until my turn to play.

Last edited:
brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the flop comes you have to se if:
The agressor Cbet, if you dont have nothin, run!!
If you are the ageessor look how fast they accept your bet.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing I will think is that flop is a favor for my hand range or not. And the second thing is thinking about making a decision. This is complex and depends on many things, my position, my stack, range, and playing style of opponents.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first priority is to see how good the flop is for me, if I have a show down hand, or a hand of value, depending on what type of hand, I decide if I c-bet, or check, and the size of the c-bet.
If my hand can get worse or better on the following fairways, all that must be taken into account when making a decision on the flop.

gl mate:)

M

marcoslopezbl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop comes - what do you see?

This is an open ended question..what are you “thinking” in your head and analyzing when the flop comes:)
What is your first priority?

I believe this depends a lot whether you're playing a live game or an online game.

If you're playing a live game, you should be looking at your opponents' reactions to the flop. What do I see? Brow movements, jaw tension, blinking frequency and pupil dilation if they're not wearing glasses. If it's a regular game, you look for the tells you've discovered through weeks and weeks of getting to know your opponents.

If it's an online game, to be honest I'm just trying to see if I hit or not, establish an educated scenario of my opponents' possible actions and then move on to the mathematical assessment of my next move.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing I think about is whether I hit it. Next, if I didn't hit, but the hand is good enough, I will put a contbet, if I didn't have any bets and 3bets before, there should also be a plan for dealing on the flop, also the actions on the flop can be completely different if you hit the flop, here you can apply a float, a minbet bluff, just calls if the opponent's went to showdown is high enough and we know that the villain will pay.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy it's an opportunity to put pressure on opponents by c betting or trapping depending on what range you think your opponent is on.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If play at a table I check responses of others at the table. On line I just evaluate my hand in relation to my position.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the flop comes i check if i get my Royal Flush if not i do instafold.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, this reply is going to be spotty..like a rough draft lol. I also study screenwriting and storytelling..but that is not the angle I am going at here. What I am going at is it is at best a spotty connection to this thread, but here goes.

So I have a great memory in general, yes general lol, and I do remember something about players playing in tournaments being able to watch hours after their play, something about reading other players tendencies in a tournament and the broadcast coming just hours later that pertains to the tournament they are in. Anyways, the point of that is, the broadcasts were used to study players for their next session (I cannot remember the tournament) - Told you it was spotty:) But it was used as a tool to analyze their opponents within the tournament for the next session. (the very next day)

My thought is, there is many twitch or live cardroom games we can watch (I watched a few local cardroom broadcasts here) that are not edited for TV. The fat has not been cut out, the fat that shows tells...perhaps a spotty idea, but I think there are ways to see things in these live broadcasts that you would not see in the cut for broadcast versions. This is just an idea..possibly a stupid one but, the camera records all, and if we play live, we have a window to seeing all through these webcasts that are unedited.

Not all tells are universal, but I think that many of them are, I for one would be interested to see if there is a consistency somehow in these broadcasts of people that hit a set on the flop and try and play it cool lol or whatever other hands come up in live play. I have read quite a few books on tells, none that have broken down consistency in particular hands..perhaps because they don't want to indulge that info?, but I say knowledge is power lol if people do certain things during certain particular cards, I would like to know lol

Silly and spotty idea I know.

Last edited: