Do you trust public WiFi to play poker?

D

deestee

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just for poker, I think they are ok, you can adjust the settings on ur PC to make it a little safer. I often use my phone as a hotspot and get bombarded with people trying to get on my network no matter where I am

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont even trust my WiFi to play poker.

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any kind of WiFi is risky, public or not. There's really no such thing as "100% secure." And even with SSL, there are ways to "decrypt" it (sslstrip).. or at least there were. Not sure if it's still possible after the recent SSL exploit. But even so, I'd say there's like a 1 in 500 chance anyone will be monitoring *all* traffic on their network.. and then going through the effort of actually decrypting it. I've never had an issue personally, but then again never has there been any more than $200 in an account at any single time. I recall Negreanu once said his pokerstars account had been compromised and the person ended up losing several grand. No idea if that was a direct result of using WiFi though.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would think scammers are more concerned about your credit card info than poker log in. How would someone take a withdrawal? All the sites I use either have my NT, Skrill info and if i would think any p2p request would have to be in my name. Seems unlikely to me.
A hacker could drop a key logger into your laptop and steal all user names and passwords. Any money they can take they will!!

B

Bazslazs93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you wanna play online poker, Do it in your home. So many risk been in public networks ! :) by the way the poker is a patient game and it require some time,attention,comfort :) bw !

L

luchoq10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was always curious, can people get my info if i use public wifi?
yes, because you are connecting at a wifi that you don't know how is, and someone can create a wifi connection under the nomber for example coofe bar, the same name at the coffee of your street, and the people, how create the wifi connection can see all the trafic that stay in the internet, and he can see your passwords, understand ?

L

Left55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes it's safe... why that wouldn't be?

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a laptop that has antivirus program and poker client and nothing else...I do not play anywhere but at home

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ehhh, keyloggers aren't really WiFi specific, though still something to worry about if you're a known player and have a bit in account(s) to lose. Someone will target you eventually (like with Negreanu's incident- he wasn't reimbursed for his several-thousand-dollar-loss to my knowledge, either). VPNs on the other hand- personally don't trust them at all only because I actually know two people who operate/admin VPN services and actively *do* monitor traffic being passed through, regardless of what the policy says. Granted, they're more concerned about people using them for illicit purposes, but still. It's all logged.

Z

Zero2Hero

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ehhh, keyloggers aren't really WiFi specific, though still something to worry about if you're a known player and have a bit in account(s) to lose. Someone will target you eventually (like with Negreanu's incident- he wasn't reimbursed for his several-thousand-dollar-loss to my knowledge, either). VPNs on the other hand- personally don't trust them at all only because I actually know two people who operate/admin VPN services and actively *do* monitor traffic being passed through, regardless of what the policy says. Granted, they're more concerned about people using them for illicit purposes, but still. It's all logged.

Say what??? That is a major violation of privacy. I hope this isn't true.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't. I even cashed a freeroll for $1.35 and no one stole the money from my account. I take that as proof that no one can steal passwords in a public network.

LMFAO...

If you have a WiFi at home it can be hijacked and they can get into your computer. The same thing can happen with public WiFi.

No one cares about your buck 35.

^+This... :cool:

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it in itself, at least poker stars has its own security no matter where you play or Connect play. professional players have security keychains that truth is not as work but as locks must for any computer.

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say what??? That is a major violation of privacy. I hope this isn't true.

They're still within the rights of their privacy policy, but still. I don't personally trust any VPNs after the conversations we've had. Tor is also sketchy, anyone can do a MITM attack. However, I'd trust that more than any VPN service. "Privacy by design" as opposed to "Privacy by policy." I'd much rather have little bits of info spread out over 100s (or 1000s) of people instead of 1 central point who has it all. But that's just moiii

Z

Zero2Hero

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough. I am sure somewhere in the TOC we all agreed things like that, but still.... WTF!

J

jarzi85

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not trust this, too many dangers.

S

sekinhuh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the "easiest" way i can think of is to change your password on your private wi-fi before leaving home, and changing it back when you are no longer going to need to play in public wi-fi

W

winningpoker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No i wont .... there should be no loss of connection while playing even a single game will change full result.... so all deals are very important in poker....

denisthemenys

denisthemenys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its not so good ideea to play but if u dont have ather conection som times i tink its ok to play :i never play wit public WiFi so gl all:)))

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really but if I had to I'd make sure security software was installed in my device.

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to use public wifi to play poker...or do "anything" that is even remotely private...look into the program below

cyber ghost 5

simple, easy to use, and the premium features are well worth it. It makes viewing things like Hulu outside of the USA possible as well

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back in the day when you was able to play on poker stars and full tilt I played often on public WiFi and never had any problems, but with hearing all of the problems there is today I try to stay away playing on public wifi

ruslanchernish

ruslanchernish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with the password, it is convenient, and nobody steals))

A

AKcirocBoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wifi

I wouldn't hacker can do anything these days

B

bunetae1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level