Chris Ferguson's Bankroll Management

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could some one please explain chris's part of bankroll management about playing at cash tables? I dont understand the following statement:* If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more
than 10 percent of my total bankroll, I must leave the game when the blinds reach me.*

what does he mean by the money on the table? Does he mean the money in the hand? or everyones stacks at the table?

He's talking about the amount of money in YOUR STACK. If you start with 5% (or less) of your BR, he wants you off the table when your table stack equals 10% of what your total BR would be when you leave the table.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, if you double your stack, you must leave?

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok i think we all get that if your stack reaches 10% of your total br then you must leave.What i don't understand is that his goal was 20,000 an before he reached this point he was plaing 25-50 (Before he steped down twice). With means at 5% bi limit he 100k for a full bi,and 50k for a 50bb bi.I'm i wrong here i'm i missing something.

A

adamhubb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks

nice post, will help out alot of people.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The article needs clarifying and the quiz at the academy does just that. It's as soon as your br exceeds 10% or more than double your buy-in.

I'll try to illustrate - Sit with 5% of br. As soon as you reach more than 10% of your br you then proceed to uncheck auto-post blinds. You stay in your seat until you're UTG. If you can't get anything before the BB reaches you then you simply stand up and go once UTG(you've paid for cards up until you're first to act with your SB & BB so you should go ahead and play them). Nobody expects you to fold hands like AA or KK just because you're up by more than 10%(and for some reason I suspect a few folks will smack you if they find out you did).

Just continue with business as usual until it's time to leave with one caveat. Tighten up a whole lot. Don't take chances with marginal hands, even with some play you'll still be leaving with more than 10%, just try to get your chips in really, really good.

I watched Chris do it and win once at low stakes. I watched him sit with the same plan and lose his buy-in just shy of a double up as well.(this was after the challenge, I guess he was just short stacking for the heck of it)

Again, it's when your stack exceeds 10% of your br. It's not that hard to do. Since every session isn't a winning session, ya gotta capitalize on when you're winning. Leaving when you just double up or don't quite double up because you're being conservative actually hurts you(at least in my own personal experience it does).

ihtennis

ihtennis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ty for the article man. im trying to go from 0 to $10000 like he did but have had terrible br management. Ive gotten up to $350 but have blown it by playing high stakes and not moving down just like he said. Luckily, i still have $100 dollars and i can still buy in to tournaments to build my bankroll. Wish me luck!

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still no one has explained to me why he was was playing 25-50 to begin with.Don't he need 100k to sit there with 5% of his roll,even if he bought in for 50bb it would be 50k.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
? 50 x $50 = $2,500 right? I thought 5% of $100k is $5,000. So no, he'd need $50k to sit with 50bb. But I was under the impression that 20bb is the minimum buy-in. According to the interview you can listen to online, he was up to $20k and 5% of $20k would be $1k. He would have been playing for 5% of his br once up to $20k.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So he is short stacking a 25-50 table.ummmmmm to me that it self is laughable but ok.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, thread got resurrected and I missed some of your posts...

For just calculating how much you can take to a table, and I'm not sure how laughable it would be for NLHE, yeah he had enough at $20k. For FL, dunno, sounds weird. I too was under the impression you need more loot to play FL. Hmmm...

Just ask Chris?

W

wildalec

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering the same thing. Did Chris buy in short to the 25/50 game? Anyone?

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im trying to get started by winning something on freeroll but no luck yet.

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

People was just talking about how Ferguson went from nothing online to thousands, I figured if I put that I was trying to find some luck in a freeroll somebody my throw some suggestions at me.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post ! I have a Fergie Challenge myself (start: 21st august) on Full Tilt and now i have a $101.56 bankroll :D after 287 freerolls. Now i have 100 buy ins and i will play the $1.10 45man´s. I could have played sng´s earlier but the rake (fee) in the micros is way too high !

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Tips about Bankroll Management are essentials to a serious poker player. Nice post.

Venom246

Venom246

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice thread, and gl to all playing the challenge! He is a sick man, and a very good player!:) Wish i had the patience to do something like that, and for not to mention the self controll!:p

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not trying to burst anyones bubble and first i have to clear something up..

1. I'm not calling anybody a liar, im just trying to find out information on this.

2. I do believe this system could work.

3. I do believe Chris Ferguson could do this.

BUT.... i recently discovered you could check his results/profits online and somebody please explain to me where the hell it shows Chris using the system?? To me it shows (if you look at his buy ins/profit) that he jumped up Stakes almost immediately after having enough to do so and it even tells you that he actually missed out some levels of buy-ins which surely proves he did not use this system because he would have many buy-ins of all levels. The stats dont add up to me but maybe im looking and interpeting the info wrong.
You can all see them so what doyou think?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Zeb,

Re-read post #1 and notice the date. 3.5 years ago Chris wrote the article after completing the trip. He then did it again. More than likely he has done it many times, just to prove to others that it worked at least for him.

The principles are as sound today as they were 3.5 years ago.

S

scottieb668

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good lesson...

i got crazzy last sunday.... sat down with my bank roll of 20 dollars.... at a 25cent 50cent table..... first hand in had pocket 66s, first person to act makes it 2.50 everyone folds round to me. so it's 2 dollars for me to call... i call flop comes 6 10 king. so i checked it to the raiser, he bets 2 dollars... so i call know the pot's 9.75 the turn card comes and is a 2 and all suites on the board so i check again... he bets 5 dollars.. i call agian the river is another 2.... so i boated..... i check he puts me all in.... witch is my 11.50 i have left..... i pause.... thinking what beats me... i fell he has ace king and think i'm wining big....... but what if a set of 10s or kings... i say lets here comes 40 dollars to me.. i call..... he has kings... and i loose.....

my dreams of doubling up quick cracked... and my 20 dollars that took my 2 days to build gone.......
that's why i really like this article.....

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone can do it following his strategy but making good money fast takes more of a risk. I choose my own br management based on my latest runnings.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone can do it following his strategy but making good money fast takes more of a risk. I choose my own br management based on my latest runnings.

Many of us do, we are human. I am no where near as nitty as good BRM wants, but down deep in my core I am not so loose as to not be able to tighten things up, alot. Pains me to do it, but I do it anyway. So far it has served me reasonable well for 4 or 5 years.

F

franky

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool, cool... i feel a tit now, can i delete my post lol
Thnx dj11
Dude... you either gonna feel the tit or write in the forums.
Start titing or writing, but not both at the same time ffs! :motz:

Peace.:bandit:

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management