Charity, Empathy or Bad Ethics

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not chip dumping, but a bad play IMO. If there was someone else in the hand with you that could go over the top and you fold you're just protecting your stack. But with just you two in the pot and you had him well covered and crushed, plus all the ante money out there, I would have snap called.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with using your time wisely, or scaredely (?), as u say u froze.... and 2 hands later you were safe and ITM... so the issue really was (even subconsciously) 'do I want to take ANY chance so close to ITM??' Sure you had him covered easily... what if u doubled him up? And u got KK next hand and chipped down some more?
The charity thing is a red herring, may have mixed its way into what was a good move as it turns out.
I still remember the one time I softplayed a MTT to let this person I had been chatting with stay in... he was super short stacked... he came back and busted me out :rolleyes::smile:, so I won't be doing that again!:D
^^^THis is a pretty good point. Don't beat yourself up over this.

Turning in your HH = bad idea. You posted here because it was bothering you and you wanted some opinions on it. You got them. You should feel comfortable posting ethical dilemas here on CC, know some will be harsher than others, but most will give you honest opinions and that is what you were looking for.

J

jaggibson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think i have ever been in this situation. The fact that it was a top 27 qualify tourney makes it somewhat understandable. Could not ever imagine doing that when its an regular mtt. In your particular situation you raised to 8k when he had 9k my play wouldn't allow me to fold when doing this. Wrong or right i can't say. Maybe some day i will be in the situation and show charity though a doubt it.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With regards to FT & my risking suspension, I am fully prepared to take whatever punishment is due and as it is blatantly apparent I have breached an FT rule (something in my ignorance I wasn't aware of at the time) I have decided to email FT with a copy of my hand history for the game.

What made you think you had to do that? I hope nobody on here made you think it was really so serious that you should turn yourself in . . . plenty of people have done it and will continue to do it. In fact, every U.S. citizen playing real money poker on oversea sites and not claiming their winnings is doing something against the law's rules, haha. Are we going to turn ourselves in? Hell no.

I had accidentally had two FT accounts. That's their first freaking rule on the page, haha. They found out and told me, they closed my second account and transferred the balance on that account back to my old account and reopened my old account for me. No problem, no hard feelings. FT is not looking for a way to kick people off of their site and take their money . . . they don't want that--they want you playing there. :p

Please tell me you didn't do that.

Although, I'm curious as to what they would say . . . whoever reads that email will be thoroughly confused, haha.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking about this and have to admit I did something similar in a sng a couple years ago. I was at a final table of a 45 person sng, 3 of us left. One guy kept talking smack throughout the entire sng and was being a real jerk to everyone. I chose to not reply as many others were doing so all along.

The jerk was in 2nd, I took a bad beat by him and dropped down to being blinded out in my next sb. The next hand the jerk folds, chip leader had a pleasant attitude so I pushed ai on my bb with 42 os instead of waiting to see if my sb would hold better cards because I decided I would rather have my few chips left go to the player with a pleasant attitude rather than the jerk. It's possible I could've donked out and then later lost to the jerk but with such crappy cards I knew the chip leader in the sb, who had only called and not raised, would be ahead.

I haven't done anything like that since but it's hard to criticize when I did do something that would be considered unethical.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't done anything like that since but it's hard to criticize when I did do something that would be considered unethical.

Was not unethical, they r your chips, you can risk them however u like. Did u come back and bust them both?

BTW Great White North is up here, not down there, lol, and the white stuff is comin!!

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was not unethical, they r your chips, you can risk them however u like. Did u come back and bust them both?

BTW Great White North is up here, not down there, lol, and the white stuff is comin!!
LOL, thanks Makwa! No, I lost the hand but was okay with it. It was either go all in that hand or the next, wanted the good player to have them.

Yes you are right, canada is above me, I am in Northern Michigan, and yes the white stuff is coming. I can tell you are from an area that gets a lot of snow like me, it is considered a bad omen and a cuss word to say the "S" word during this time of year! LOL!