All Players

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many of the players you mention consistently run deep in tough large field tournaments and consistently cash in them. Regardless of whether they've been sponsored or not they are still achieving a very difficult task. Some have gone into the Poker Hall of Fame. Not for their ability to get sponsorship, or raise buyins, but because they simply outclass the majority of their opponents and use pure intelligence to defeat them. The people you have described also built their poker bankrolls and careers during the time when Poker was still very unpublicised. They faced much softer competition than today's pros have to contend with. But i still acknowledge that it wasnt an easy task. Their bb/100s and ROI% were likely much higher before Poker exploded. This is because the market is now flooded with whizz kids and math sickos who weren't there in the same numbers during the 70s-90s... and none of the analysis tools and software existed back then.. so you were either a genius with the math or you weren't. Now everybody is becoming a stats guru and collecting millions of hands on opponents. This wasnt possible before, and so bankroll building is far more difficult as your tendencies are already known before the hand begins. It's not surprising that many players you describe are now having to look to stakers and sponsors. Their win rates can't generate the same amount of buyins as they did in the past.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yeap I agree with your statement , apparently they are not recreational but they know how to play the game in a deeper understanding. If I remember correctly in order to become a Team Pro you must have reached Super Nova tier and above. In simple words you should have been a grinder to apply.

After watching what happening to pokerstars scenery the last years team pro consists of regular good players and many of them promote poker via Twitch Stream.To be honest I was surprised when Kevin Martin announced the sponsorship with PS because I was watching his streams and his game back then was just fine bun nothing special. After the sponsorship the guy make his effort and I believe his game improved a lot.

As you mentioned , and I agree totally with your statement, it is an advertisement.They some guys to wear the red spade on their shirts because there are televised live events ;) They need some guys to play against at the players and bragging to your friends that you outplayed them. Pokerstars and every poker room is a company and this is a way of promoting its product.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone must rely on their own talent, because the deck is the same for anyone and the same cards that make you lose time make you win.