Live Grind: How to Fall Asleep at the Table (Without Getting Caught)

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Matts preflop 4b range AA+ confirmed

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice vid Matt
You ran into some hands but overall I just felt you were giving a lot free cards and paying the penalty.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Matts preflop 4b range AA+ confirmed

In that exact spot I would have flatted AA as well. Matt confirmed doesn't have a 4b range (in some spots).

Nice vid Matt
You ran into some hands but overall I just felt you were giving a lot free cards and paying the penalty.

Thanks! Can you elaborate as well? Aside from KQ and KK hands are you thinking of particular spots where I "gave free cards" incorrectly? Maybe I'm just getting defensive cause I'm still salty about how bad day 1 of the main went, but I don't think so.

I also think the way I played the KQ hand is pretty defensible and it's a little results oriented to say I paid the penalty for how I played the hand. I managed one of the nut worst run outs on that board, so if I'd gotten called on flop it's reasonably likely I'm still losing the hand based on the hands that were probably involved.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video man. Really enjoyed it.

Kd-Qd hand, I guess I bet flop 1/3 pot or a touch less. You are right, it we have board smoked though. I do feel if we bet, we can get a clearer picture of their range if they call? Checking kinda would put "me" in no man's land.

Oops, scrolled too fast. I'm not opposed to betting the KQ hand sometimes, and what I forgot to say in the video is that I'm probably betting there more of the time, maybe 60-70% of the time. And things are very different if I'm heads up - betting into 3 people on this board after I open UTG just looks so strong that was the main reason I even considered checking.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oops, scrolled too fast. I'm not opposed to betting the KQ hand sometimes, and what I forgot to say in the video is that I'm probably betting there more of the time, maybe 60-70% of the time. And things are very different if I'm heads up - betting into 3 people on this board after I open UTG just looks so strong that was the main reason I even considered checking.

Def a valid point. I can get behind that man....

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks! Can you elaborate as well? Aside from KQ and KK hands are you thinking of particular spots where I "gave free cards" incorrectly? Maybe I'm just getting defensive cause I'm still salty about how bad day 1 of the main went, but I don't think so.
I also think the way I played the KQ hand is pretty defensible and it's a little results oriented to say I paid the penalty for how I played the hand. I managed one of the nut worst run outs on that board, so if I'd gotten called on flop it's reasonably likely I'm still losing the hand based on the hands that were probably involved.

Firstly good on you for giving it a shot, its a lot of money, respect for simply being there.

I would have raised the 67s two pair hand on the turn fairly large, our hand is probably good on the turn but vulnerable. He was UTG and is going to have all the big pairs and Qx a fair amount of the time from which you can extract value. If the board pairs we are in big trouble though and you can't rely on AK betting twice unimproved so he likely has something he's going to call with. We might not have folded out an oesd with a raise but its difficult to put that draw into his range. Running into T8 is a stinker but he's value betting into a 4 to a straight board 88 and sets are possible I'd still sigh fold. (hindsight of course, but I usually always fold to 4 to a straight and 4 flush boards and they are value betting)

KK I 4bet, these crazy guys don't fold preflop I'm ramping it up to try and get him to make as big as mistake as posssible. Big hands don't come around enough in live poker for me to slow play them.

T9 I would have double barrelled to shift out all his overcard hands AQ KQ and Ah x Kh x hands that he's floating with, it might also have folded out his QT hand. You have a ton of equity when called, its a clear barrelling spot for me. I'm signed into the Max Value training site where barrelling is being pushed big time as the biggest underused tool in MTTs, especially where you have equity when called.

AK I'm firing the turn for value with our straight, he could have 89 K9 2pair and sets and your getting it in great. You talked about this spot and I think you acknowledge it was a good spot to bet.

A6 as soon as he checks twice I'm betting the turn as standard operating procedure

KQs yeah you can check this but I'd like to thin the field a bit and get value from KJ KT K9 hands. When you check this board and give the free card to 3 players someone is going to improve on the turn, then the ace comes on the end and your stuck. You made a good fold imo. If you bet the flop and say 2 fold you are heads up with a much better chance of realising your equity. Not saying you are going to win the hand but I think you have a better chance. Its such a static flop you're really only getting called by worse Kx and small pair gutshot combos that still need to improve.
Taking it down on the flop with top pair good kicker v 3 players would have been just fine with me.

Last edited:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
76ss: Disagree really strongly that he often has top pair after he checks flop as the PFR, but your point about the board pairing makes sense. But if the board does pair we're never losing an additional bet so I'm not sure that's a huge deal. I also don't think he's really ever calling our raise with underpairs to the top card on board, so if we agree he doesn't really have TP that often here it's pretty difficult to get any value by raising and I think flatting does maximize. We catch a spot where it's unlikely he improves to a hand that beats us, but he does.

KK: Agreed.

T9: The thing is most of the hands we get to fold are worse than ours. If he even folds QT, that's probably the only better hand that we get to fold. I agree folding out his equity sometimes has value, but if he only has 4-8 outs as he would with overcards, I'm not super concerned about that. He's also never folding Jx or better draws anyway so I'm not convinced on a bet here.

AK: Agreed.

A6: If this is the hand I'm thinking of, we're blind vs blind with ace high? The vast majority of his hands will have 6 outs to improve at most. I realize this hand is near the bottom of my showdown value range, but it still has showdown value. Not saying I should never bet it but I don't feel a strong need to protect or turn this hand into a bluff either.

KQdd: I still think a mixed strategy is fine. I'm going to bet more often than I check this spot - this was a time I ended up checking. Tbh I actually feel like leading turn small after checking might be a good option because the flop bettor is going to check back fairly often imo.

I realize KQ is technically "just" top pair good kicker. But at the same time, thats a misleading designation, because villains will never have a better top pair than me in this spot based on preflop action. So I consider it kind of disastrous if I get no value. I agree that with 3 players in the pot with us it's not as huge of a hand as if we are HU where we just completely crush villain's range.

I think I slightly over-interpreted your meaning of giving free cards. Usually when I hear people talk about not giving free cards it's in a context of having a value hand and wanting to get value from a villain's hand that has a lot of equity. And imo a lot of the spots above, I either am not betting for value if I do bet, or villain has very little equity that I need to worry about when giving him a card. I can see merit in betting some of those spots but I don't see them as clear errors in all cases.

Thanks for elaborating!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here, have another vlog with some misplayed hands (though not as many, I think).

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Havent been commenting as much as i should but iv been following along on the vlog and its been great man. Really enjoying the dry/dad humour!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Havent been commenting as much as i should but iv been following along on the vlog and its been great man. Really enjoying the dry/dad humour!

No worries man, good to see you're still around though. :) How yah been?

Couple errors in the last vlog as I sort of sped through making it - can never be too careful apparently!

I'm in the Boston area for about a week, visiting parents, but then I'll be back to MD and on the work grind for the next couple months. Hopefully get a few sessions or a tourney in here or there.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good bro, been holidaying with the family and just sort of fell out of the habit of replying to stuff

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty subdued in this vid due to needing to record at like 2am while visiting parents in MA, but there you go.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tried something a little different this time around. Lemme know what you guys think:

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice vids Matt.

I have watched a fair amount of SOC content on YouTube, and Blake seems pretty cool man. He's pretty funny at times with some of his comments.... He's helped me some over the last few years (unbeknownst to him obv).

Keep the vids coming man!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice vids Matt.

I have watched a fair amount of SOC content on YouTube, and Blake seems pretty cool man. He's pretty funny at times with some of his comments.... He's helped me some over the last few years (unbeknownst to him obv).

Keep the vids coming man!

Thanks man! Yeah Blake is pretty great, and I'm enjoying my work with SOC a lot so far.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
New vid out, similar hand history style to the last one. Also, I'm gonna be in AC this weekend, hopefully meeting (and vlogging with?) Matt Berkey.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mate

Don't do this to yourself, I will buy you a razor. No man should look like that

Organize a Home Poker Game