Folding pocket AA pre flop.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!!!

he's just talking about the possibility of 2-3 people being knocked out in that hand if you fold and you being guaranteed a bump in the payscale instead of getting knocked out with AA. there might be an argument for the fold equity if your prize money increase and % that they will be knocked out is worth more than your aces being called by like 3-4 people with pushers ahead of you. it's simply a situational argument.

like say you are up against 3 of the worst possible hands for AA (910s/45s/22 for instance) if the probability of 1-2 people being knocked out by a big stack, and you being bumped up in the payscale, is greater than your % to win.. wouldnt it be correct to fold?

That is all I`ve been trying to say all along, but you put it better!!!

To finish all off and me being the person who started the threat, there would have been no way I would have folded AA, but now at least, if the position is right, I might do.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA makes sense is certain extremely rare situations pre-flop, as you say only when there could be a huge change in your prize money in the immediate future as a result of other players getting knocked out, and even then, it depends on your utility preferences for the money.

But I think some of the players objecting to this are essentially saying, and I can't blame them, "don't waste your time thinking about such situations, they are so rare that it's basically irrelevant", and they are mostly right too.

Generally, all other things equal, with AA pre-flop your objective is simply to maximize the number of chips that go into the pot, and that includes your chips.

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Attachments

• beat dead horse.JPG
    beat dead horse.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 53
S

scifell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only scenerio I am aware of where it is right to fold pocket aces preflop involves a tournament where all the "in the money" finishers get the same thing. For instance, you are in a tournament with 5 players left. The top 4 all get tickets to the WSOP main event, 5th place gets nothing. You and one other player have 50,000 chips, 3 other players have 10,000 chips. The other big stack is under the gun and goes all in, all three short stacks fold to you in the BB with pocket aces. The correct play here is to fold. You get nothing extra for accumulating chips, 4th pays the same as first and if you call and lose you are out in 5th with nothing when there are 3 short stacks under increasing pressure and at least one will go out before you even if you don't play another hand. Now if one of the short stacks went all in and you were last to act the call would be easy.

I dont agree with this at all. You WOULD have something to gain by calling and accumulating chips. You would gain the advantage of having a larger chip stack than all the other short stacks and could no longer be knocked out by them in future hands. Winning this hand would all but promise you your spot in the top 4, and give you the chance to knock one of them out yourself (especially given that the big stack might cooperate with you in helping to knock someone else out here). Saying that "there are 3 short stacks under increasing pressure" and that at least one will go out before you is just speculation on your part. They could be thinking the same thing and you would have hurt yourself by not playing. someone else could double up here with a strong hand against the big stack and really hurt your chances. I really think that folding AA here would be detrimental far more than it would be helpful.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really think that folding AA here would be detrimental far more than it would be helpful.

I strongly disagree with you. Why put everything on the line with a 20% chance of losing it all when you don't have to? You've got five times the stack of three different players. One of the three is bound to bust out trying to catch up. In this scenario you have nearly 40% of all the chips on the table. At this point your chances of making the final 4 (for a ticket to the wsop Main Event, I'll remind you) with 5 players left and 3 shortstacks has got to be far greater than 80% (assuming you know what you're doing), so why decrease your chances and let your entire tournament rest on pre-flop aces?

S

scifell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly disagree with you. Why put everything on the line with a 20% chance of losing it all when you don't have to? You've got five times the stack of three different players. One of the three is bound to bust out trying to catch up. In this scenario you have nearly 40% of all the chips on the table. At this point your chances of making the final 4 (for a ticket to the WSOP Main Event, I'll remind you) with 5 players left and 3 shortstacks has got to be far greater than 80% (assuming you know what you're doing), so why decrease your chances and let your entire tournament rest on pre-flop aces?

Im sorry. You know what? I misunderstood the situation and thought it was one player with 50k, and you and three others with 10k.

Folding in Poker