watawakkjo

watawakkjo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Hello, I hope you have a nice day :)
I am considering to get a poker coach next month. I have no idea how does that work. Do you have any suggestions about coaches or any "poker schools"? What should I expect from that? Does poker coaches help? Is it even worth it?

The reason I opted for this is I feel "stuck" on same place in poker. I would like to get better but I have no idea how. I play on GGPoker and mostly low stake games, between 0.25-10$ buy-in, I mostly end up playing terrible. I played some 15-25$ buy-in tournament and almost every time went on deeper run than in smaller tournaments.
There is a lot information out there for free but it seems messy to me.

Thank you for your answers!

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I've never had a coach but I think they are quite expensive, especially when playing mostly micros as a hobby.

As you say, there's a lot of free material out there and I would look for some of it which is well structured.

In this regard, I can recommend the cardschat course:

Personally it helped me a lot when I started and basically only knew the rules but not that much strategy.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am considering to get a poker coach next month. I have no idea how does that work. Do you have any suggestions about coaches or any "poker schools"? What should I expect from that? Does poker coaches help? Is it even worth it?

The reason I opted for this is I feel "stuck" on same place in poker. I would like to get better but I have no idea how. I play on GGPoker and mostly low stake games, between 0.25-10$ buy-in, I mostly end up playing terrible. I played some 15-25$ buy-in tournament and almost every time went on deeper run than in smaller tournaments.

Poker is an art. Not everyone can paint right? Many learn to paint and some don't need to learn because they have the talent. It is the same in poker. You need to feel the game, feel the rhythm, and not play according to patterns. I've never had a poker coach, I've never read any poker books and I don't think I need to, because I can assess my game objectively, analyze my mistakes and correct them. The only thing that really matters is the stats on every player and the ability to play with different stack depths. :unsure:

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Maybe coach it's not a one way to solve issue, but you can just take a seat plane some numbers of tournaments you will play, and after analyze overal result.

After go to tier 2 applying knowledge from tier 1, after repeat process 3rd time.

If nothing changes on whole process, you will know you weak spot and can tell it your future coach :)

watawakkjo

watawakkjo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Thank you all for your answers. I will take yours answers and put them to work. I think all of them was useful.

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
There are also paid online courses you can try, Jonathan Little's tournament poker courses. I think individual reading and watching video based courses should be the first step to improve your game, before getting a poker coach.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you tried watching some training videos, Blackrain has some really good free videos on Youtube.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Most coaches that I know overall in life are narcissistic, egotistical, care about their own point of view only and tend to be presenting themselves onto you like you are an audience.

You get a coach and it will ruin your life!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
A coach is an additional expense item, but the result can quickly become noticeable: inspiration and motivation to play and develop will appear, and with these wings it is much easier for a player to achieve a significant result, which will become a reason for him to develop further in this profession. It also happens the other way around: after training with a coach, a player realizes that poker is not his habitat.I am sure that everyone can win at poker. Some lack the technical basis for a positive result, while others need to overcome psychological barriers. Working on psychology, in my opinion, is one of the underrated stages, since you will eliminate most problems at the stage of their inception.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could watch online streams. There is a lot of information on theory and examples online. This is free information. You can also get better with experience. Play MTTs to get a feel of the rhythm of tournament gameplay. The only real way of learning is through playing. You also have to appreciate that winning will happen very very rarely. You may not be playing particularly badly but are not getting breaks etc.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As mentioned above, here at CC there is a lot of material to study, but a coach will help you improve a lot. If you have a friend who is a very good player, you can ask him for advice, send him your hands to review, or you can watch a streamer on Twitch, you can learn a lot by watching how he plays.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I know some professional players that use Coaches to better their gameplay, but as I am still a Hobby player, I don't feel I need one personally. It really boils down to what you hope to achieve from Poker, I just want a few hours relaxation and a little entertainment from the game, but I can get that from watching a few Twitch channels or YouTube Videos.

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

A coach can analyze your game, identify weaknesses, and suggest strategy adjustments to maximize your chances of winning. of course bankroll management and more. if you want, I can help you with a free session to see what it's about

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

If you value your time, then a trainer is probably a good option. If you are willing to pay to gain knowledge and experience faster, then this is your choice. But I think, in any case, everything largely depends on you and your willingness to learn and work on yourself. Of course, the trainer must also be qualified, for this you can search for information about this trainer in social networks, look for reviews of other users, and so on.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a waste of money and time, just like studying, poker is luck.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
At the point you are at right now I would not suggest getting a poker coach or even necessarily join a training site but I also don't know much about you. What do you want to get out of poker do you want to just break even or win some change supplement your income or do you want to become a professional. Then comes the question where are you at now? Are you a true beginner who needs to learn a lot? Are you a player who knows a lot but just isn't a refined player? Are you an intermediate player or even advanced knowledge player? Without this added information it's really hard to say what you should do

this said here is my advice. Check out the cards chat training course 30 day course it is an excellent course that will help you go a long ways towards becoming a break even and winning player. You can also check out some of the books that are online or in bookstores look for ones that are not too old I would suggest anything by Jonathan little is a great book. Now if you really are looking to become a much more knowledgeable and technically superior player joining a poker training site you wanna find something that fits you. If you want my recommendation, please PM me and I'll tell you who I would recommend but to be honest some of these sites are not for true beginners and would be a waste of time to put the money in until you get to a certain point.