Turbo SNG - medium pairs

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the turbo SNGs I play it seems like nobody can ever let a pocket pair go. There can be an all in a call and the button will call with 55 and put himself all in. I know that this is obviously a long term tragedy.

But my question is this. When everyone has around 30BB still and someone shoves over your 3x from late position, at what point does it become profitable to call the shove. If you assume that people are going to be pretty loose but you don't want to subject yourself to flipping too much?

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends , if icm is not factor then you can easily call a loose resteal with 77-TT , if you are close to the bubble then you will need to consider icm too , you need to be more specific what that loose ranges contains , it will be close i guess , i believe TT is still a call but less than that is probably borderline.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends , if icm is not factor then you can easily call a loose resteal with 77-TT , if you are close to the bubble then you will need to consider icm too , you need to be more specific what that loose ranges contains , it will be close i guess , i believe TT is still a call but less than that is probably borderline.

I think TT is an easy call but 8's I'm mad about folding but 7's and less it's an easy fold unless I have a good read on the guy.

I see what you're saying about the icm factor but even earlier on with lower blinds there has got to be better spots to get all of your chips in..

TomKat1958

TomKat1958

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo SnG Tourneys Are a Gamble

Low stakes SnG tourneys always have more luck dependency. Most pockets are held regardless of the bet. Most turbo SnG's start with low chip stacks, especially the hyper ones. You have to have more "luck" after the deal at these to win. It's harder to be consistent or to even track your success at SnG's because of the donking and calling without great cards pre-flop. Try higher stakes, like the $10 and up buy ins for a more professional experience.:)

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is quite relative, I believe that the call will be good only against very aggressive opponents , because 30bbs is very deep to go all in with middle pair already in pre -flop .

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low stakes SnG tourneys always have more luck dependency. Most pockets are held regardless of the bet. Most turbo SnG's start with low chip stacks, especially the hyper ones. You have to have more "luck" after the deal at these to win. It's harder to be consistent or to even track your success at SnG's because of the donking and calling without great cards pre-flop. Try higher stakes, like the $10 and up buy ins for a more professional experience.

I've been beating the $30 stakes for awhile and I have to tell you they aren't much better.. The players are so gambly it gets a bit frustrating when the cards don't fall in your favor. If you get KK the first hand of a tournament it isn't uncommon for a medium ace to reraise you and you can literally just push all in and get a call, it's ridiculous. Obviously folding a pair is out of the question then.

[quotethis is quite relative, I believe that the call will be good only against very aggressive opponents , because 30bbs is very deep to go all in with middle pair already in pre -flop .][/quote]

Agreed. Stack size matters too. To me anyways, some people would rather risk their tournament life on a pair of 5's

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i noticed this too on bovada when i play the dollar sng. Everyone reshoves with low pocket pairs against my 3xbb raise with jj+ a lot of the time. It gets aggravating sometimes when thy hit their set,but most of the time im collecting chips. The players are definitely big gamblers when they see the pocket pair in their hand frustrating.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i noticed this too on bovada when i play the dollar sng. Everyone reshoves with low pocket pairs against my 3xbb raise with jj+ a lot of the time. It gets aggravating sometimes when thy hit their set,but most of the time im collecting chips. The players are definitely big gamblers when they see the pocket pair in their hand frustrating.

I like the shove over a loose late position raise (depending on stack size) but when you know people are almost never folding then it becomes a high variance and marginal spot IMO.

I just don't understand why people are calling it all off with 22-55 against tight players or trapping with QJ then calling it off if you shove over them. I suppose we should just appreciate the bad players rather than ponder them. Or start playing different games, the 9 man turbos are so swingy.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is really a player dependent question, if you had a hud with lots of hands on the villan you could look at their 3b numbers, and if it is 2% then you know its most likely AA or KK but if its 20% -then you know your QQ is an instant shove

if you dont have a hud, or lots of stats on the villan then you can look at it on an icm basis..and with 30bbs you can probably get it in with QQ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slightly off topic but I'll never understand why a player will limp with a small-med pocket pair, then when someone shoves it becomes worth an all in also. Anyone that does that , can you please explain your thought process.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is really a player dependent question, if you had a hud with lots of hands on the villan you could look at their 3b numbers, and if it is 2% then you know its most likely AA or KK but if its 20% -then you know your QQ is an instant shove

if you dont have a hud, or lots of stats on the villan then you can look at it on an icm basis..and with 30bbs you can probably get it in with QQ

I play at bovada so I have no idea who I'm playing. Yeah QQ can be shoved with the utmost confidence against a loose raising range.

Slightly off topic but I'll never understand why a player will limp with a small-med pocket pair, then when someone shoves it becomes worth an all in also. Anyone that does that , can you please explain your thought process.

This is what I don't get.. People are constantly trapping with low pp's and broadway cards. The only benefit of limping speculative hands is that you can get away from them easily with a minimal loss if the action after you isn't too your liking preflop. It must be an ego thing..

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only call if I see him near maniac or a very LA player.