I think I overplayed and got lucky.

Lotok

Lotok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing live in a pub tournament yesterday, I won and for the most part played well. However, there is one hand which was key to my early stack size which in my opinion was 100% luck. I am wondering how others would've handled the same situation.
  • I have have AcKs
  • I raise preflop to just 3xBB (600)
  • I am called by 2 people, to my left a very loose aggressive and to my right someone I dont know.
  • Flop comes out 10d Qd Kd
  • LAG raises to 1200 (I am worried he has flush, but he would raise like that on a 7 2)
  • I call as does other person. Turn brings a 10
  • LAG goes all in (Im down to about 4BB now which covers him)
  • Other person folds, I call. River is a low card, unhelpful to anyone
  • LAG has Q and a low card which I cant remember
I won the hand, but with a flush on table, a huge raise and an all in. Was it a stupid yet lucky call?

Last edited:
S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well it looks like you didn't care much for that tournament :) Sometimes you have to make moves, agree with that but that wasn't one of those situations especially because it was early stage of the tournament. However, this reminds us all that poker is not all about skill and no matter how skillful you are, you won't make a good profit if you are unlucky :/ Congrats on the win tho ;)

Lotok

Lotok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the play was due to tilt. The LAG in that hand raises all in pretty much every hand. Which for the most part works for him but really irritates me.

I played reasonably tight the rest of the tournament, the chips from that win allowed me to be more aggressive when I had something. It is a really crappy play from me though. Trips, FH, Flush and straight all out there and someone shoving on me, donk move calling with KK1010A.

hzrd123

hzrd123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lag aint able to play nuts like that, nice move

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you are being kind of humble there...

if i understood it right he donk-bets the flop after just called a raise pre-flop right? the other guy folds,... so you pretty much have the read he is just bluffing, if the other guy stayed in the hand i would understand that is such a bad play, although it is crazily bad ICM you just thought you were ahead, and you WERE!

i would say well played :D

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's horrible. If I'm reading it correctly, the pot has roughly 30BB and it costs less than 4 to call. The worst part of your play is not realizing that the villains bet on the flop is essentially an all in due to stack sizes. You really need to have a plan for what you are going to do when you call the flop. Also I think shoving preflop would have been the best play due to your 13bb stack (if I am reading it correctly).

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!good call,you played it well

your opponent played it very weak because he had no folding equity there,you were commited and he could check for pot control

Lotok

Lotok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game started with just 3000 chips. having 4xBB left would be enough to recover with tight play if it all went wrong, at least that was my intial thought process. Otherwise it probably would've made more sense to 3bet him to all-in when he bet 1200. Either way it would goto showdown as he was beyond the point where he would fold. Hes an all or nothing kind of guy who shoves 75% of hands and big bets the rest. I think he folds <1%

Thanks for encouragement, even though i had the read on him that he was bluffing, with the FH, Flush, straight and trips all beating me I was still a loose play, which I like to avoid.

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made a good call there. Because he is LAG player there is big chance that he is bluffing there and you had top Pair, top kicker on the flop so that is a good call. There was a chance he had a flush, straight or set, but I think you made a good decision :)

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With only 4bb left it was a right call.Well played.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok if im reading correctly you started the hand with roughly 13 bb's..not a fan of raising 20% of my stack preflop. imo its an easy shove. as played it appears you checked the flop and let the lag bet. the flop is an even easier shove because there is 10.5 bbs in the pot which is the same as you have behind.

im never raising pre with 13 bbs. its a shove.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if he has a flush draw, you are still ahead on the flop.

I would not consider it as a loose play.

Lotok

Lotok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok if im reading correctly you started the hand with roughly 13 bb's..not a fan of raising 20% of my stack preflop. imo its an easy shove. as played it appears you checked the flop and let the lag bet. the flop is an even easier shove because there is 10.5 bbs in the pot which is the same as you have behind.

im never raising pre with 13 bbs. its a shove.

I called his raise, there was no check. Come to think of it, I may have been on bb as he had raise and was to my left.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
well, you won it, right
luck is the part of the game and if someone aka LAG is pushing , he don't have nothing big, IMHO and i would call it to

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also counted that there was 13bb in the beginning of a hand -> so shove is ok. As played nice, though I would have gone all-in in the flop. LAG can have any 2 cards there so you simply can't fold as you have just about pot left in the flop with top pair top kicker against aggressive player even flop is intimidating.

I'd guess third player wasn't so great, calling 3bb pflop and 6bb in flop and ending up folding in turn with 4bb eff.

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you did fine.
There was pretty much nothing you could do when you were down to 4bb in that situation.
I would've of been worried about the guy to my left who was left to act.
However, the guy who donked bet into your raise would never or most likely not bet his flush into you.
Good play and nice win