M

mild7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: $50 Beginners freeroll..last hand keep bugging me

Hi guys,

I am a newbie in Poker and this forum. I've been playing for a week on bet365. I usually play limit microstakes. But I found this beginners freeroll on Titan, so I took part and ended up with $0.07 which was rank 94. I thought to myself, well either it was beginner's luck or I'm slightly improve..but I need to keep the motivation real...

Anyway, this last hand kept bugging me. I know I made a mistake, but could you guys please analyze and give some comments..

Thank you

Site:
Party Poker
Dealt to BTN:J♥ Q♥
Sklansky group 3
Preflop:
UTG calls [$250.00 USD]
UTG+1 calls [$250.00 USD]
1 players fold.
MP2 calls [$250.00 USD]
1 players fold.
CO calls [$250.00 USD]
Hero raises [$1000.00 USD]
2 players fold.
UTG calls [$750.00 USD]
UTG+1 calls [$750.00 USD]
MP2 calls [$750.00 USD]
CO calls [$750.00 USD]
Total folds this street: 4
Potsize: $5375
Flop:
Q♣ 4♣ 7♥
UTG bets [$250.00 USD]
UTG+1 calls [$250.00 USD]
MP2 calls [$250.00 USD]
CO calls [$250.00 USD]
Hero raises [$3000.00 USD]
UTG calls [$2750.00 USD]
UTG+1 calls [$2750.00 USD]
1 players fold.
CO calls [$2750.00 USD]
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: $17625
Turn:
5♠
UTG checks
UTG+1 bets [$2000.00 USD]
CO calls [$2000.00 USD]
Hero ??

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you got this far, might as well call or even go all in, depending on the villain (you should know what he bets with).

First of all, you should have simply called with QJ s, it's not that good.

The problem is it was a freeroll, people call anything with anything. As you can see, your raise was way too small to deter anyone who had already paid.

And in the late levels your raise was just not enough, either raise at least 2000 or go all in, if you don't want to flat call.

Now you have a good chance of losing, but also a chance to win...you have to judge that according to your opponents. But if you think you're ahead after the turn, go ALL IN - there are flush draws and straight draws implied with that board texture, so take them out or make them pay for trying.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
itd be better and youd get more feedback if you can show the stack sizes and any "reads" you have on your opponants.. are they loose. tight aggressive or passive etc...

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
itd be better and youd get more feedback if you can show the stack sizes and any "reads" you have on your opponants.. are they loose. tight aggressive or passive etc...

wizzim, it was a freeroll, what do you think? :) As far as I remember, in freerolls people can play very nitty for 2 hours than decide to go all in with 107 os, so it's really a moot point...

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well you got this far, might as well call or even go all in, depending on the villain (you should know what he bets with).

First of all, you should have simply called with QJ s, it's not that good.

The problem is it was a freeroll, people call anything with anything. As you can see, your raise was way too small to deter anyone who had already paid.

And in the late levels your raise was just not enough, either raise at least 2000 or go all in, if you don't want to flat call.

Now you have a good chance of losing, but also a chance to win...you have to judge that according to your opponents. But if you think you're ahead after the turn, go ALL IN - there are flush draws and straight draws implied with that board texture, so take them out or make them pay for trying.

I agree with playa about everything he stated above. I honestly hate playing JQ, KJ, 10Q,10J, etc.... Theres to many hands that beat you up to the turn AQ,KQ, 68,36, any other two pair or set etc.... I'm assuming you called because it was a freeroll and lost to a crappy two pair or a str8. Well best of luck :)

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the chain of limpers I limp behind here with QJs. This is a mediocre hand-- before you commit a lot of your chips to the pot with this hand, you need to see a flop, looking to hit some sort of combo draw (not top pair). Some people would even fold QJs here, simply because they know they are not disciplined enough post-flop to get away from TPMK or other marginal spots. If you were going to raise, you need to raise more, because people will not be folding for 3 BB's more in this multi-way pot.

In this multi-way pot, I don't think I'm raising, if we were heads-up I might think of raising then, the amount would depend on your effective stack size. But in this spot, I think I just call too see what develops on the turn. As played, you again will probably make a decision based on how much is left in your stack. If you don't have a lot left behind you, like 10 BB's or something, you kinda have to go with it. If you have more, you should probably fold. This is the problem with these marginal spots-- you find yourself over-committed when your equity really isn't that good.

M

mild7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wizzim, it was a freeroll, what do you think? :) As far as I remember, in freerolls people can play very nitty for 2 hours than decide to go all in with 107 os, so it's really a moot point...

Yes..I assumed they were loose aggressive, probably because it was a freerolls..but the table for this, most of the players were pretty tight..

cjatud2012 said:
If you were going to raise, you need to raise more, because people will not be folding for 3 BB's more in this multi-way pot.

So what size should it be? let's assume it's for normal MTT not freerolls.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what size should it be? let's assume it's for normal MTT not freerolls.

Well, in a freeroll, you probably won't be able to make everyone fold, even if you go all-in. In a more typical tournament, the "standard" is your normal raise plus 1 BB for each limper. Usually, though, you need a much stronger hand to raise on top of limpers than you do when you're first opening the pot. That's why in this spot it'd be better to limp than to raise.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands