when you cant get somebody off a hand

K

k9hearts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so, in online poker i have been working on some things to chat to get people off hands,
like before i push all in bluff, i might say, "well, i guess you got me" in chat box to try to confuse them into folding, but one person actually called and showed like the nuts and chatted back, "yep, i guess i do" after seeing my q high lol.

Anybody have any mind tricks of their own for online poker?

M

msufan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen people try to alter their pace of play (making a decision extra quickly or slowly) to induce something from their opponent; not sure I've really found it effective.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avatar tells. Well, back when they existed at Full Tilt.

Oh, you think my smiling monkey is cute, do you? BAM! The chimps smile instantly vanishes. You initially put me on aces, but now you're pretty sure I have rags. My avatar will mess you up man, mess you up real good. The Juanda stare ain't got nothing on my patented bi-polar monkey routine.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your question is actually player dependent tbh...If your player is a calling station then just forget it, if your player only thinks of his cards forget it, if your player tends to donk bet min into you and the pot is 100 (Min bet is 10), and they Min bet out 10 into this pot OOP and then call your raise OOP just forget it...

P

ph0n3_j4ck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giving any information about your hand in online play is usually not a good thing. It can work against beginners, but generally good players rarely fall for it.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

Oh, you think my smiling monkey is cute, do you? BAM! The chimps smile instantly vanishes. You initially put me on aces, but now you're pretty sure I have rags. My avatar will mess you up man, mess you up real good. The Juanda stare ain't got nothing on my patented bi-polar monkey routine.

See ya'll had the avatars that made money, I was the ATM avatar and I didnt smile my mood change was a dollar coming. SO what I would do is have the dollar fullexposed coming out of the ATM to lull my victims into the ATM trap and then said your forgot the FEES LOL (ok my attempt at humor)

billyjustin

billyjustin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am not sure what you are talking about, I used the monkey for years. Have been doing his routine forever, and then I seen others use it as well. Hence why my name used to be madbananas

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally don't say anything or show cards. You don't really know what effect doing that does to the villains. It may have the opposite effect to what you THINK you will do to them. And you end up messing yourself up.

I don't even have chat on so if anyone's trying to throw me off with doubletalk, good luck.

Z

ZNT746

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally don't say anything or show cards. You don't really know what effect doing that does to the villains. It may have the opposite effect to what you THINK you will do to them. And you end up messing yourself up.

I don't even have chat on so if anyone's trying to throw me off with doubletalk, good luck.

I agree with this guy, unless you know the person personally and know how they are going to react to what you're saying, talking will usually just mess up your game. There is a good chance people will think the exact opposite of what you want them to think, and there's no way to tell. And also someone could have their chat turned off and you'll say something thinking they read it and they didn't so you will have false information on them. I think unless you are playing a social game with your friends, just don't use the chat box. It's only going to give the other players information about you.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah that's tough ... i think, like others have said, you could mess yourself up trying to multi-task pysch... and poker
nevertheless, if you can prod a fish to make a stupid play vs. you rather than somebody else ... i suppose you could put yourself 1st in line for some $$$

when i chat it is to be funny, nice or to subtly reinforce the solid table image that i like to portray, which can allow me to make some moves at critical times, but probably doesnt do much in most cases

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I see someone talking in chat and saying anything other than nh or nc it just screams of a weak player. Also if you talk and you're up against someone like me I've probably already blocked your chat bubble when I first saw you talking.

Same thing with showing cards. Anyone who feels the need to show off their bluff/hand is most likely a weak player. Only time I show is HU if I've took a strange line that I wouldn't take so I can take that line next time and an observant player will just think I'm full of shit/super storng depending on the last time.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I don't care much about chat (apart from CC games) you'd have a hard time convincing me to do anything - several tables and HEM stats keep me focused...chat doesn't.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I dunno... that monkey looks pretty scary to me. ;)

I generally don't say anything or show cards. .

Yeah I'm pretty silent as well. Chatting seems to be something that wears off. So when I see someone chatting it up, I usually put the cross hairs on em.

Stopped showing as well. Turned it off so I don't even have the option.

beardyian schooled me on that one. :p

-

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I may show a total bluff early on then tighten up so I'll get calls from ppl with marginal hands. When someone is 50% of their stack in they are commited and unless you know that they can make a tough lay down don't even try to bluff. bluffing is overrated in low limit games when ppl will call your 7X BB bet with Q7 on a JT7 board and won't let go even when A3 comes on the T and R.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fishes make it impossible to win when running bad because it's bingo poker. Since winning by forcing a fold is out of the question, you must win a showdown, and when lady luck is on one of her foul moods, you get reamed all kinds of ways.

Nothing more frustrating than sitting at a table full of fishes who dunno the fold button and they keep taking you out with crap like Q3 and 86 suited. Finally you get KK and get it all in preflop against one of them. Their 88 is better and you lose a stack.

Not that hard to imagine actually... happens all the time LOL. Just happened to me.

Well try to forget it and move on. At least I ended up break even exactly today despite getting screwed yet again at that final table I played at... after getting rakeback will be up by a bit.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands