What's the deal with blah blah blah donk and fish usernames?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see a lot of usernames that refer to beating up "donks" and "fishes" in one form or another (some in not so polite terms).

That in itself is fine, but the irony is that most of these guys are bad. So, is it a lack of self awareness or is it some kind of attempt at self-effacing humor?

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess it's more lack of self awareness. Seems like people throw around terms like donk and fish because they watched a youtube and helmuth used those terms. obviously don't use the name to help your decisions but since no one will ever say they are a donk or fish and truly mean it. Its usually some ploy (whether it's true or not, they don't think it's true. or else they'd play lower, or not at all)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases, it's probably attempted humor, but not self-effacing. After all, 80% of poker players are average or better. Just ask them.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases, it's probably attempted humor, but not self-effacing. After all, 80% of poker players are average or better. Just ask them.

i honestly think its more than 80%.

E

Eddie Leeway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
delusional ego?

Maybe they believe they have the skils to pay the bills and everyone else is a donk in their mind

just my .02 sb here

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80% are good, but 90% have good reading skills and can tell when you're bluffing.
90% have such good reading skills that they play against hands, not ranges. The other 10% are the ones who are up overall.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go with the humor option, it'll cause you less stress...