SNG Bankroll?

G

GLG-man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone! just a quick question for anybody who knows....

I've been building up my bankroll by mainly 3 tabling $5 SNG's. I had managed to build it up to just over $400 and after losing the plot (so to speak) yesterday I managed to reduce this to about $230.

The thing is I've been finding these SNG's so easy over the past few weeks I figured I was ready to move up to the higher limit SNG's. I was in a bit of a what the hell mood for some reason yesterday and gave a $55 SNG as well as some $22 tables and I've never hit such a poor set of cards in my life in any of the ones I played in.

Good lesson to be honest I probably deserved the bad run of cards for playing outside my bankroll. Anyways, I'm going back to the $5 SNG's to try and get back what I donked away yesterday.

My main question really is what do you guy's consider to be correct bankroll management for SNG's and when do you think is the best time to move up to $10 or $20 SNG's?

Cheers

G-man

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been building up my bankroll by mainly 3 tabling $5 SNG's.
Try moving up gradually. Try the $10 sit n go and see how you do. If you're losing consistently, you're not ready yet so move back down to $5 and build your bankroll back up.

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG bankroll management can be fairly straight forward. And it is always tempting to move up levels. (especially as the 5 vs 10 vs 20 skill level is fairly similar on most sites)

I think the bankroll for SNG people varies, but assuming you've been at it a while and feel comfortable, I would say 30 buy in's is enough that it can support a bad streak (15 losses without money would be extreme).

The confusing part here is what to do when multiple tabling.... some people will say 3 tabling $5 is the same as playing 1 $15 table, so you are at 30 x 15 = $450 is where your bankroll should be to play comfortably.... I think that is incorrect, as long as you keep your cool, you can knock out in 2 of those and still get first in the other. If you start doing badly 3 tabling, move back to one table until you are stable again.

So that being said, $400 = 80 buy ins for a $5 SNG, more than enough
At that point I would move up to $10 SNG and have 40 buy ins, a comfortable padding. $20 sng that 400 is only 20 buy ins, Id wait a bit until you are beating $10 regularly and move up.

The big mistake was jumping to the 55 and risking 1/7th of your roll on taking a "shot". It is very likely you can beat the $55 tables, but by risking so much and chancing playing scared, it is a bad move, but you already know that :). But hey, the adrenaline rush is fun! :)

I think you know what to do... grind your losses back, and once you get on a roll again and are up a good amount, feel free to move up ONE level at a time.. stay at that level until you have at least 30 buy ins for the next level, preferabbly 40-50 since there may be a learning curve.

GL and have fun!

PS I was math lazy, 5 10 20 usually means $6, $11, $22, so 30 buy ins for $11 would be $330, etc.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management