Next level?

Nouchebag

Nouchebag

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi everyone. This is my first thread about a subject so bear with me. I have been playing poker for about 6 years now more just for fun but I want to start making some real money at it. I have been playing seriously for 3 years now And I can't seem to really win the big one. I have been doing ok online but I can never seem to get ahead. Any advice?

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what stakes, what games, what site, etc, how much are you down, give us some info bud.

Nouchebag

Nouchebag

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing nl Holden for .25/.50 on bet online.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without knowing anything about you i'd say drop stakes, move to PS (probably better bonues; haven't checked BO though) and post more HH reviews, read a lot more books and watch videos.
More info needed though TBH.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tighten up and stop hoping to make a hand

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, we really need more info. What is your bankroll? Are you down money, up money, break even? Do you use tracking software like hold'em manager? How many hands per month? Do you multi table? Six max or full ring?

What is your comfort level for stakes? How easily could you redeposit if you went busto?

This is a wonderful forum and you can find many people who will give you a lot of help but you have to give some specifics.

Good luck and welcome to CC. :)

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing nl Holden for .25/.50 on bet online.

At a guess I would say drop stakes to start. If you are struggling to be profitable than playing lower stakes will put you up against more bad players with less loss to your bankroll while you are learning. But again, see above and give us more details.

GL

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to CC but I agree with other post. Need much more information. Good luck

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well with .25/.50 the stakes seem safe enough for most bank rolls

but, you can easily get into relatively big pots ... let's say you make a 4X raise for $2, then opponent comes over for $5, then you go back for $12

then the flop hits and opponent bets $5, you re-raise $15 ... he all ins for $20, you call ... your in that pot for roughly $50 ... maybe you had KK with 4 to a flush, he had AA ... this stuff happens

and that is just one pot ... get into a couple of those during a session and maybe lose another $50 during more normal play

well that's a $150 loss for one, say, 4 hour session of .25/.50 and you don't have to be a donkey to lose that

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Plenty of Bankrolls not rolled to play .25/.50. Not to mention there is some serious talent and Grinders at this level as well.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

but, you can easily get into relatively big pots ... let's say you make a 4X raise for $2, then opponent comes over for $5, then you go back for $12

then the flop hits and opponent bets $5, you re-raise $15 ... he all ins for $20, you call ... your in that pot for roughly $50 ... maybe you had KK with 4 to a flush, he had AA ... this stuff happens

and that is just one pot ... get into a couple of those during a session and maybe lose another $50 during more normal play

well that's a $150 loss for one, say, 4 hour session of .25/.50 and you don't have to be a donkey to lose that
Pretty sure we potentially have $50"+" at risk 'every' single pot we get involved in. (& 'say', villain actually has a 100+bb stack also, as they typically will on 50nl tables, then when 'say' villain comes back over the top & shoves, it's gonna be for say he allins for another $45+.. just 'sayin').
Also 'sayin', I'm pretty certain that OP realizes how the game plays out on 50nl tables if they've been playing on them for some period of time (just 'sayin') so I'd be guessin' they'd have an idea of how big the pots can be on those tables.:confused:

OP, to "win the big one", wouldn't you have to be playing in a Tournament? I mean one would hope to grind out a decent bankroll by playin' on 50nl tables but they're not likely to 'hit a big one'. I'm getting more confused the more I read this thread