Crazy first tourney experiences

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys!
This is my first forum post so I thought I’d talk about my first tourney experience for banter purposes and also to see if anyone had a similarly odd experience.
Back in 2009, I couldn’t even spell poker, let alone play it. Okay, some of that statement was a blatant lie, but you know what I mean. I saw poker on TV for the first time, enjoyed it and decided to do some investigating. After a few video watchings and article readings, I deposited $50 into an account and entered a tourney. I forget the buy in but I know now that I showed a flagrant disregard for sound bankroll management strategy.
I had no idea about stack size in relation to BBs, no idea about stealing blinds and very little idea about position. All I knew was that if I had a pocket pair, AK, AQ or AJ, I was shoving and folding everything else. Nobody called me during the first couple of hours so I picked up blinds from time to time and limped into the money. Satisfied with this, I continued my strategy not realising that everyone else was opening up their range. Several times I got my chips in with a worse hand but got lucky and kept doubling up, while soaking up the subsequent insults with a rare dignity. I finally finished 4th and won over $200 - I was ecstatic. I thought to myself, “If I can do this knowing nothing, just imagine what I could achieve if I actually had a clue what’s going on!” You can probably guess what I’m about to say: over the last 18 months, I’ve studied, contemplated and practiced – I’m a much better poker player now and haven’t got anywhere near finishing 4th in a tourney since that first time!
So I guess my questions are: did anyone else have a freakily good result the first time they ever played poker? Also, can anyone identify with the idea that too much knowledge can sometimes act as a hindrance rather than a help? I know the more you read and play the better but occasionally I long for that time when I literally had no idea what I was doing!
I know I’m new here so it might take a while for people to read my posts and reply but I’m happy to be here and hope what I write can entertain and interest all the poker addicts here! See you at the tables. Or, in my case, table!
pricecube

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes mate it seems like the more I know about poker and the better i try to play and do play, the worse my results have become

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also started playing Hold Em in 2009. My very first experience I came in 2nd at a home game tourney and cashed $110 for my $20 bucks. I thought, "Hell, I can do this!"
First time at Harrah's, 60 man tourney, I was out in 20 minutes. Second time went to final table and bubbled. Hell yeah I can do this!
My next final table appearance was 18 months later (this year) and I cashed in a 6-way chop, Then a final table bubble where my aces were cracked. Then a win in Vegas. Then a 14th. Then another win.
Online has been the same - +46% monthly average ROI over last 5 months. Cashed 10 of my last 26 45-man tourneys.

Studied my ass off in 2010 with not much in the way of results.
The first 10 months averaged MINUS 27% monthly ROI
Handing cashiers at Harrah's fifty dollar bills in hopes of making it past the break.
I mean I joined several sites, got the books, watched the videos, got a coach, etc. Thought of throwing it in a few times but I had committed to give it 3 years. It just started clicking for me in November. Discovered what game fits me best and stuck with it. Still studying my ass off - despite the ridicule I hear ("Don't you know how to play?" - "Don't waste your time with that, just play the cards your dealt.")

WELCOME AND KEEP STUDYING