10 cent tournaments

J

jbeezy24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, so recently i've been playing the micro tournaments on pokerstars and they are the 10 cent buy ins, with 360 people and they have a 1st place pot of $8.50 and so on...up till 36th. I have done about 6 of these tournies, came close in a few of placing to get some of my money back, and in 2 others i didn't even come close, and in 1 of them i placed around 35th or something...and got 20 cents back. I have been getting closer and closer to making money out of the tournaments, but my question is....are these tournaments a successful way of making money through micro stakes on poker stars or should i look to other ways besides this to make money?

Is this a waste of money or no? Opinions ?

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah. you can win in these. when i started playing poker i got on pokerstars, had no idea what i was doing, pokerstars gave me 5$ and i played at least a few hundred of those 10c sngs. i managed to build a little bankroll, not sure how much but i think i made like 20$ and then i moved to 2nl.

back than i had no idea there ware forums like these one. wish i had, would have been so much easier.

btw these are turbo and there are a lot of crazy people playing, you will pretty much have to play fit or fold after the first few levels, so it might seem like it's hard to get in the money, but in order to be successful in these kind of games you will have to play a lot of them, at times you might not even come close to the money 15 games in a row, no matter how good you play, so keep the spirit up and start grinding.

good luck.

REI53

REI53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The sad part is that those tournaments are based on luck on the first stages...
i think you will find better things to do with your money, and better ways to build ur br.

S

stav1981

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say your wasting your time, a tournament with 360 people takes say 2 hours and your getting 8 dollars IF! you win! working 1 hour at a job gives u that money

depends what your bankroll is

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally think these tourneys are a waste of time. I used to play them all the time, but when it comes down to it, you don't get a very good dollar amount per hour no matter what place you come in. Even if you get first, it's only 8.50, which is chump change. It might only be worth doing the tourney if you get first through third. I wouldn't say this is worth doing forever. If you happen to get first or second, get out of there and do different tourneys with better profit margins

pdias666

pdias666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you just want to pass time, you can play those 10c tournments or freerolls, the field is quite the same, very poor with a lot of lunatics. in those kind of values, 20c to 1$ i prefer to play SNG of 6 max or HU, if the objective is to raise your BR. And it takes a lot less time

dannylous

dannylous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that tournaments are good to started to make ur bankroll so gl

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this level....just play for the enjoyment....once you start finishing ITM regularly...then consider whether or not you're playing for profits!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_05 Dec. 22 23.49.jpg
    ScreenHunter_05 Dec. 22 23.49.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 84
Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play these for fun but no more than that. They are worse than freerolls at times and in my opinion not a good basis to learn how to play poker or build a bankroll.

noW

noW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol who plays for 0.10$ ? seriously .. if your not under 11?

Anyways if you win the tournament out of 3K ppl, you win less than 100$ and that means .. you lost time! around 5-6 incredible hour with lots and lots of luck!

In my opinion those tournaments are for .. how shall I say this not to offend as much ppl as I can? ... ummm KIDS!

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say your wasting your time, a tournament with 360 people takes say 2 hours and your getting 8 dollars IF! you win! working 1 hour at a job gives u that money

i would have to agree. plus all the play at these stakes is so loose. there is eally no benefit.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Forget all responses like this one, you are here to learn how to play poker and part of the learning process is BRM(bankroll management).
If playing these dime SnGs is part of following proper BRM, then best of luck to you.

I don't look at how long I have played and base my earnings on that, I look at ROI and any positive ROI is good ROI ;)

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shinedown is right, ROI is where it's at, imo bankroll management and ROI are the main things to focus on, it may sound silly to a lot of players to play these, but it's better than blowing your entire bankroll on one tournament, if your anything like me you can't afford to deposit much throughout the year so study up on bankroll management and keep a close eye on your ROI and you should be just fine.

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played one of these this week, came in 5th place, for $2.20. so this is a good bank roll starter if you can get pass the donks. You know this is also alot of other games, like the 50 cents games and 1 dollar games, I have to give poker stars props on that, they are the only ones that have these micro tournaments and lots of them, unlike stingy ass full tilt poker where it seems you have to have one hell of a bank roll to play in a lot of there guaranteed games. just my 2 cents.

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They're terrible to play if you're trying to learn poker because a lot of people will play incredibly loose and go all in with crap cards because of the small buy in. You'll loose a measly .10 if you get knocked out.

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe it or not, there are some 10 cent games that aren't drug-addled push fests. One game that I really enjoy is the .10 Nightly Forum Game on Fult Tilt. Aside from a couple of asses, there's a regular crowd who plays there. The game is great for beginners, people playing are clearly having fun but they have a respect for the game that you don't find in the free rolls and micro entry tournaments. The NFG disappeared for a while but seems to be back.

The NFG starts every night at 9:59 EST. Look for it in the Private section of the FT cash tournaments. You need a password to get in, which you'll find without much trouble in the Full Tilt forums.

And not to get all soapboxy here, but not everyone who reads here is worried about $/hr return when they play. I will never make the kind of money playing poker as I do in my professional life and don't have any interest in trying to do that. Doesn't mean I'm not serious about playing the game well, but my goals as a recreational player are different than someone who aspires to make a living playing poker.

BD

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play the 10 cent tourneys back when I first started playing online. I actually won the first one I played in. Took just over 2 hours and I was all like "Hell yeah I can play!!! I just beat 359 people!!" :p

I now know better...heh But they're still fun. They don't really cost anything and if you can get a few double ups, you'll be in good shape. Personally I'd treat it as really cheap entertainment while you learn to get better and learn bank roll management.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play these as well. Never had any success.
Think my ROI was like -50% in these.
But they are good entertainment, and u got to start somewhere.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They're terrible to play if you're trying to learn poker because a lot of people will play incredibly loose and go all in with crap cards because of the small buy in. You'll loose a measly .10 if you get knocked out.
They may not teach you much but patience and discipline and the ability to accept bad plays.
IMO, no matter the buy-in amount you should play it to win it by playing solid poker

Last edited:
cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They may not teach you much but patience and discipline and the ability to accept bad plays.
IMO, no matter the buy-in amount you should play it to win it by playing solid poker

Exactly. Play to win, play to enjoy the game. How much do people make playing pickup basketball or flag football? It is still fun to compete no matter your bankroll.