WSOP's $1,000 Welcome Week Freeroll

R

RiverRuin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This freeroll is run once every week, and only for new players, who get one ticket to enter it. They give away $1k.

Now I wonder, how can they give away so much money to so few new players? There are no high stakes tables running, so they can't be raking very much money, and there are only a handful of low stakes cash games running at any one time. There is virtually no Sit & Go action on this site. I played in exactly ONE SnG by being the first player to register, then waiting about half an hour for it to fill with 6 players, and it was only a $5 SnG.

But anyway, I entered today's tourney, which had a grand total of 21 players, 6 places paid. Three of the players are always sitting out; they must have registered and then forgot about it. So, leaving 18 players, I only have to outlast 12 to get in the money. Shouldn't be too hard with some smart play.

40 minutes in, and 6 are out. So I only have to outlast 6 players. I'm doing okay, up a bit, just biding my time. I'm getting a lot of pretty good hands. A/K 4 times, and A/paint several other times. I keep flopping bricks. Finally, I'm dealt Q/J. The flop pairs the Q, top pair. I bet, and called. Turn is a 4, I bet, called. River is a 6, I bet, am raised big. I call. Player has 6/4, offsuit. Huh?

Now, perhaps I should have pushed on the flop, but I have the feeling it wouldn't matter, cause it makes no sense that someone with 6/4 off would even see the flop, let alone call with nothing to see the turn and still have a crap pair (which was bottom pair, BTW) and still call to see the river to make 2 pair.

So I'm thinking, how can wsop give away $52k a year at the rate of $1k a week to a trickle of a dozen or so new players? Doesn't make economic sense. From where I'm sitting, it looks like they are salting this tourney with a few of their own players who are going to win, no matter what.

I should have written down the names of the winners just to see if they appear in next week's tournament to confirm what I suspect.

WSOP