Teensy Bankroll...what to do?

Katie Kards

Katie Kards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deposited $15 on pokerstars, and am going to play limit cash games. Should I play .02/.04 or .05/.10? Clearly it would be better bankroll management to play the former, but at that level is it even worth playing?

Also when do limit cash games start getting good? (In terms of skill and all that)

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play as low as you can. You only have br for the 0.02/0.04-- no other considerations can take any precedent.

Besides, not sure what you mean by "even worth playing". There isn't going to be that much of a difference between these levels really. Also, I hope you are not making the mistake of thinking playing against better competition is a good idea.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The $1 sng's are a good place to start.

TubaMark316

TubaMark316

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started with some money in PS...I jumped on the .01/.02 tables and am still kinda there...and yes, the $1 sng's are perfect! Do the 45 people ones, 1st place is $14. (I got second place in my first one which was a payout of $10 :D )

But make sure you watch for those Donkeys...they can NEVER fold their top pair!
UGH!!! :mad:

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. It is worth playing within your BR.

My br is not much different, and I have been successful at the micro micro games as long as I don't go nuts. I buy in for the min .80, and anytime I double it, I leave.

This isn't big money poker, granted. But it is a way to eventually get to big money poker.

You're money will go fast in the sngs. PS has 10 cent tourneys, $100 added.

I am not a fan of ring games most of the times, but the last 10 sits have been good to me, and don't require a long commitment time wise.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit at a table where you can buy-in for the max at that table, but not max of your BR. If you hit a monster and buy-in for the minimum you will hate yourself. And, if you buy-in for the max, hopefully less than half your BR (at $15), then you can re-buy when you get your strong hands busted by stronger hands.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But make sure you watch for those Donkeys...they can NEVER fold their top pair!
UGH!!! :mad:

yea I hate it when that happens,they always call my straight or flush , or even my two pr. , I hate it most when they won't fold that crap and let my bottom or middle pr win. :)

Katie ,stick with the advice of AG or DJ ,they know their stuff.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you get to $20-$25 start playing the $1 + $0.20 SNGs. They are easy pickings and an easy way to build your bankroll.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're money will go fast in the sngs. PS has 10 cent tourneys, $100 added.

Why should she waste 10 cents on what basically amounts to a freeroll?

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are trying to build a bankroll from scratch on stars, those .10 freerolls aren't a bad deal. They pay out like the top 800 or something. Granted it's not gonna be a huge cash out, but considering that stars doesn't do (that i've seen anyway, not counting the CC one) a flat out $100 freeroll like UB and full tilt, I would play this and figure that I can fairly easily place in the top 800 since you can pretty much just blind yourself out to that point.

KidPoker1986

KidPoker1986

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
15 dollars play a 15 10 dollar tourney or 10 sng then u cash and keep win just remember wen to stop cuz i dont

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deposited $15 on pokerstars, and am going to play limit cash games. Should I play .02/.04 or .05/.10? Clearly it would be better bankroll management to play the former, but at that level is it even worth playing?

Also when do limit cash games start getting good? (In terms of skill and all that)

Almost everybody except aliengenius jumped on what NL games/tournaments you should play and you clearly said limit cash.

I have found that the very lowest level at any site has the very new players and variance is huge. However, the very minimum recommended bankroll for .05/.10 is $20. I started at these lowest limits with free $5 and built my bankroll to something in the low numbers ($20-$30) while improving my game. At that point, I bit the bullet and actually deposited $200. With that start, I played .10/.25 and .25/.50 while practicing bankroll management. I had written down how much bankroll I needed to play each level and stuck to it. Eventually, I built up to being able to play $2/$4 (or 1/2 pound/euro when I could play those rooms).

After getting above the first level at a site, there is not a huge difference in the skill level in my opinion. If you can profit at .10/.25 you can profit from 2/4. You must, however, have the bankroll to cover variance whatever level you play and drop down if you must according to the plan you select/devise.

Last edited:
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stars has an excellent tourney for you. It is a $1 Horse tourney that plays at 9:45 ET. It is a real good limit tourney. And if you are any good you can place in the money very easy.

L

LorCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't forget about the freerolls. No buy in and it's pretty easy to make it to the money since they payout to 125-200 places depending on the tourney.

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a $10 BR, I'm fairly certain I can maintain it playing .01/.02 ring games. Once I make enough money for a buy-in in a tourney, such as a $5 SNG, then I do that. But I only play the tournies with money over my base BR. I have built up several BRs this way. I also like playing the $1 MTT SNGs on Stars but again, only if I'm above my base.

Yes. It is worth playing within your BR.
I buy in for the min .80, and anytime I double it, I leave.

I know a lot of people do this but IMO it is not a good strategy. If you are sitting at a table with a fish with a big BR, why leave with only a portion of easy winnings. I don't believe doubling is a godd measure to quit a table.

I do buy-in with the min. when under the base because I don't want to lose a big chunk to a bad beat. I only like the min buy-in in this situation though. You could be losing money in nut situations at the table simply because you didn't buy-in with the max.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YOU CAN'T LOSE A BIG CHUNK AT LIMIT! The most you can bet on a hand is 12 big bets. At .02/.04 that is $0.48 max. If you quadruple up your buy-in, you can still lose $0.48 max. At limit, there is a table minimum but no table maximum.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management