Online Turneys only take Hours not Days, WHY?

D

DLMoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone tell me why an ONLINE Turney with 5,000-10,000 players only takes only a few hours to finish When a LIVE Turney with the same amount of players take days to finish.:cool: :confused:

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am guessing that you are not buying in at $1000 or more, and are playing with what most people consider disposable income, so more people will donk it off.

Plus I think that in the live mega tourney (haven't played one myself...) that the blinds don't go up as fast.

On Bodogs daily 5000 person freeroll, 1500 will be gone in the first 15 minutes.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot more hands are played per hour. Dealing is automated, responses are faster, not talking, etc.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds go up faster, buy ins usually aren't as big, and you get dealt a lot more hands in an hour than you would see live. Oh and poker sites give you ~1 minute max to make a decision, in a live tournament you can sit there for 5 minutes waiting for someone to decide.

I

iamthepush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i played in a rigged online touney once, it was like i win a hand then someone else win one, then me again. lasted about 4 and half days.

it was really weird they rigged it that way, but what ever.

D

DLMoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK

Yeah, I can see why, but you would think they would last long then they do.:cool:
Blinds go up faster, buy ins usually aren't as big, and you get dealt a lot more hands in an hour than you would see live. Oh and poker sites give you ~1 minute max to make a decision, in a live tournament you can sit there for 5 minutes waiting for someone to decide.

D

DLMoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sleepy

Wow, when did you sleep???:cool:
i played in a rigged online touney once, it was like i win a hand then someone else win one, then me again. lasted about 4 and half days.

it was really weird they rigged it that way, but what ever.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

^^ this.

Probably one other thing too - it depends on the game and the venue, but quite often live chip stacks are deeper than online tournaments.

Take the Main Event of this year's wsop: two-hour levels, 20,000 starting stacks, and the initial blinds were only 50-100.

In the average online tournament, you might be starting with: 10 minute levels, 1500 stating stacks and initial blinds of 15-30.

That's a 200BB stack vs a a 50BB stack.

That said, there are some online tournaments that go for quite some time. Didn't the main event of the WCOOP at Stars run for like 19 hours the other week?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The deep stack tournaments on pokerstars take over 12 hours. The Sunday noon (EST) tournament is still running with 6 players left.

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of the all-in button. Weeeeeeee!

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like french's answer...but even at the livetables and tourneys you get the all in freaks.

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely the blind structures. Ft is having a FTOPS event that lasts 2 days, and wanna guess why?????? 30 min blind levels. before you start telling me pokerstars has some tourneys that run with 30 min blinds, remember that pokerstars blind structure jumps quite a bit.

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because it dont take the computer as long to pick who it wants to win online tournaments.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely the blind structures. Ft is having a FTOPS event that lasts 2 days, and wanna guess why?????? 30 min blind levels. before you start telling me pokerstars has some tourneys that run with 30 min blinds, remember that pokerstars blind structure jumps quite a bit.

it is not running for 2 days straight, it is a 2 day event.

You play the first day until a certain blind level is reached or until a certain amount of people are gone. Then, you come back the next day and finish the tournament. Full Tilt is making this a 2 day event because it is a $2,500 + entry fee buy-in...This is one of the larger tournament buy ins on the internet, if not the largest. They had this event in the last FTOPS and there were 100 players or so (cannot remember off the top of my head).

D

DLMoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks to all that responed to my Question. I have a much clearer picture now. Some things I did not consider. Thanks again---DLMoose

K4Lic0

K4Lic0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play tight till the first break, most likely more than half the field will be gone

D

DLMoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Just play tight till the first break, most likely more than half the field will be gone
Thanks, I'm learning that. It is hard to fold AK suited on the first few hands when one or two players go allin because you will lose most of the time. I can now make the first break most of the time. :cool:

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont forget that at every live event there's some idiot who keeps asking "Who is it to speak? oh me? how much was the raise?"
a full and difficult hand can take up to 10 minutes to be played, where as online, you have 30 seconds, no shuffling, automated dealing and when its your turn to act, you'll know.

P

porky v2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
easy the blinds move much faster online then they do live.. also your given a lot more time to think about your hand in live poker not just 30 secs

horghe

horghe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
plus it takes time to count chips, online is an easy number..but thats a miniscule diff, the real diff is the blinds and the buy ins, as has been stated numberous times above