Online Tourney

U

USMCbulldogs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether it's online or live being patient can get you further than you think. I want to speak about online play. Often times people lose a lot of there chips( going from 1500 to 800) in tournaments earlyon. And then here comes the all-in play, trying to double up. People need to realize that the blinds are still extremely small and if they "Just Remain Patient", they can gradually make there way back into the mix of things. Too many people rely on all-in moves to recover chips that they have just lost.
Playing online tournaments usually take between 4-7 hours depending upon the amount of players. So when you lose a big pot, just wait, be patient and work your way back up. Unless you have AA with a few people in the hand pre-flop, then build your chipstack back with patience and skill

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this a lot. I've seen people tilt-push with any two cards after losing as little as 25% of their starting chips. Until these people learn some discipline, they will never succeed in MTTs.

G

GabryRox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh soooo true! The day when I learned this lesson is the day that I became a winning player! I think it just took me a while to see the trends and to recognize them for what they reveal. Yes, I used to try to push early because a lot of poeple perceived my patience as weekness and tried to push me around (like steeling blinds, etc). BUT... I finally realized that patience is the key to doing well in these things. So you lose a few blinds early... they're cheap then anyway. Not saying I'm gonna lay down AA... patient and smart is the real key. Even if you lose a mid-size pot, you can still come back nicely with the appropriate amount of patience. I've been WAY down in some of these (especially playing Omaha-8) and come back to win them (mainly talking about 1-2 table tourneys here). I've never won one of the big ones (like the $1-$3 multi-thousand entrant PS tourneys), but have placed top 15 several times just being patient, playing the best hands and letting the donks & maniacs knock each other out.

It's a bit more difficult to do this in PS's turbo tourneys but it can be done in most cases. After playing a lot of those and then going to a refular speed tourney, it seems like you have forever at those lower blind amounts. Recently I have done very well in the 180 player $4.40 NLHE on PS, taking cash (top 18) pretty much every time I play. Still haven't broken the final table though, which is where the real money starts to come into play.