PokerStars Cancels LAPT Chile, Frustrating International Tourney Grinders

February 9th, 2018 by Chad Holloway

After a one-year hiatus, the Latin American Poker Tour was slated to return in March with the LAPT Chile. However, a month out, PokerStars has canceled the stop. In doing so, the once beloved poker site and live tournament sponsor has again incurred the wrath of players, and left in doubt the future of the tour.

PokerStars continues to make controversial decisions to the dismay of longtime site loyalists, this time cancelling the LAPT Chile just a month before the festival was set to begin. (Image: Carlos Monti/Carlos Monti)

Cancellation rumors began circulating when satellites for the LAPT Chile disappeared from the PokerStars client. Not long after, information was taken down from the LAPT Chile web page.

The LAPT site still exists, but shows only the two events that ran in 2016 under the PokerStars banner — LAPT Bahamas (since re-rebranded as the PCA) and the last LAPT Chile. The PokerStars Live site, meanwhile, still promises the LAPT is “Returning in 2018!” but has no events listed for this year.

Traveling Players Squawk

Earlier this week on TwoPlusTwo, players began posting that they’d received an LAPT Chile cancellation email.

“I’ve already bought all ticket for me and my whole family,” wrote poster mtaigo. “This is ridiculous … Nice way to get back to the old tours.”

Others seemed to agree.

“They really do seem to have lost the plot,” said PeteBlow. “The UKIPT was a really popular tour and they ditched that too. Last week’s London Festival showed that the demand is still there. Grosvenor and Party are making them look silly.”Poster “Adjusted” didn’t hold back:

“PokerStars is starting to implode. They chased away their most loyal grinders by treating them like 6 year-olds … The high rollers aren’t playing at Stars any more. They’ve let most of their pros go. The bean counters are in charge now. It’s not a poker site any more. I have no sympathy. Let it burn.”

The LAPT Chile was a favorite stop among poker players, and while it’s a no go in 2018, Casino Poker Enjoy, the host venue, is attempting to fill the gap by offering the Master Viña del Mar EPS festival, which will host 16 events from March 7-11. That includes a CL $90 million ($150K) GTD Main Event.

The Stars Group Responds

PokerStars, which recently experienced a huge online overlay, confirmed the rumors by posting an official press release on its Spanish blog, though they didn’t mention a clear reason for the cancellation.

“As we continue to review the possibilities of the Latin American region, the dates and the general proposal of PokerStars live events, we have decided to cancel the Latin American Poker Tour (LAPT) Chile,” the translated post states.

“We want to continue producing events that players can love and that can facilitate access to all participants in the region. To do this, we are perfecting our plans for PokerStars live sponsored events with the goal of presenting a richer, more exciting and solid event offer.

The post also thanks Enjoy Viña del Mar Casino & Resort for seven years of association, suggesting that the relationship has come to an end. It also revealed that PokerStars qualifiers already had money returned to their accounts, while the casino would be responsible for those who may have qualified locally.

The post wraps up by simply stating: “We will continue to keep you informed about PokerStars Live 2018 calendar and event updates.”

10 Responses to “PokerStars Cancels LAPT Chile, Frustrating International Tourney Grinders”

  1. malakata19 says:

    It’s a shame that tournaments like this one were suspended from noce to morning and even worse that there were already players who had everything arranged for the trip or who had won some place in some satellite. The truth that pokerstars is showing that poker is not as important to them as the casino. I think that if this were the case, poker in this room would become secondary, although it would be good to know the exact reasons why I canceled the tournament. Hopefully and another room could acer front strongly.

  2. darthdimsky says:

    Elky leaving, missed, SUN mil overlay and now this. So much negative press for PS one right after the other. It’s still not too late for them to turn things around.

  3. charlie2013 says:

    It’s a pity. It’s a shame. I noticed that the freerolls suddenly stop. I used to play regularly to get a ticket but I didn’t get. And there those who had bought tickets as well and I hope they got their money back. Maybe the relationship between cassino and pokerstars got stressful. But they could make other event in other places.

  4. albosaltenio says:

    it’s a shame how the biggest poker site in the world is acting, I would really like to know what the update they are talking about, with the same pretext they suspended the school league for a month but they never said well why.
    it would be a pity if the site ends up getting lost, because they are really on track to lose all customers.

    I hope that the update of they speaking will bring much more action than there is

  5. JRNorris95 says:

    I feel really bad for anyone who already purchased a ticket, but I agree with Pokerstars. Whenever hosting a tournament at a casino like that, it is a really heavy endorsement. Pokerstars has a very high reputation to uphold, if they didn’t think Viña del Mar was going to meet expectations then they have every right to back out.

  6. Ivansito26 says:

    this has happened is something disrespectful for many players both those who qualified online and in the casino itself, cancel a tournament like this is disrespectful and many had already booked another hotel and had the plane ticket, if pokerstars not I was seuro to continue with the LAPT so that they announce and promise, now they come out that they are studying new venues and that better things will come, rightly there are not as many pro as they had in previous years due to lack of seriousness

  7. Alexandr Svinarshyk says:

    Poker Stars should be set up to organize tournaments and not close them. 2 years ago there were many free freerolls, at the moment they are very few. I also wanted poker stars to host tournaments in every country.

  8. hugh blair says:

    Strange canceling that tour

  9. cheeeer says:

    Here it is. And you waited it so long. And…. That’s what you get.

  10. Hackerosito says:

    It’s a pity, as a Latino I’m excited about the Tour of pokerstars in the south again, but with this cancellation what creates us is more distrust for future events, I think a lack of respect, what a shame.

Leave a Comment