Atlantic City’s Golden Nugget casino is introducing a “live dealer” online offering that takes traditional Texas hold’em and transforms it into a casino table game.
Online Casino Hold’em is the latest live-dealer addition to the casino floor at Golden Nugget Online, with online players betting on real cards dealt by real humans in their Atlantic City casino.
In total, the Golden Nugget now has nine live-dealer online tables, offering blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and now Casino Hold’em.
Casino Table Game Version of Poker
Unlike traditional poker, Casino Hold’em is played against the casino instead of other players. Additionally, a player can make bonus bets alongside their ante and win extra prizes worth as much as 100X the bet if they make a ranked poker hand.
With this new addition, New Jersey’s Golden Nugget is establishing itself as a leader in live-dealer online games in the regulated US market.
The software they’re using comes from European casino games developer Ezugi, which is increasing its presence in the US.
Because live-dealer games require employment of licensed human casino dealers, Casino Hold’em tables will run initially from 3 pm to 3 am ET, Sunday through Thursday, and 12 noon to 3am ET on Fridays and Saturdays.
The minimum bet will be $1, with a max set at $250.
How to Play Casino Hold’em
Casino Hold’em was invented almost 20 years ago and was the first Texas Hold’em game to be played against the casino and not other players. It runs like a cross between limit hold’em and blackjack, and might seem familiar to Caribbean Stud:
- Player makes an initial bet (the Ante) as well as any bonus bets (for ending up with Aces or better) before receiving two hole cards
- Dealer receives two cards (face down) and puts out first three community cards (face up)
- Player can surrender their Ante and fold, or they can place a Call bet, which is twice their Ante
- If Player calls, Dealer completes the community cards with a turn and river before revealing hole cards at showdown
- Dealer needs a pair of 4s to qualify
- If Dealer doesn’t qualify, Player wins their Ante and pushes on their Call
- If Dealer qualifies, the best five-card hand wins, according to the table below:
Royal Flush = 100x payout
Straight Flush = 20x payout
Four of a Kind = 10x payout
Full House = 3x payout
Flush = 2x payout
Straight or less = 1x payout
Live Dealers Online
Live dealer games have been popular in Europe for a few years, but only now are starting to make a showing in New Jersey. Golden Nugget Online also offers live-dealer blackjack and baccarat.
Golden Nugget Senior Vice President Thomas Winter told the Press of Atlantic City that the new game is an effort to respond to player feedback.
“Our patrons have asked, and we are happy to deliver, on this request using our unique live-dealer digital platform,” Winter said.