Your opinion on 10 minute breaks

soLdaTeS88

soLdaTeS88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5 minutes break is enough. 10 minutes is already a lot, in such a time you can fall asleep))

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I liked your idea, it would be much better to take 10 minutes!

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinion

I have not yet seen a tournament with 10 minute breaks. Why is this being discussed here? Where do tournaments take place with such comfortable breaks?

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem here is that we can clearly see people thinking of the breaks as something customized for themselves ("5 minute break is anough to me", "10 mimute would be better for me", etc.). There's no way something will always be good enough for everybody. It's impossible ta make everybody happy.

That being said: I think a good alterantive would be to have 5 and 10 minute breaks on intervals of every 2 hours of game. As in: First 55 min of game + 5-minute break, the 2 hour (1h50 minute) with a 10-minute break, and so on. This way we could have the second break larger for those who need the time for a quick bite of something else other than a quick scape to the bathroom.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what could you do in 10 minutes that you cant do in 5? Maybe take a dump but that is all. We have microwaves now so 5 minutes is perfect. Tourneys are long enough.

E

elpolloloco95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think 5 are more suitable... dont c no advantage when its 10 min

D

dayontour

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5 minutes is a good time to have a break.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can sit out and relax if your chips allow. This is a completely legal tactic. Fast tournaments don't need long pauses.

A

Akena

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5 minutes is the best, otherwise we quickly have time to lose focus of the game!

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think its too long, specially if it is online. live its ok. you have time to do the walk bathroom etc.. but online you can take you laptop ou cell phone anywhere so no need for that long

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 minutes is not necessary ... 5 is enough for breaks and even more so if you are in long tournaments

S

Stollpe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 minute breakes would make slow blind structure tournements even longer. They can already last 8-10 hours with the current breaks.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be fine if every other break is 10 minutes. However, I agree with the previous the break should not length slow structure MTT. I would be fine the site would reduce the number levels of late reg to allow for increate break time.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In my opinion 5 minute breaks are appropiate in online games. But a bigger break like 25 minutes or 30 minutes after 4 hours would be a good thing, when it is to expect, that the MTT will last around 8 hours or more. Latest after 6 hours should be a bigger break.
In live games there are no 5 minute breaks to the hour, but there are 20-30 minute breaks after 3-4 hours and this makes really sense to me, because in an other job you also have usually after 4 and latest 6 hours a break of minimum 30 minutes.
And you are free to do 5 minutes every hour, but with running time.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that a medium term would be fine
Breaks of 7 or 8 minutes would be ideal, 10 seems a lot to me

I think it would make the most sense to have a progression where the breaks to ITM are 5 minutes, then 10 minutes per hour and 15 minutes prior to the final table, and finally back to 5 for the remainder. I find that after 4-5 hours I have to eat something/take care of a chore/something else that needs more than 5 minutes, but no one should need that much time at the outset of a tournament IMO.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually I would like to see shorter breaks and less often breaks. While I understand the need for a break every so often it just seems to be to much. The worst ones are when there is 2 or 3 left in the tournament. There is nothing like a 5 min break when your heads up and only have 10 BB each.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the other hand, so that it remains for 5 minutes, if you wish, you can do everything, or ask the family members to make a sandwich and bring coffee. 10 minutes will only increase the tournament time, which can sometimes last for hours.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
this is a very provocative and sneaky post . what is the reason for it ?

It's just a suggestion. :confused:

Myself, I make meals in advance when I know I'll be playing MTT's so it only takes me a minute or two to warm them up and have them ready. If you're not able to do this, then perhaps get someone else. No? (seems pretty straight forward to me)

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 is perfect. Just enough time to make a Jack and Coke, quick sammie, and toilet break. 10 mins would mean twice the food and drink. Not good.

D

drakongad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in tournaments where there is a break of 6 minutes and this is enough to get energy for the longest game, a big break in my current will relax concentration

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a long break, five minutes is more than enough for us to always be focused on the game because 10 minutes could cause us to lose concentration with very obvious distractions because it would be a long time before the tournament returns, so for me five minutes is more enough for you to solve some things at the right time.

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you start a tournament, you count on how long it will be. (Especially on weekdays.)
Not only am I counting, but I've reached the final table - so I know what the challenge is. True the feeling of euphoria helps to hold on:rolleyes:

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would love to see 10 min break every second hour instead of 5 every hour.... 5 mins is just not enough to do what i need on a break

Great point. For example:
10-min breaks at X:50 and no break at Y:55 where X is odd and Y is even. No 5-breaks every hour at all. I'd really like to see that.
When ITM or Final table, I'd say there is no point in breaks (if it's not a free- or centroll touney but about $3 or more buy-in one) — in that case, you want to finish the tourney as fast as possible and you're already excited.

Last edited:
cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A 10 minute break ever other hour would be okay with me 15 mins of break in 120 mins is about the max I would be comfortable with..