WSOP Big 50 shove decision Day 2D 8.5 BB

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ll cut straight to the chase here. This isn’t a whole hand analysis. I just want to know what our shoving range is here. We are about half way through level 19 of The Big 50 wsop event in Vegas. Over 1 million for first place, we are in the $1001 payout bracket currently with just 70 minutes remaining to significant pay jumps in Day 3. But we just lost a race with AQhh vs TT and are now the short stack with 8.5 BB (170,000 chips). We have about 5 hands to double up. Assuming it folds to us, what range are you shoving for your tournament life in the Highjack at a 10 handed table?

Hijack range is what I’m most concerned with you can also share how that range changes if we have to fold up to UTG. The tournament structure has the BB post the entire ante for the table so the BB is effectively 2 BB. Are you jamming any 2 in the BB or attempting to play 6 BB the next orbit?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For reference I have attached the range suggested by the SnapShove App. I only have the free version so this range is for a 9 handed table with no antes. I suspect antes should increase our range and being in the hijack still means we have 4 players behind us at a 9 or 10 handed table so this should be close but I would still appreciate second opinions.

Attachments

• E04666B9-62BF-44CE-92FB-5171327C88EF.jpg
    E04666B9-62BF-44CE-92FB-5171327C88EF.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 16
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I’ll cut straight to the chase here. This isn’t a whole hand analysis. I just want to know what our shoving range is here. We are about half way through level 19 of The Big 50 WSOP event in Vegas. Over 1 million for first place, we are in the $1001 payout bracket currently with just 70 minutes remaining to significant pay jumps in Day 3. But we just lost a race with AQhh vs TT and are now the short stack with 8.5 BB (170,000 chips). We have about 5 hands to double up. Assuming it folds to us, what range are you shoving for your tournament life in the Highjack at a 10 handed table?

Hijack range is what I’m most concerned with you can also share how that range changes if we have to fold up to UTG. The tournament structure has the BB post the entire ante for the table so the BB is effectively 2 BB. Are you jamming any 2 in the BB or attempting to play 6 BB the next orbit?

Top 24% 22+ A2s+ A8o+K9s+ KTo+ Q9s+ QJo+ J8s+ JTo+ T8s+ T9s+
(according to Jennifear's charts)

Top 32%
(according to CodeRed charts)

How deep are players yet to act (especially blinds)... and are they calling off correctly?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top 24% 22+ A2s+ A8o+K9s+ KTo+ Q9s+ QJo+ J8s+ JTo+ T8s+ T9s+
(according to Jennifear's charts)

Top 32%
(according to CodeRed charts)

How deep are players yet to act (especially blinds)... and are they calling off correctly?
Thanks for your reply. The 4 players behind have between 25-40 ish BBs. Unfortunately tables are breaking rapidly and this is only about one orbit into a new table so we can't really know if they are calling off correctly but we may not be able to afford to wait for a better spot either as each successive hand will have more players behind and possibly a raise in front.

Interesting how different SnapShove's 22% is from Jennifear's 24%. Jenn seems to favor high card combos over lower suited connectors. Most notably favoring 12 combos of JTo over K8s, 98s, 87s.

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The antes are often very significant to our shoving range, particularly in live tournaments where, due to color ups, some rounds have a much steeper ante (when viewed as a percent). The way to always stay on top of this is to think in terms of the “ante adjusted big blind,” and the best way to do this is by taking the starting pot (blinds + antes) and multiply that x .66 (two thirds) to get the ante adjusted big blind.

In a pinch, another trick is to add the small blind and the big blind together and think of that as the ante adjusted big blind. Though not as accurate as the x.66 method, it can be helpful when you don’t have as long to calculate and is certainly better in my experience than otherwise not adjusting to the ante. In general people underadjust for the ante, particularly in live tournaments where the ante in general tends to be more significant.

I don’t have the structure for the Big 50 in front of me so I can’t say shoving ranges for certain while not knowing the ante/starting pot size—but my guess is your stack is more like 5.5-6 ish blinds in the HJ once we adjust for the ante, so I’d be shoving a bare minimum of at least 40% of hands here and most of the time quite a big more especially as we are at the point where even taking a slightly negative edge should be something at least starting to enter our mind.

Now this is one way in which I find live poker and particularly WSOP events so much fun—because there are tables where I’d would shove close to any two here whereas there just wouldn’t realistically be a table in online poker where that would be the case. If I have a very tight image (which I tend to have more of live as a woman than online) and I believe the players behind me are not regs and very likely calling too tight (as an average player certainly will be in this spot) then it could easily be profitable to shove 75% (or even more) of hands.

Hope this helps and best of luck in the WSOP!

WSOP