"Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time"

Socialpro29

Socialpro29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wanted to share this GREAT book about tournament strategy for online MTT players. I have read it twice now cover to cover and I am constantly going back to it and reviewing different hand types and position based play. The authors are Eric "Rizen" Lynch, Jon "Apestyles" Van Fleet, and Jon "Pearljammer" Turner. The way the book is written each author takes a turn presenting you with hands from tournaments they have played, the start with setting up the hand with their position at the table, effective stack sizes, what the know or dont know about each opponent at the table, and the hand they have been dealt. They then go through their entire decision making process for making the choice that they play. They go through this process for every street pre-flop, flop, turn, and river. What really drove it home for me was they didnt just choose hands in which they won, they include hands in which they lost, hands where they ended up having to fold etc.

I recommend this book to anyone that is looking to improve their game, find leaks they are unaware of, or simply just to see how other winning players are playing the game. I just started on Volume 2 of this series and it has not disappointed as the content is strong and relevant to todays game. As always good luck grinders!

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I will check it out!

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is a good book =)

George Lewis

George Lewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did read this a while ago and it was interesting. My perspective on tournaments is you must be supremely focused at all times. One dumb decision and you can be toast. Even when something goes wrong not all is lost. Stay focused. These players know this and when they lose a hand they can shrug it off and keep focused. This is especially true when making a deep run. Hours of play and then suddenly you "space" and do something foolish and wham! you are out in 15th after being the chip leader with 20 left...These guys are showing all types of hands in an attempt to show you that every hand matters and every detail adds up. I always try to combine these readings with comparisons to my own play. Read and enjoy

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, good reading.

The real trick is to be aware of your thought process and your situation. Sometimes you just feel like you can't win no matter what, and others like you can't lose. I don't mean "I feel a 542 flop coming just in time for my 63o" or "I know he he'll hit that AQ will crack my AA" but when you see the right spots for aggression to chip up or lay down big hands when villain's range is too strong. These are signs that you're fully engaged, finding the right spots, and making the right moves. Or maybe you're not in it 100% missing some spots and trying too hard in others.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands