Why so many add on tourneys online?

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thought the purpose at live tourneys was a dealer appreciation extra bonus for personel. Kind of like a somewhat forced tip by all.
Looking at tourneys on intertops it seems ninety percent are rebuy add on type. Big difference is they offer add on after rebuy period is over, and its for much larger amount than you get for starting chips, which is more like cheating those who have more chips than others. Maybe I am wrong, but who benefits most from this?

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After thinking about it, most of these tourneys have minimum guarantees, and I think they need the help to cover them.
I avoid them also.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
R+A is just a different format, and if you dont like it, then no need to play it, since there are lots of online tournaments without add-ons :)

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is beneficial for online poker rooms, the higher the rake, the greater the benefit. Previously, there were tournaments with rebuys, but they do not take rake for rebuys, so they made re-entrys for which they take rake. All cash games and tournaments have done turbo, reduced the time on the blind levels, reduced the time to think about the move, all this increased the rake in a unit of time. But this was not enough for them, they also took the rake itself and increased it, previously they took 10% of the entry amount for entering the tournament, now they take 12%, in cash games they also increased the rake.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, this is a normal situation. It is profitable for the room and possibly for some players. But it is necessary to achieve results, because in any case, everything is equal.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is beneficial for online poker rooms, the higher the rake, the greater the benefit.

At the end of the day player demand dictates, which games are offered. pokerstars actually have very few R+A tournaments left, and presumably this is because, they were replaced with more popular formats like PKOs. 888 Poker still have a decent amount of R+As, but they are not the most popular tournaments on the site, and therefore also not the biggest money makers.

Originally most sites only charged rake of the initial buyin but not the rebuys and add-ons, and this actually made R+As a bargain for players. PokerStars however changed that back in 2016, and 888 Poker changed it with their updated tournament schedule a few month ago. This however does not mean, R+As are now overly raked. The rake is just the same now as in other tournaments, which at the end of the day is totally fair and reasonable.

As for why someone would play R+As, I mostly play them on 888 Poker to get my 4 tables up and running. I dont particularly love them, but I dont hate them either. Sometimes during the rebuy phase, you can take advantage of loose maniacs getting it in way to wide and build up a big stack. You can also gain some advantage from players not purchasing the add-on, as they absolutely should. So on balance R+As are probably still among the more profitable MTTs to play on 888 Poker, if you understand the correct strategic adjustments.