Why are SNGs not as popular as they once were?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit&Gos are now considered not as profitable as tournaments. After all, bounties and knockouts have appeared, where you can build your bankroll.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you cannot win a big amount of money by playing them and the rake is quite high so its not easy to make a profit in the long run.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Easier to play cash or tournament because of schedule. I hated registering for a SNG and it wouldn't have a full field an hour later. Would have to drop out before it started and just felt like I was wasting time.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I previously played a lot of the SNG 9, 18 and 27 play. I mainly played the 9 man.

The rake is now much higher on these games. 15 years ago, these sites actually chipped in on the payout so that the payout was larger than the sum of the entries. They would run these bonus games maybe once every 2 hours. Their version of a free roll. 27 people put in 10 cents and the prize pool was $3.00 to the top 9.

People were allowed 3 of these per day. I would come register for a freeroll and while I waited, I would get into one of these. Then when I lost the freeroll, I would sign up for a second one.

I found it much easier to reach the top 9 of 27 than to reach the top 3 of 9. Not sure why that was.

I think it was a cheap way for the poker site to get people hooked on their site. After playing 3, I would play some of the raked ones. I played a lot of dime and dollar SNG's back in the day.

I think the lack of players on some of these sites are the biggest reason SNG's are less popular.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
on many online sites the small stakes 9 handed sngs

get raked too hard , even the turbos . and bigger ones (say $50 or more ) are too risky due to easy collusion possibilities ( texts ,phone ,facebook messenger , etc ), HUDs , and access to real time computer assistance. the average player without technical assistance( even an otherwise strong one) is at a significant disadvantage .