Why did I Shove (99 vs. UTG Limp, 7bb deep)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whole table is about 10-15bb deep and UTG who has been push/folding for the past few hands decides to limp from UTG... Meanwhile I have been running real bad for 20 hands in a row (no hands worth shoving given the multi-way shove-fest every other hand) and get pocket 9's (in the small blind)... Everything in my gut screams "Pocket Aces!!!" (or kings) and yet I still go ahead and shove.

Low and behold she flips aces. Sly move... I would have folded if my stack was just a bit bigger :p. She snagged 3 extra bb from the overlimpers who folded to my shove and her call.

I felt like I had no choice, did I still make the right move here?

Last edited:
armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends also what was your current position in the tournament. But I would also check the flop without any raise of course.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a player that is just shove/folding, yes limp under the gun is a red alarm, but a tough situation indeed. Maybe just a raise to see what he is going to do, or just a limp to get as many players in as possible to leave him a bit scared with his Aces. tough one though

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never know when I should really jam on pockets pre-flop...……. Can be such a tuff call most of the time. That blind luck gotta be on your side for sure hahha;);)

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn't make a mistake.
Yes this time it turned up to be aces but they could have any pocket pair, JQ, QK, Ax.
I know how it feels to lose your chips and not think you made a mistake but sometimes you just get coolered.
Well played regardless of the result.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Less than 10BB against an otherwisely reckless (or <10BB shortstack) your shoving against a much wider range than KK, AA.
More often than not you'll either make K10/AJ+, 22-88 fold or call here, you're flipping against half opponents range 2-handed. Nö mistake in my opinion.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Less than 10BB against an otherwisely reckless (or <10BB shortstack) your shoving against a much wider range than KK, AA.
More often than not you'll either make K10/AJ+, 22-88 fold or call here, you're flipping against half opponents range 2-handed. Nö mistake in my opinion.

And you sir have just received your first 'Like' here on Cardschat, lol.
How's it going? Merry Christmas! Good to see you!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
With less than10BB I would have just shoved there. Yes her limp should make you think but you are so short there is not much choice unless you are very certain you are beat here.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your stack size makes it a shove IMO.

The majority of times where I've seen people limp UTG they have not had a premium pair, in my personal experience I've seen hands like A-rag, 44-22, and J9s much more often than AA-QQ,

L

LiamParker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi I agree with most, you made no mistake, less than 10 bigs and it's fold or shove, with 99 it would usually be a shove. Unless maybe you wanted to make the money and you were very close to it but it doesn't sound like it (was you already in the money?).
Anyways, most of the time that would be the correct decision but this time it sounds like you coulda made a hero fold with your gut instincts.
I know it is annoying that you put them on that hand, but it is good to know that you did actually put them on it as next time you spot the same signs maybe you will be more confident with your instincts.
:trytofly:
GL at the tables!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion, I did it right given the opponent’s game, this is a plus solution at a distance, it’s just not lucky

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the pointers guys :). Next time I play her and she does this it will be a fold though lol. I did perceive her as a strong player who realized someone will shove over her limp and she'll get some extra blinds in the process, and possibly an extra stack from one of the limpers.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did right thing, but when someone after raising few hands suddenly limps, alarm must be on. Call to see flop in this situation maybe would be better, but again, jamming with 99 and 7bb is not bad play

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whole table is about 10-15bb deep and UTG who has been push/folding for the past few hands decides to limp from UTG... Meanwhile I have been running real bad for 20 hands in a row (no hands worth shoving given the multi-way shove-fest every other hand) and get pocket 9's (in the small blind)... Everything in my gut screams "Pocket Aces!!!" (or kings) and yet I still go ahead and shove.

Low and behold she flips aces. Sly move... I would have folded if my stack was just a bit bigger :p. She snagged 3 extra bb from the overlimpers who folded to my shove and her call.

I felt like I had no choice, did I still make the right move here?

totally fine to shove here. It is not Always the Aces limp trap, UTG could have a weak Hand aswell

I wouldve just call and see the flop.

worst Thing you could do multiway with 99 OOP

either push or fold, NEVER call in this spot

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely you were to tilt. You did not have the normal hand for 20 hands. When you were 99 you have decided that it is a signal to act aggressively. I think that you played correctly. You and the whole table was short stacks. You have a strong hand for the situation.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Oh man , I remember when I used to play extremelly tight , very boring , at the end I had 1-2 blinds , or less LMAO . You'd better not be results oriented , better see on the long run your winrate for certain situations and call/shove best solutions/choices :)

Last edited:
Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you made a mistake, unless you have a really strong read on the utg player. If you call with pocket 99, what are you going to do when higher cards come on the flop? You are out of position in the sb and if you check and utg bets you won't know where you are in the hand. Also, if lower cards come on the flop, what are you going to do if you bet and get raised? Throw away the hand and be left with less than 10 bigs. You have 10-15 bigs with pocket 99 in small blind and no real betting strength being shown at the table, I say push and pray! :) It didn't work out, but I don't think you made the wrong move.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no mistake here with 7BB 99 is shove no matter what the result was the hand is well played