At the bubble: Take a risk with a good hand or not?

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me I prefer not to take risks .

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It always depends.

What is the game worth to you? Are you going for the win or do you need to min-cash?

If you are going for the win, then there is a whole lot to consider depending on the situation, position, stack sizes, etc.

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, always in different ways - more often it depends on the size of the prize money

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Depends on the situation in general. That is, I mean that it is important to consider your stack size, your opponents' stack size, the format of the tournament, and your prospects. Everything is relative.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There have been games when close to the bubble I have even folded A/A it was a hard decision to make pre-flop but when a bigger stack shoves all-in and he gets a caller I can sit back and see if I made the right decision, most of the time I was right folding, and have made the bubble, even laddering up to eventually hit the Final Table.
Once in a hand I folded K/J of clubs close to the bubble, as someone had shoved, then on the very next hand called with pocket 9s against 3 other players, taking the pot down and the funny part was one of the callers had the K/J of clubs which I had folded one hand earlier. I made the FT and finished 2nd. :)
Go with your Gut! If it is telling you to Fold then just Fold!

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In such a situation I would prefer NOT to take any risk ,,unless I have AA or KK,,and with QQ will just call

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on how many players behind you to act. also the amount of payout, and the strength of your hand. If you feel lucky, gamble and take a shot at winning.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, in my opinion it depends on each situation. If I'm playing an expensive MTT where I won a ticket and the ITM value is high I prefer not to risk it, now if it's an MTT within the limit I play and I try to make the correct move, if the theory says that to go from 3 All in, I do it calmly.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When I reach the Bubble I wait a few rounds to see the behavior of the players because they change the way they play during the Bubble so I don't risk it at the start of the Bubble

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends but usually I fold .risk free

KevinRBTV

KevinRBTV

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually take risks foolishly. But it already cost a lot of money 🙈🤷‍♂️

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Lots of things to think about, my stack, how aggressive the table is at the moment... it depends on a lot of variables

pankoffff

pankoffff

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On the bubble, if you have a big stack, there's an opportunity to steal blinds from short stacks, since they're most likely waiting for the prize zone.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
As usual, it depends...,
but near the bubble most play very tight, so this is a good opportunity to play agressive with good hands when you are in position and nobody raises before

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi. I think if I had a good hand I play to get value from that and depend of the situation, position and stages I try to get more chips from this hand.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In this situation, it's much more important for you to get to the ITM than to double your chips.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
But if you are deep stacked, you have to press the shorter ones because the push fold in this case will be too big.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If you want to win money and you have few chips, you clearly have to wait. This is true even if you already have so few chips that you almost certainly won't get into ITM. With few chips in this case, even an AA or KK can be a fatal hand, there is no harm in suspecting that it is a trap. This is precisely why many players drop out before reaching a paying position.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It really depends on each specific hand, but I've folded even AKs

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it would still be reasonable to wait out the bubble and only after that take risks !!!

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends on the moment and how much I'm going to bet, sometimes it pays to take a risk

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always used to try to limp into cash and fold some big hands
CC taught me I’m playing for first, one final table is worth many min. cashes
So, I get it in good at all opportunities 👍

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends. Position, what has happened in front of you? How many behind you? Chip stack? Are there many in the pot?
Folding is hard to do but may be prudent.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands