When someone says "I'll show you"

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When someone shoves all in and that would put you all in and you are sitting there wondering if you should call for your tourney life and they say "I'll show you", does that always mean they want you to fold? If they wanted a call why would they say that? Love to hear from others experience on this one.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If they want a call, they're probably saying it to make it look like they want a fold, which then hopefully induces a call.

My opinion is that people do this with both monsters and bluffs, so the best thing to do is take a bit of time to try and work out the situation & player; see if you can establish whether they're trying to scare you off or lure you in- then do the opposite.

What's their stack size & position? How aggressive have they been? How far til the money? Lots of things that could have implications.. x

C

chippyrob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my eyes it usually gives a tell that they are bluffing most of the time so i would call lol but my results would show i lose most of the time so i couldnt really give an accurate answer to that very interesting...

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could be reverse psychology where they want you to think they want a fold but they in fact want a call or they could think you think it's reverse psychology pushing you to call even they in reality they want you to fold so they make it seem like they want you to call. Very confusing

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ha Ha I love these answers!!!! Last time it happened I just sat down at the table and just entered the tourney so I didn't have much info on the guy. He went all in after the flop which had a pair of 9's and a low card. He raised pre flop so I thought his chances of hitting that flop where pretty slim. On the other hand I really didn't want to bust on my 3rd hand of the tourney (I was worried about AA or KK), so I made a mistake and folded QQ. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. He showed AJ Ahhhhhhh!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often they have a good hand but not one that they want to see the flop and river with.

Preflop I have seen players do this with JJ and below and also AK AQ AJ.

After the flop they usually have a made hand but there are a lot of draws on the flop. Or, they have the monster draw and are willing to gamble and then jawbone you to fold.

Hope this helps.

Good luck !

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience this is mostly a sign of weakness...
Without good info on the opponent you should probably just ignore the chat/ table talk and base your decision on the cards....

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience tells me table talk like that has two intentions....present a confident image and interrupt your thinking as you try to analyze the play. In you hand your analysis was obviously correct. You just needed realize that his all-in made no sense. If he had a big hand why scare you off? He would be looking to collect some of your chips with some type of value bet. He threw you off just enough.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
lol thats me in some occasions trying the reverse psychology , i want them to think i dont have nothng but i HAVE :D

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha Ha I love these answers!!!! Last time it happened I just sat down at the table and just entered the tourney so I didn't have much info on the guy. He went all in after the flop which had a pair of 9's and a low card. He raised pre flop so I thought his chances of hitting that flop where pretty slim. On the other hand I really didn't want to bust on my 3rd hand of the tourney (I was worried about AA or KK), so I made a mistake and folded QQ. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. He showed AJ Ahhhhhhh!

In my observation, when an opponent open shoves on the flop like that, they are typically no better than TPTK. The reasoning is simple. If they hit a monster like trips/set/full house, they want to get value from their hand and a shove will usually cause anybody who has a semi-strong hand to fold. Granted, there is the concept of an "overbet". This is where you intentionally bet very large to make it seem like you are trying to get a fold and hopefully get your opponent to call. However, you don't see that move very often, especially at low stakes.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They're obvioulsy trying to mess with your hand. Your best bet is to ignore them and assess the situatation and bet accordingly.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They're obvioulsy trying to mess with your hand. Your best bet is to ignore them and assess the situatation and bet accordingly.

Agree with this guy. I think more often than not, that's a sign of weakness. Especially if they are offering without being asked. But sometimes you'll get someone really excited about their hand, or saying it to show weakness when they are very strong. The only thing definitive is it polarizes their range a bit when they offer that without being asked. You can either spend your time trying to figure out the player, or spend your time analyzing the hand. I'm more inclined to go with option B, you're more likely to get to the correct answer that way unless you're excellent at reading people.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the dick aggressive loose player says I'll show, it's a bluff. If it's the nice conservative friendly guy then he means he has it.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the player. Some may tell the truth to reverse psycho you to call if u see it as weakness, some will put you in sticky all in situation with medium (good but not monster hands). Some will have nothing but mostly they have some sort of medium card at the very least.

K

Karl Hernandez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ist not really About your Opponent, but About you.

If you are a good poker Player, do what you think is best.

If you are bad. Do the Opposite , but then again, Maybe thats the reason you are.

Jokes aside.

I think that this Phrase is used for a bluff more often than not, atleast thats the way i would use it.
And obviously i would show them my bluff afterwards if it worked.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love this line when a player takes it. Its so really player dependent and I have learned to ignore it unless I really know the player.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that what the player says or writes in the chat has nothing to do with his card as in different cases and different players act differently !!!

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I agree, who cares about their blah-blah anyway? Better take your time and think about how the hand was developing, does his range could make more hands bigger than yours or it looks more like a pointless bluff? Are there enough draw hands who just missed. Do you have any blockers for the monster hand villain could have? Of course, if you have enough reads and villain often talk crap when he is bluffing, I would take it into consideration too.

K

Kaban

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to predict the outcome of this risk is worth it or not to solve every ... ;)

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They want you to fold. They have a hand but they know there are a lot of outs that can beat them.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why I go all in I want a fold from everyone. All im interested in is the money in the middle of the table. So If you see me all in I have the top three starting hands.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you don't know your opponent, it's useless information. Keep them talking and see what else they'll share...

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Let me tell you
The best steategy online poker is to not give any attention to any one
Same live poker
If you start worrying abt other players you will probably lose focus
Rgds

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I met this only once and guy told how he said it to someone. He was pretty confident about his hand, he wanted a call. It sounded like: if you call - good, if not - Ok, I'll show you. Difference was: someone asked him "will you show?"

He went all in after the flop which had a pair of 9's and a low card. He raised pre flop so I thought his chances of hitting that flop where pretty slim. On the other hand I really didn't want to bust on my 3rd hand of the tourney (I was worried about AA or KK), so I made a mistake and folded QQ. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. He showed AJ Ahhhhhhh!
Probably he was confident about his AJ as a pair of 9's before. Did you ask him "will you show?" Did he really care about the answer or was it more like: Ok, I'll show you anyway?

If the dick aggressive loose player says I'll show, it's a bluff. If it's the nice conservative friendly guy then he means he has it.
Yes, looks close to the truth.

Last edited: