When the luck put you out of the tournament

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are Daniel Negreanu, Phil Evy, or any of the best players in the world, you will call all-in with K-K, and surprise, you will figure out that your opponent has A-A, and finish the tournament for you! this is only one example about when you play perfectly but you find yourself out of the tournament.
Sometimes the player who put you out is a very bad player, and just get lucky against you.
If you are a regular poker player, you will meet these situations permanently. this is in my opinion the most painful thing in poker.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
This is part of poker, from time to time this happens to everyone. I see no reason to worry here.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
These situations happen, but there is nothing extraordinary about it. In such cases, I try not to get frustrated and continue to focus on my goals.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
If you are Daniel Negreanu, Phil Evy, or any of the best players in the world, you will call all-in with K-K, and surprise, you will figure out that your opponent has A-A, and finish the tournament for you! this is only one example about when you play perfectly but you find yourself out of the tournament.
Sometimes the player who put you out is a very bad player, and just get lucky against you.
If you are a regular poker player, you will meet these situations permanently. this is in my opinion the most painful thing in poker.

Hi
Sorry to defer on this.
Your observation of a pro player going all in with KK, maybe wrong.
They know what could happen with an Ace on the board.
Surely they would raise or call a raise but not go all in and risk elimination.

But than I agree on the luck factor too.
That's why many say that skill and luck go to make a good game of poker.
:):)

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am talking about KK as a starting hand.. if someone go all-in you are forsed to call with KK

Hi
Sorry to defer on this.
Your observation of a pro player going all in with KK, maybe wrong.
They know what could happen with an Ace on the board.
Surely they would raise or call a raise but not go all in and risk elimination.

But than I agree on the luck factor too.
That's why many say that skill and luck go to make a good game of poker.
:):)

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill. Luck also plays an important role. If every time you have bad luck you will be very worried, then you will never become the player you would like to be. Do not lose your temper, such situations are temporary and should not unsettle you.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I am talking about KK as a starting hand.. if someone go all-in you are forsed to call with KK

That’s exactly my point
You are not forced to call.
There are factors governing that call.
What stack?
What level?
Opponent history!
Etc..
Just my opinion

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course luck is a factor. There are so many times that I get a hand that my gut tells me it's going to smash the flop, and it does. Sometimes I play it and sometimes I chicken out. Luck will always be a part of it, but you can't forget about the skill and reading ability.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can not control the luck.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
You are right but you have to continue not always going well because they play dumb in my case several times I pass and as they say if you fall you have to get up and move on

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much of poker is luck, although some say that poker is skill alone, but those players like Negreanu, receives a lot of publicity every time you reach a final table.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I usually only play freerolls for the reason of luck. I run very bad. Online is rigged so the probabilty is a bad beat is even higher online. I just know it will strike at a terrible moment because I have so many bad beats happen to me online.

In cash games you can come back. In tourneys a bad luck moment means three wasted hours. Or worse.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash games you can come back. In tourneys a bad luck moment means three wasted hours. Or worse.
Sorry this really doesn't make much sense because,
Most tourneys offer rebuys - to facilitate cash game players propensity to stack off and loose and want to reload. It's available now - in tournaments. :)

Yes - cash games you can reload - and come back - but you are reloading for the entire stack/buyin, whereas in a tournament you are rebuying (if a person chooses to) for a small amount compared to the prize pool.

Additionally how does it feel in a cash game when you run it up to 3-4 times the buyin only to get it in with AA vs KK and loose on the river? Same as it does when nearing the final table bubble only to loose with AA vs KK. Making back 2-3x buyin vs making final table and having a chance to take home 50x the buyin. Same feeling - like 3 wasted hours or worse.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a very essential weapon in poker, it does changes lots of thing while playing. Which can lead to winning almost any poker game.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Dont worry about it.That can happen to all.Just relax and keep on.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
That type of play happens a lot, and I think it's normal, it has happened to me many times and when they ask me how was it in the tournament? My answer is: I played like never and I lost as usual lol, this is part of the game, many times it helps in a better decision making in the future

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing wrong in that. ill tell you that its almost impossible to fold pair of Kings in any situation!!! if someone folds they should be called a master, yoda i dont know!!!! i think and i might be telling a lie here, that the only case i would think about folding KK would be, and again iam lying here, if there was 1 player left for the money, or if there was one player left the the final table. those are the only two situations i would think about folding KK.

C

canfoldaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once had AA in a final table and villain had KTo . Board KTTXX **** my life

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive played fer a while and have seen all kinds of people donks and good ones play all kinds off cards if pros play crap cards and win they are whoa yup players if you or i do same thing we are donks. hmmn you get lucky play the cards you get and hope fer the best everyone wins once in a while and if you go tthe cash flow weell have at er

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call that sort of thing in poker an inevitable collision.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even worse is when KK gets destroyed by Any 2.

I was close to making the final table of the weekend 1k and I had the tourney chip leader on my right for the past hour begging for a table change. He was opening 4-6x every hand and going to the river on every hand, and he was getting super lucky making the best hand by the river at least 70% of the time. He was also calling any preflop shove with any rag Queen or higher - and - amazingly I think he lost only one hand doing that. His stack just kept getting bigger and bigger.
I could not play back at him because I had a middle/small stack about 20 bb and didn't get dealt anything playable in the blinds/LP. So no need to mess around and miss out on getting into the bigger payouts.
Finally hit the final table - and he stayed to my direct right.
Very first hand Pocket Kings - Yes! I had about 15bb and the big stack was at least 80+ bb.
He 5x opened. Well - no need to slow play here - I shove.
He calls with 8/4 suited. LOL and hits two pair on the flop.
I'm out in 9th. Just - poker. Can't do anything about it. gg I'll get ya next time. Count on it.

Last edited:
C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is dangerous pair. I spotted that i haven't won even a half of this hand. I recommend to be carefull with this hand.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree I had two straight tournaments that I lost with AA and got called with AQo and 98s and got outdrawn by players basically giving away their stack. It’s tough to watch someone who’s clueless beat you

vadimcs1495

vadimcs1495

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is poker. you are not insured to win:party:

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This scenarios (KK vs AA) are called coolers and most pros accept them. It happens to us all. Also when a player plays bad and has luck, actually the pros are happy somehow, because they know the play in a correct manner. They know that in the long run, their play is making them money