What's the point in knocking people out early in Bounty tourneys?

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
In progressive super-knockouts the early knockouts are not that valuable, usually you have to get 4 to break-even if you don't make the money in regular prizepool

However the early gameplay in these tournaments is very extreme, all-ins even from "bounty experts". Good players, bad players all uniting just to spam the pot.

Bounties are gonna be there later on, progressed... so whats the point?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Having the table chip lead is a big factor in these games, so as well as competing for and winning multiple bounties you’re also gaining the ability to put maximum pressure on the rest of the table whereas no one can do the same to you.

Taking the overall tournament chip lead and being the bounty boss are reassuring and confidence-boosting, it’s easy for them to become too much so however so it’s worth watching out for that too.

All in all there is just too much of the prize pool allocated in head prizes to not compete for eliminations much wider than we’d put in the same amount of chips in a non-bounty MTT.

Plus the aforementioned benefits of being the table chipleader… ;)

pansipos

pansipos

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips

I don't like it, it's very violent, if there's a good card or not, sometimes I feel frivolous, I don't really like playing there​

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The point is not in the early bounty... the point is in the early chip stacks, you need to be there later to win those later bounties since that's where the money is in progressives, it's normal to see a lot of violence as the person above me mentioned, progressives are just always going to be more aggressive than a standard KO with regular bounties, the payouts make it not worth worrying about a single buyin in, if that's not your comfort zone I would skip it

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In progressive super-knockouts the early knockouts are not that valuable, usually you have to get 4 to break-even if you don't make the money in regular prizepool

However the early gameplay in these tournaments is very extreme, all-ins even from "bounty experts". Good players, bad players all uniting just to spam the pot.

Sorry, not much time here but I wanted to point out that the bounty is not the only or the main thing you go for early in those tourneys, the chips are actually the important target and for a couple of reasons...

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when your bounty prise isyou have high and you have good cards and you go all in .many players will call you for nothing , just for a chance to get your bounty and thats how you make more money very quick

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning 25% of your buyin is anything but "pointless". But of course there are people, who overadjust to bountys and/or just want to gamble, especially if you play in the micros. If you dont like the way, PKOs play, and dont want to learn and make the correct adjustments, then play something else ;)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
At the beginning of a PKO tournament, we are not interested in increasing (or not increasing) the bounty for us apart from getting the knockout part, which is paid immediately for knocking out any player. If in a regular knockout tournament for knocking out we immediately receive the entire reward, then in the PKO tournament we receive only half. The size of our bounty changes accordingly. This means that with an equal reward for knocking out opponents in PKO and KO tournaments, it is 2 times less profitable for us to knock out opponents in PKO tournaments than in regular ones.Recently I was asked how many tournaments in a row I have to lose for this to start to cause me anxiety. They also asked me when I start looking for leaks in my strategy.In progressive bounty tournaments, players with the same stacks do not have the same equity, unless all stacks are the same.Many players make the mistake of playing intuitively and play too tight early on. Although it is at an early stage that knocking out an opponent in both KO and PKO gives a very big benefit.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I still think playing PKO tourneys with "winner take all" style is the best strategy

bardhylmemaj

bardhylmemaj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AL
Chips
It's a moment game mode. He's a bit aggressive, but also tougher and nicer. If the day is good, you win much more than a normal tournament.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips

The point is going deep early

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
early knockouts will give you an advantage over other players in terms of chips and you will be able to put pressure on other players with your chips on the table and they will play with you more carefully

F

freerobert

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Early bounties are a good way to avoid losing your entire buyin before you reach the money (which can often be difficult and only 20% of players make it).

maybe early bounties allow you to play more tightly later in the tournament when you have nothing left to lose

with strong hands you can call big stacks that want your bounty and therefore call with weaker hands.

once you're big stack and smaller stacks challenge you and go all-in, be careful not to pay too much for weak hands just to collect a bounty. Chips you own are always valuable. Lost chips are more valuable than newly won chips.

Yes, I know...some say play for the bounties when you have a lot of chips and as a chip leader your chips are worth less than those from small stacks. however, you should carefully consider what you play based on your cards. A small stack tends only to play very strong hands that aren't easy to beat. and you don't want to double it up just for a slim chance of a small bounty.

Bountys are nice to have and nice to hunt, but not with all hands at all costs.

You don't play for the bounties in bounty tournaments either, you play for the first 3 places in the tournament. As soon as I deviate from that, it's over.

Last edited:
choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Good point well made -- i never thought about that. I play mainly knock-outs/bounties cos as you say you can get your stake back so its free or even make money just from knocking people out, which i have done. And if you finish in the money - you get a nice surprise when you get your winnings added! I normally stay away from going all in unless I know I've got the nuts or 2nd depending on how its going and like you say take people out with general poker play. I dont try to do it just for the bounty.

Viz

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Once of the biggest issues I se in PKO tournaments is the people going for the early bounty. Say they going on a $5 /$5/ +$1 event. They are so concerned with getting that fast bounty they over gamble. They will call a 100BB 4 et with pockets 3's to win that bounty when a fold all day is right. If the do win they pocket $2.50 and he rest is in the bounty for them. Winning 4 bounty's at the min does not even cover your buy in.

I tend to just play my normal game in the early staged. Yes i bit more willing to go for it but not that big time. In the middle stages and later are different. I always look for spots to grab a bounty but smartly and am bit more concerned about snagging the bigger bounty's over the smaller ones. By not pushing to early when its crazy, i will grab the bounty's of those players in the mid stages as they never tend to slop down an piss the chip advantage away.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over valuing bounties through out a tournament is a big issue for some players, but as other people have mentioned there's value in building a stack in the early game to give you more chances at future bounties, particularly in the mid-stage where you find more short stacks that a big stack can call
without affecting their tournament position. the bigger issue is overvaluing bounties in late game where your chip's ICM value is higher than the value of bounties.

Here's an example, you're on the bubble of a $5.50 PKO with 5500 entries. Top prize is $900 with another potential $1000 in bounties. You're in the big blind wKQ off and 31bb and LJ shoves for 14bb. These are the spots where a lot of players incorrectly gamble late in a tournament when it's not for most or all of their chips, but you're playing relatively tight in these spots:

If you think some calls are too loose in early or mid stages of a tournament I'd suggest checking out some of the PKO solutions in GTO Wizard or another solver to see what a 'correct' calling range is preflop versus raises/shoves.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me, the KO tournaments are distinguished only by the reward that we get when we eliminate one of the players, which makes us recover the buy-in or more than that before reaching the paid seats, and the latter makes us play more comfortably and focus, I think that the regular or KO tournaments are no different in anything related With skills or strategies, winning first place always remains the most important goal
Good luck

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Being a large stack and having our opponents covered does help in Bounty tournaments.

I think knockout at any time is good in Bounty tournaments.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I tend to just play my normal game in the early staged.
I do too, and my main concern throughout the game is to win enough chips so that I can get to the final table. If the bounties come in, then that is the icing on the cake. :)

Mayomayhem

Mayomayhem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Best reason is to gain more chips for later and get the knockouts you can get.
You might end up facing someone with not many knockouts at the end or not get many knockouts yourself both of which has happened to me before