What’s a good ITM ratio?

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's nice to get into the prizes, but it's much nicer and more profitable to get to the final table. You can get into the minimum prizes 50 times, but if you win the tournament, you will overlap the amount of winnings of the previous 50.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I think 20% percent would make me a happy person, and 30% are infinitely happy:)

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'd be lucky! & considered a great player if you cash 27%, FT from 5-9 is usually not much, so FT in general @ 10% is achievable but still very high, realistically will probably be more like 3-5% & top 4 @ < 3%

TsUponU

TsUponU

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO, ITM is a decent guide but doesn't really tell you much about a player's ROI. Deep payouts reduce the prize pool on the FT and are designed to get a lot of players their buy-in back but shooting for the FT is always my goal. Playing in a lot of these because they increase your ITM is kinda pointless. Because you can be ITM but not even get your buy-in back. I really don't like playing the deep payouts because even if you get to the FT a lot of the prize money has been spread so thin, it's really a waste of time. These are good for practicing some new strategies and improving your game by applying your studies to see what works for you. I have about a 5-8% FT ratio with an overall ITM of around 17-21%, depending on how I'm running. Another thing to consider is field size. I like a lot of heads-up and 3-way tournaments, so a 60% or better ITM is a must, or you're going to be negative ROI. Good practice for when you get to the final 3. FT is my goal, but the top 6 is the place to be if you want your ROI to really start going up. If you're going to have a decent ROI making this range in tournaments should be the goal. I have 2 top 3 finishes and 4 final tables with one chop in my last 35 tournaments. In the end, it's all about ROI.

Consider this: You're buying into $3k guaranteed tournament for $15 1st is $1100, second is $800, and third is $590. If you hit 3rd place, you get 39 buy-ins. So you have to hit that spot 1 in 39 or 3.6% of the time to break even if we ignore ITM. If you can get to 2nd you get 53 buy-ins and so on. The approach to tournaments is to hit these goals more often than the minimum break-even combined with a decent ITM. This is where ITM comes in. So if you can FT 1-25 or 4% of the time or 4 times out of 100 tournaments, the likelihood you will make money drastically increases. This is where we start to look at ITM. The more often you hit ITM to reach this goal, the more you make when you do FT. So if your ITM 15-20% of the time and FT 3-4% of the time, your ROI should be decent. To me, reaching ITM is the last resort to recover my buy-in, but the real goal is to get to the FT. I get KO'ed often on the bubble because I'm not playing to make ITM. I'm playing to get to the FT. Don't get me wrong, I'm not foolish, hitting ITM is an important long-term goal, but I'm not folding a top 9% hand because I want to make ITM when near the bubble and close to going out. This can also depend greatly on who's at the table and their style.

If you make ITM the goal, it's likely your going to be going out often near the bubble or just above it. If you make the FT your goal, your ROI will increase. This, of course, all depends on how good a player you are. Today's players are usually pretty good compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

Also, remember that if you are in the US, the government is going to steal nearly half your winnings, reducing your overall ROI by around 42% to 50% in Fed and State Taxes.

Last edited:
fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The percentage of ITM has no value at all, maybe you can have 90% ITM and never make money, while with 1% you can make a profit. What most determines a poker player is the ROI as they tell you above.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Original post is from 2018, so OP likely dont have this question any more. But still relevant of course, and the answer is, it depends on the strucure. In heads-up or DoN, where half the field cashes, you obviusly want to cash more than half the time and often enough to beat the rake, whatever that is. But if you are playing a 2,2$ satellite for the 109$ Sunday Million, you dont need to cash more than 1 in 40 times to show a nice profit. Really the question is meaningless, and its much better to focus on ROI (Return Of Investment).

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey all. I know we all want to win every tournament we enter but that’s not possible. Even cashing every tournament is unlikely (even the top pros).

So what is an acceptable ITM and FT ratio? In your opinions?

I think 50% cashing and 10% final tables would be considered quite good but maybe I’m way off. What do the more seasoned players think?

Edit: thinking about it I guess final table is tough to quantify as it’s easier with a 100 person tournament vs a 1000 or more so let’s just look at ITM.
I would also like to know more. I would like a tutorial to learn more about this.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hello guy, that is a nice question. But you must to observe the difference of play a freroll and a cash tournament. To get ITM in a freeroll is a very good result, but if you pay a buyin to the tournament just get ITM is not SO good. You really need to arrive at FT to get a good return.

Jonathan Freake

Jonathan Freake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all. I know we all want to win every tournament we enter but that’s not possible. Even cashing every tournament is unlikely (even the top pros).

So what is an acceptable ITM and FT ratio? In your opinions?

I think 50% cashing and 10% final tables would be considered quite good but maybe I’m way off. What do the more seasoned players think?

Edit: thinking about it I guess final table is tough to quantify as it’s easier with a 100 person tournament vs a 1000 or more so let’s just look at ITM.
I'm thinking anything above 10% would be a good ITM percentage! Good Luck on the tables.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think the most important thing is to focus on the ROI because you can have a good ITM ratio but a lot of min cash

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20 - 30% ITM and 5 - 10 % Final Table should be good

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard before that top players do not get into the prizes so often, but they just go further in the prizes

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say about 20 percent.